how do you do it?

im learning one by metallica, i use a hard pick but still cant do it, i cant get it fast and it doesnt sound right
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
When i was learning how to tremelo pick i just slowly did the up and downstrokes until i was comfortable with how the string felt when the pick hit it. From there on i just kept practicing it and slowly increasing my speed until it sounded right.

I use 1.5mm gauge picks usually, i noticed that with thinner picks it is actually easier for me, but they feel like they give me less control. It comes down to what you're comfortable with personally i assume
i can tremolo pick on any other strings but i usually rest my palm on the low E string, which is the string i need to pick,
i dont know the gauge but i use either a H or M (depends where i am)

Originally posted by GOD
Quote by akm_202
i can tremolo pick on any other strings but i usually rest my palm on the low E string, which is the string i need to pick,
i dont know the gauge but i use either a H or M (depends where i am)

I don't remember there being any tremolo picking as such in One, at least not on the low E

There's some very fast alternate picking in the double-time section but that's palm-muted anyway so you shouldn't have any problems.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ That's what he's talking about. I think.

Try holding your pick so that its not exactly parallel to the string. That helps a lot. Another thing that helps is holding your pick so only a bit of it is sticking out.
Quote by leephan
Try holding your pick so that its not exactly parallel to the string. That helps a lot. Another thing that helps is holding your pick so only a bit of it is sticking out.

Yeah but then if your pick is worn out with a rounded tip it sounds crap.

Just start out slow, rest your hand on a part of the guitar if necessary and make sure your picking is clear. Forget speed for now.
yeah thats what i meant, the machine gun bit,
im pretty much done with the song (aside from the solo, im too beginner to do it)

Originally posted by GOD
Quote by Vixus
Yeah but then if your pick is worn out with a rounded tip it sounds crap.

Just start out slow, rest your hand on a part of the guitar if necessary and make sure your picking is clear. Forget speed for now.

The heavy riffer's scourge, the rounded pick tip.

Keep it slow at first, making sure every stroke is even, and not more powerful on either stroke. yeah, and fanning your fingers out is a bit of a bad habit, as the increased force it takes to redirect your hand momentum slows you down and unevens your technique. if you've got the strength, and like the way it looks, go for it, but it's still a bad habit.
Just a few points about nomenclature:

Tremolo Picking: Picking as fast as you can. Tremolo picking is typically represented by three diagonal lines under a note in TAB format. Tremolo picking is not necessarily in time.

Alternate picking: In theory, it means that the note underneath is changing, rather than just playing D U D U on a static tone. In practice, any kind of D U D U picking can be called alternate picking in colloquial discussion.

In "One," the fast playing is definately played in a specific rhythm, so tremolo picking is not the correct term to describe it. Typically, the term used in metal to describe this is "fast chugging."