I have written similar stuff, but how does Scott Stapp do it?
Like in the song One Last Breath.

"Please come now, I think I'm falling, I'm holding on to all I think is safe.
Seems I've found the road to nowhere, and I'm trying to escape.
I yelled back when I heard thunder, but I'm down to one last breath.
And will they let me say, let me say.....
(Cheesy part)
Hold me now.
I'm six feet from edge and I'm thinking,
maybe six feet,
ain't so far down. "

His lyrics always have a sad touch to them, and I can do that, but how does he come up with stuff like "seems I've found the road to nowhere", or "I'm down to one last breath"? How can I write lyrics like him? He does sometimes write cheesy lyrics, I know that, but the good stuff, the way the melody and lyrics never let you go- how can you write stuff as inspiring as his? I want to write songs with topics like these, being on the edge, falling, and being near your end. And I like to write them in a sad, grunge-based way like he does. Is there anyone here that can write similar stuff that can give me any advice?

Here's another example:
"Is this the end,
for us my friend?!"

So simple, but the melody, the structure and the repetition makes it so powerful. That's the chorus to a song by Creed called "Is This The End".

Can anyone give me advice on how to write sad and often simple but powerful lyrics matched to a post-grunge type of music like Creed's? Thanks in advance, i know this isn't something easy to explain.
Your dreams are all out of focus;
Knock you up when you're feeling down.
And all the world feels so unreal...

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
^yea, I've read pretty much everything about them and I'm a huge fan, I just want to be able to write lyrics like Scott Stapp (I know he's an ass in real life, I just think his songs are brilliant. )

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
Do you have a sad life? What gets you down?

Actually, the cheesy part (six feet down part) is actually really quite clever. Just think about it more.

It's impossible to tell you how to write like someone. You can read heaps and heaps of their stuff, and then mimic the style... but then you're never really expressing yourself - and thus, you can't write like them because of that.

Draw on your personal experiences, don't write about them too literally - don't kill it with similes and metaphors, but an air of surreality will help you. In your example, specifically the 'i yelled at the thunder' thingo, and the 'six feet under' thing stand out.

From what I've gathered, this guy doesn't get too emotional with what he writes, but rather forces the reader/listener to draw on their life and relate the words to it - leaving the reader open to interpreting the words however they want to.

Okay, so I've read like one verse, so I don't know for sure, this is just what I'm guessing.

And as for the last example, that is actually kind of a weak phrase. It wouldn't stand alone in a written piece. But obviously the music carries it. So... bearing that in mind... I'd say that it's probably going to benefit you to actually sing your lyrics before casting them off as poor. If something works when sung, it doesn't really matter what it's like written.

That's all I got. Maybe I helped, maybe not.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
^wow, thank you man. That has really helped me to realize that I'll find it hard to express myself when trying to write like him. Thanks snowblind911, that was a very helpful explanation.

Nonetheless, having felt a moment of high inspiration, I blotted this down with a similar feeling to it, (only the chorus) which I'm guessing I can turn it into a song:

Can’t you see,
This is all I’ll be.
Kill your greed,
This is all I need.
Deep inside,
I’ve started to bleed.
Hear my plea,
And set me free.

simple, but rather meaningful and powerful i think.

oh and snowblind911, that first thing you said? i'm not emo or anything and i enjoy life, but i find it harder and actually enjoy it less when i listen to or write happy stuff. The emotions are completely different, and it's not something everyone can relate to. But in the current state of the world, everyone can relate to moments/times of sorrow.

cheers tho, thanks for the explanation

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Last edited by Teen Spirit at Jul 20, 2008,
^'worst' is an adjective completely subjective to opinion. And telling someone to be ashamed of what they like is ridiculous.

To TS:
Np man.
Oh, I wasn't implying that you're emo or anything. I just meant to suggest that you look at the stuff that gets you down in life in order to find something to write about.
I'm glad I helped you a bit.
You'll probably find it hard at first, and copying someone's writing style maybe be beneficial for a small while - it'll help you learn how to use language effectively. Eventually you'll develop into your own style, it's a natural process.
The first few months are the hardest - it's that first barrier that's the hardest (finding your niche, figuring out what you're best at). It'll come eventually.
Good luck.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
Quote by Snowblind 911
^'worst' is an adjective completely subjective to opinion. And telling someone to be ashamed of what they like is ridiculous.

I'm not saying i have a problem w/ his opinion, its just funny when you search worst band in the world. my bad, if i sounded like an asshole though
Really, the fact that you like Creed means that there is an emotional connection with them. So, if given the right tools, you would naturally write like them. So what I say is read read read. Read the songs on UG, read the crits that those songs receive. Write the sappiest piece of crap you can, and let the UG community refine it. Get better at the GENERAL art of writing, so you can find a SPECIFIC niche in writing.