I see two ads on craigslist, and I have $500 to spend, I just sold my PS3.

One of them is a very used Crate Blue voodoo 100W Tube head and matching 4x12 cabinet, sale for $500 used, but very cosmetically damaged.

The other is a 100W Solid State Carvin amplifier, a few years old. It's $250, but it runs for $330 new.

I want to be able to gig with any of them. I have heard mixed opinions about both Carvin and Crate, as in some people think they're great and others tell me they're not.

I'm going to get one of them. Is it really worth it to spend 250 more on a tube?

I want to play heavy rock and stuff, but I want to use my pedals, and be able to run my pedal straight through the clean channel.

Also, just so you guys know, for the past year and a half I have been using a Line 6 Spider 15, which really sucks. Either of the above amps would be an upgrade in my eyes.
Why do you want to use pedals through the clean channel?

If that's what you want, just buy a nice Fender tube amp and call it a day, but you're not going to get nearly as good of a sound as you would using the amp's distortion.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

If that's what you want, just buy a nice Fender tube amp and call it a day, but you're not going to get nearly as good of a sound as you would using the amp's distortion.

Because Fender tubes cost alot more. The blue voodoo head alone, is $750. I'm getting the head + cab for 500.

I want to use pedals because I use alot of effects during songs and stuff.

Would the Carvin 100w stand up to small gigs?
What model is the Carvin? I have an SX300 head that is actually very nice. The cleans are warm but never muddy sounding, and the overdrive channels sound pretty good too, though they don't have as much gain as I'd like. Also since these are on craigslist it shouldn't hurt to see if the people will let you try them out before you commit to anything.
Also, my head is very loud, I have a jazz gig at the restaurant I work at every Wednesday, and If i turn it past maybe 1 and a half I overpower our sax player.
Last edited by rokket2005 at Jul 20, 2008,
The carvin is an SX200, 100watt. It has almost all the features of the sx300, but it's a combo, not a head. It has their british made, not american loudspeakers(Which I hear are better than Celestions even)

I'm really edging towards the SX200 now. It's alot cheaper, does what I want it, and I'll have money left over for a Seymour Duncan SH8n Invader, and a George Lynch SH12 Screamin Demon.

The SX200 also has two 12' speakers, not one. They have larger magnets, so I don't think it would break up as easy.
You never really told us what kind of music you play most often. I would advise that if you are going to be using a lot of gain for metal type stuff the Carvin might not be your cup of tea in that regard. I'd still try them both out if I were you and determine which price is most justifiable for the tone you're getting.
I don't have any intentions of using it for it's overdrive, really. I don't play straight metal, but more just hard rock. I use my pedals alot anyway on my current amp, I only use the clean channels.
i think the blue voodoo is garbage. You would probably be better off getting the carvin.

if you have a $500 budget why are you only limiting yourself to those two choices?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by injected
Because Fender tubes cost alot more. The blue voodoo head alone, is $750. I'm getting the head + cab for 500.

I want to use pedals because I use alot of effects during songs and stuff.

Would the Carvin 100w stand up to small gigs?

Fender Tube combos can be found quite cheap, why do you need a halfstack?

If you want the best sound possible, I'd suggest using an amp with a good overdrive, there is no pedal that will make a tube amp sound better than its natural OD tone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thread is full of fail

...You say the Carvin is SS... The Blue Voodoo is all tube and rather respectable. It will also be a horrific amount louder than a cheapy SS 212.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Thread is full of fail

...You say the Carvin is SS... The Blue Voodoo is all tube and rather respectable. It will also be a horrific amount louder than a cheapy SS 212.

The only people the Blue voodoo is respectable to are players who know nothing about good tone and only buy an amp with glass in the cabinet.
I'd still go for the Blue Voodoo, even though it's a rather lacking tube amp.

Because, you can always tweak the tone via tube swaps if you want to fine tune it.

But, try out both plz.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by al112987
The only people the Blue voodoo is respectable to are players who know nothing about good tone and only buy an amp with glass in the cabinet.
...Yeah.

He has two options. $500 for an alltube halfstack, and it will be a great upgrade from his Spider. Not necessarily the best option, but find a better amp/deal for equal money.
Quote by JLT73
i think the blue voodoo is garbage. You would probably be better off getting the carvin.

if you have a $500 budget why are you only limiting yourself to those two choices?

Ditto!
But out of those two choices I'd go with the Carvin , really trouble free, and my experiences with Crate amps and their parent company (SLM) for support is NOT GOOD!
Crates are problematic with cheap boards (IC'S) and lousy Chinese tube chassis'
Ultimately it's your dime ,........Good Luck

Or! you could buy my mint RANDALL RG80 -112SC ($400.00)
I LIKE IT RARE!
theres a peavey tripple xxx on philly craigs list for 400 bucks
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by al112987

Yeah! Like Marty Friedman!

Wait wat.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
TS, if you insist on using pedals for all of your distortion, you might as well go with the Carvin. Honestly though, the best sound you're going to get from those choices would come from the Blue Voodoo's onboard gain.
The other guitarist in my band uses the BV120.
It's very Marshall-esque sounding. More of a mid-gain, mid-rangey amp.

I don't know what type of music you're playing or pedal you're using (I'm assuming it's some sort of Multi-Effects pedal). IMO, most of those are dogfeces compared to the sound of a tube amp. Assuming you're talking about using a multi-effects unit, I would buy the BV, and a decent overdrive pedal to front end for more gain and a tighter tone (I suggest a Digitech Bad Monkey if you're on a budget), and use the multi effects pedal only for chorus/delay/modulation, ect., and not amp/cab modeling or for any form of distortion.
I believe the BV has a footswitchable effects loop as well as a volume control for the loop (Don't quote me on this though, I'm trying to pull from my memory), which give you more a little more ease in using your effects unit.

