Page 1 of 2
Alright so I leave for the dorms in about a month. It's about time to start looking for a combo amp (im not taking my stack haha). My budget is about $500 and it doesn't matter if it's used or new. I do not want solid state and would like it to be around 30 watts or so (yes I know 30 watts tube is VERY loud but I can get a power brake). Is there a tube Marshall combo in this range? I tried the Hot Rod btw and I wasn't a big fan of the muddy distortion.

Peace and thanks for any help, Kevin
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
oh I play alternative, punk, and some blues
Gear:
Traynor YCV40
peavey classic 30?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

so a yamaha pacifica 112, and a peavey valveking 112, your good to go

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
the peaver classic 30 is sweet
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
I'm looking at the video's of the classic 30 right now and I really like it very jcm-800 like in my opinion. Which is the sound that I love.
Gear:
Traynor YCV40
Quote by Awaken
so a yamaha pacifica 112, and a peavey valveking 112, your good to go

i disagree on the valveking and ive never heard anything good about the yamaha so i'll have to disagree once again

Quote by DerikIsEric
fender blues junior is quite nice

a nice OD pedal with it and yr away.

this i definitely agree with

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Awesome suggestions, thanks all of you. If they're anymore suggestions, the amp can be completely clean with no distortion as long as it's tube. Like DeriklsEric said I can always get an OD pedal.
Gear:
Traynor YCV40
+1 for the Peavey Classic. You can get one used for around 350-400 USD
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Probaly a peavey classic 30 as everyone has suggested or maybe a used vc30 if you can find one, they're good.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Quote by SG6578
Awesome suggestions, thanks all of you. If they're anymore suggestions, the amp can be completely clean with no distortion as long as it's tube. Like DeriklsEric said I can always get an OD pedal.

well if you get a single channel amp and crank it naturally it'll distort and then you can use an OD to push it even more. i do that it with m fender

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote by timzee117
well if you get a single channel amp and crank it naturally it'll distort and then you can use an OD to push it even more. i do that it with m fender

Yea but without getting kickout out of the dorms first?
Gear:
Traynor YCV40
youre not going to want anything thats 30 watts in the dorms. Just get a epi VJ combo and a multi fx. Trust me.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
ive got a blues jr. at school with a fulltone ocd. i love it. its not too big so it doesnt take up that much room but still sounds great.
Agile AL-3000 HSBF>
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz V1>
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1>
Hardwire CM-2>
Delta Lab Chorus>
EHX Holy Grail>
Boss DD-7>
BBE Sonic Stomp>
Digitech JamMan>
Blackheart Little Giant
Palomino series is nice. I have the V16. You can get a V32. I dunno if they still sell them anymore. Nice amps.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Quote by md41
Palomino series is nice. I have the V16. You can get a V32. I dunno if they still sell them anymore. Nice amps.

I was actually looking at those to, how much distortion is capable on one?
Gear:
Traynor YCV40
Quote by forsaknazrael
Even a Valve Junior is pretty loud. I'd check out the Blackheart Little Ant.
Yes twice to those, also for college a Blues Jr - Crate V18-112 - used Pal V16. All would suit what you play with a good Od in front. The V18-112 may not need an od tho. Classic 30 would as well be good but a little much for a dorm room.
I'd suggest just getting an audio interface like the Line 6 Toneport.

It's small, let's you use headphones, and you can record with it.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by SG6578

Not very much, but that's what OD pedals are for
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
the only thing i was going to add is you said: you could always get a power brake.

WhichWhatHow Much? And is that in your amp budget or in addition? Or a friend's?

Thought being - if you gig, and use an attenuator at school, then maybe a higher wattage Classic 30 or otherwise could suite you more once Summer time hits again or you graduate.

Otherwise, I would give my left pinky for a BH Little Ant, whenever they come out.
Quote by SG6578

in my opinion, very. my friend has one and he can get an iron maiden type distortion out of it. and thats without an OD
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
I just moved out of my dorm at college (going into year 2..)

Your not gonna be alble to make a peep of noise somedays, so dont bother with something loud.

Or use headphones.

But, to answer your question, what about a valveking? I love mine
Cracker - I seriously doubt the Vavleking is what he is looking for. He plays alt punk and blues. He would be better off with a:

low watt tube like a BH or BJ or
higher watt amp and alternuator (and something he may get more out of later)
SS/Hybrid amp with headphone jack

not all dorms are the same - some let you crank it up and some are very strict.

plus he can go used. What about Craigslist.com my friend?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 24, 2008,
I problem I need to clear up, anyone that says the valveking does not do punk is stupid. I play punk, and I have a valveking 112. The fun knobs on the top are there for a reason Use Them. Plug into the unimpeded input (#1) back the gain off to about 1/8 to 1/2 depending on your tastes (1/2 is approaching a VH tone) and kick in both the gain boost and volume boost. Turn the A/B switch to A if you enjoy a more vintage natural tone, or A/B if you want to sound more modern. The resonance switch sounds cold when put in "Tight" mode, and it breathes better in "loose" So I really don't want to hear that comment again, because it does work for punk. Thank you very much. And Don't argue with me if you haven't tried it out at these settings.

Now to help you,

You guys have only mentioned the Valveking 112, maybe there's other valvekings than that? They carry a 8 watt version of the valveking that sounds great. Other small amps I've heard sound great are:
Fender Champ (3 stars)
Peavey Windsor 20 watt studio (comes WITH power attuenator as you put it "power brake" built into the amp like another regular control, 4.5 stars)
Vox valvetronix series (don't underestimate these) 5 stars
Again, palominos are good 3.5 stars
Orange tiny terror, 5 stars
Again, a valve junior, 2.5 stars
A fender Pro junior 4 stars (they breathe soooo well)
or blues junior. 3 stars

I haven't heard the Fender princeton recording series, but they do have a "power Brake" onboard also

In this price range you can afford to get a decent pedal if the distortion's tone isn't exactly what you're looking for. I recommend an Ibanez tube king, Reissue Tube screamer (the ol' faithful) Or if you want to be REALLY original and still sound great, go get the English Muffn' From EHX, you'll really be surprised at it, Don't trust the video at the website, it doesn't even begin to sum up it's abilities, go demo one yourself. you'll have to play with it but trust me, I know that it works well.

Hope this helped
Quote by timzee117
peavey classic 30?

Meh, I played that amp and I wasn't very impressed with it. It had a pretty nice clean sound, but it's distortion was lacking. I've played better solid states than that amp.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Ghold125
Tiny terror

No, not for a dorm room.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Yes tiny terror for a dorm room LOL it's called a terror for a REASON!!! so you still have the abilities to piss people off if you want. it'll get annoying when it's 11 at night you're trying to study, your neighbor won't stop screwing his girlfriend, and you need some stress releif for 5 minutes or so... lol....

I HAVE THE ANSWER!!!! anyone know that Zvex effects actually makes a miniature tube amp for a relatively good price, keep in mind you'll need to purchase a cabinet for it however. I listened to the demos, and it sounds pretty good for the size!
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's called the Zvex Nano.

I'd just get the Blackheart Little Ant. Cheaper.

ALOT CHEAPER...
Quote by Ghold125
Tiny terror

+1 very good quality for what they are! And that's what you'd expect from Orange. I'm looking to purchase one this year with a 212 cab (I don't know what brand that will be yet though).
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by EnyoAdonai
+1 very good quality for what they are! And that's what you'd expect from Orange. I'm looking to purchase one this year with a 212 cab (I don't know what brand that will be yet though).

way too loud for the dorm. I got complaints with my EPI VJ combo. and my dorm was not quiet at all.
Quote by EnyoAdonai

I don't think they're good value in the States, anyway. 600 dollars for a 15 watt, one channel, EL84-powered head? No thanks.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't think they're good value in the States, anyway. 600 dollars for a 15 watt, one channel, EL84-powered head? No thanks.

Actually I owned one and thought it was alright, but like you said I paid $550 for mine and it sounded good but for $700 I picked up my DSL-50...enough said. I was actually looking at a VJ head and then bitmo modding it for more gain. I don't want the combo due to the 8 inch speaker that kind of sounds way too boxy for my tastes. I think I'm going to build a 1x12 cab with a greenback and save some cash. I'm still kind of looking at the Blues Jr. though.
Gear:
Traynor YCV40
Page 1 of 2