Hope this helps.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Or you could spend your money on a nicer tube amp
**cough**,cough**Classic 30**cough**cough**
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
See what I told you guys about "mixed opinions"?

What's your guys take on a Peavey Valveking 212?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp?sku=481443&src=3SOSWXXA

It's 100W all tube. I see one used on CL for $500. Seeing as it's only $100 more new, I could probably negotiate the guy down to $430?

But then again, I don't know how good Peaveys are. I owned a Rage SS for like 3 days before I took it back because I didn't like it.
Last edited by injected at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by injected

Well, of course there's going to be mixed opinions, and you need to read and consider which advice fits you best, and not worry about what someone on the internet thinks about your choice of gear.

..unless of course it's a Marshall MG.

I would suggest the VK for harder rock, instead of the Classic 30 which was suggested earlier.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
It seems opinions vary in terms of the quality of the equipment and how they hear it. For example, just take a look at the Line6 15w and 30w ss amps on Musicians friend, now look at the reviews. Alot of them tell you it's a great amp, when it's really not. :S
im also looking at the SX200.

i would recommend it. cause the way i look at it is if the product has Carvin on it, its a good product....its all made in the USA....which is like a sin these days....

im bout to pull the trigger on one..

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Line 6 Spider III 15 watt
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Yamaha, Lugwig, Pearl, CB Drums
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
Quote by bojangleman

i would recommend it. cause the way i look at it is if the product has Carvin on it, its a good product....its all made in the USA....which is like a sin these days....

Alex
COUGHthat's a pathetic reason for buying an ampCOUGH

The VK is worse than the Blue Voodoo. No character, it's just bland.

People rag on Crate because it's a Crate. They sound perfectly adequate.
Quote by injected

What's your guys take on a Peavey Valveking 212?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp?sku=481443&src=3SOSWXXA

It's 100W all tube. I see one used on CL for $500. Seeing as it's only $100 more new, I could probably negotiate the guy down to $430?

But then again, I don't know how good Peaveys are. I owned a Rage SS for like 3 days before I took it back because I didn't like it.

You don't need 100 damn watts. Hell, you don't even need 50, if it's a tube amp. If you got a Peavey Classic 30 (Peavey's tube amps are awesome, way better than their practice SS ones [even though the Rage is pretty good for a practice amp]), and stuck an OD pedal in front of it, you'd be set for both volume and tone.
Plus, they can be found used for $300-$400 quite often.
Quote by sjones
Well, of course there's going to be mixed opinions, and you need to read and consider which advice fits you best, and not worry about what someone on the internet thinks about your choice of gear.

I would suggest the VK for harder rock, instead of the Classic 30 which was suggested earlier .

I love my VK, but the C-30 is a little better. It will do hard rock very nicely, especially with and OD pedal.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by MrCarrot
COUGHthat's a pathetic reason for buying an ampCOUGH

why? cause last time i checked, things that are made in America dont fail....but ones that are made in china do...COUGHbehringer and crateCOUGH

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
Quote by bojangleman
why? cause last time i checked, things that are made in America dont fail....but ones that are made in china do...COUGHbehringer and crateCOUGH

Alex

There's A LOT of things that are made in America that fail.

Ever heard of Ford?

I rest my case.

I kid, I kid.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
hahahaha...true...true...

Quote by MatrixClaw
There's A LOT of things that are made in America that fail.

Ever heard of Ford?

I rest my case.

I kid, I kid.

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
Quote by MatrixClaw

Not a great idea. The speakers in most cleans-oriented Fender combos are not well equipped to handle heavy distortion.

That being said, I might just be a moron. Golly knows I don't even know where Ruby's com from.
Blue voodoo for sure imo. if youre playing hard rock and want something for gigs its pretty much ideal. and its ridiculously loud, i played a few gigs with it and didnt ever need it past 10o'clock (and that was outdoors). but it obviously comes down to what sounds good to you
Why bump a five month old thread?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by sjones

I would suggest the VK for harder rock, instead of the Classic 30 which was suggested earlier.

Funny thing is, I actually don't mind the MG.
Quote by bojangleman

Alex

just like marshall MG!

its got marshall. it must kick ass and be worth dropping $350 for it.

Personally, i'd go for the blue voodoo in this case simply because i play lots of metal, but in this case? it might not be the best choice. Used is definitely the best way to go in terms of value.. but it'll sort of defeat the purpose if you buy an amp that doesn't fulfill your needs.

have you checked out much in your local music shops as well?

Quote by shadow__666
Why bump a five month old thread?

ah jesus.. xD just saw that now.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Jan 25, 2009,
The blue voodoo is pretty cool. A lot of people hate them. Marty used them back in Megadeth for a bit of time. I played through one during a recording session but it wasn't actually on the album. I thought it sounded pretty good actually. I mean it's no 6505 or anything but with an OD pedal in front of it it's pretty nice.
The Crate blue Voodoo has a good modern gain sound. It's alright i guess. I love Carvin. My 1980's Carvin x100b is my main stage head. I have owned a Carvin solid state 2x12 three years ago and it sucked so bad. I am a die-hard Carvin fan. But the solid state line? No way. I have a friend in another band in town with the Blue Voodoo head and he loves it. If your money is burning a hole in your pocket and you are hell bent on getting one of the two, do the Crate. Fo sho.
AL
This thread is 6 months old guys, let it die.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com