Hey UG! I know this might be the wrong forum, but I want this thread to be seen to people coming here. Recently I've seen a trend in reviving old threads. Threads that are over months old, many more than a year. Recently I saw a thread from April 2007 being revived for no real reason.

So please people, if a thread is more than 3 months ld and dead, there's a reason for it. Threads die because there are nothing more to be added to the subject. If somebody is asking what amp to buy and the thread is over 6 months old, then chances are that the person in question has already bought the amp and so on!

SO I'm saying this once and for all:
It is OK to start new threads. I know people want you to use the searchbar, but you can start your own thread about many subjects if there are no new threads. It's better to start your own thread than to revive a dead one, that is since long dead.

Basically, any thread that is over 6 months old since the last post, DON'T BOTHER reviving it unless there is a purpose for it. If your interested in buying a piece of gear or has questions about it, it is ok to start your own thread about it. More peole will appreciate that than if you revive a year old thread on the subject.

Here's a little rant from an otherwise happy poster, but about this subject, I'm not as happy...

For listening!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Last edited by Gabel at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by Gabel
For listening!

fixed.
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

..Why does it make any difference to anyone if somone revives an old thread? I see no problem with it. If it gets the question awnsered faster then why not, if somones just revived a 2 year old thread to post "lol" then how does that make a difference to anyone else? Obviously if somone responds to a thread asking a gear question thats like 6 months old then yes they made a mistake, i doubt theyre doig it because they genuinely believe that this person hasnt got there gear problems sorted out in 6 months. Not everyones completely internet literate.

Everyones always ranted at to use the searchbar to find stuff out but as soon as a thread is brought back up everyones quick to say "homglolun00b". If there was any actual problem the admins should shorten the cut off date for threads getting deleted after a certain period of not being active. Ive seen the VB admin panel, its very possible to do.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jul 20, 2008,
Well generally because most people revving old threads don't have anything to add to that thread.
Here's one example:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=557040

The post that revived the thread was that AVTs aren't as bad. Ok, that would add to the thread. However the thread was about a guy going to buy an AVT, but we talked him out of it. Since it was over 1 year old, he would most certainly have gotten a new amp by now, meaning that the post was entearly pointless!

Or if you find a thread on a piece of gear your also thinking about buying and start asking about it. It's ok, it's been done. But many of these posts are in threads that are over a year old. By then, you can certainly start your own thread.

I can see people saying use the searchbar, I do it too, but you can still ask questions about something. Unless there already exists a thread about the subject your going to talk about that is still active, you might aswell psost there. Otherwise, start your own!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

And i believe said guy in the thread made a genuine mistake. He wasn't trying to be a dick or a troll, probably just a bit pissed off because the amp his mum & dad got him for his birthday is being called ****e. The guy only joined today. It saves him from starting a big ranting topic about how much we all suck because we dont like the AVT.

The only thing i don't see is how exactly it ruins anybodies day just because a new guy bumped an old thread from a year ago, if it harmed anyone, the old threads would get deleted, but imo, they arent being deleted because they serve a purpose for finding out information from old topics, plus recycling old threads saves space and time, instead of having to repeat the same facts, opinions in figures which will one day cause ug just to break down completely and explode our computers.
the problem is Gabel needs to log off his pc and go outside, seriously wat a loserish thread to make, could u make a bigger example of having no life that ur wasting it bitching out inane crap like "reviving old threads"

go and get some sunshine, you really need it
USA Jackson RR1
Charvel Model 6
Jackson Performer-2
Orange Dark Terror
Hughes & Kettner 112 V30
This thread is an hour old, stop reviving it!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by AussieTerry84
the problem is Gabel needs to log off his pc and go outside, seriously wat a loserish thread to make, could u make a bigger example of having no life that ur wasting it bitching out inane crap like "reviving old threads"

i agree just chill out mate
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Quote by AussieTerry84

He makes a valid point - if someone want's to follow up on a thread that they themselves made, or has something new to add to a discussion then it's fair enough - but I'm sick to death of reading 2 year old "What amp threads" that have been revived so someone can say.

"I hav a lien 6 spider and I lik it"

I need to go outside more myself, because I do pathetic things like reporting posts like yours that take a pop at another member and don't contribute anything worthwhile to a discussion.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by AussieTerry84

As Steven said, I have a valid point!

Oh and how long did it take for me to make this thread? 5 minutes roughly. It's something that has annoyed me for a long time and now I just made a thread about it!

Having been on this forum for a long time (2,5 years) and being a known regular, I generally try to keep a good attitude. I try to contrube and help. Plus most regulars around here agree with me on this point, dead threads are not to be revived! It's very annoying as Steven said!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Gabe is right. I've seen someone revive a 2 year old thread which had already been bumped a year before that. The chances are that if a year or two has gone by the people who made the thread have already had their questions answered or don't care anymore. So its completely pointless.

I think its the people who go to all the way back to page 254 on the thread list just to post in a thread to say "lol i likes my MG!!! itz the best amp evvUr! i dunt nd 2 try ne othr ampz i hv da best! y u h8 dem?" that need to get out more
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
^That I agree on. For an example my old classic Marshall thread get's a revival from time to time!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by UNIe
Well, only old threads about gear choice should be forgotten, but it's better to revive any other kind of old thread instead of making a new one. It keeps the forums cleaner.

yeah, but its usually the gear choice/question threads that get bumped by uneducated noobs who disagree with someone elses suggestion/answer.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Gabel
Having been on this forum for a long time (2,5 years) and being a known regular,

oh wow sorry oh geez i didn't realise u were so cool.

that's 2.5 years of being a loser.

god i wish i could live ur life where the most excitement i would get is bitching about old threads.

u party animal
USA Jackson RR1
Charvel Model 6
Jackson Performer-2
Orange Dark Terror
Hughes & Kettner 112 V30
Quote by AussieTerry84

god i wish i could live ur life where the most excitement i would get is bitching about old threads.

u party animal

Right, Gabe knows his shit. Even though i think he shouldn't have made this thread. Thats no need to go all offensive on him. He's a very respected member of this forum.

GTFO.
Last edited by thellamaking at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by AussieTerry84

u party animal

this is the second thread youre spamming

do enjoy your ban

*reported*
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
^ for a tone nazi, both ur playing and sound suck, u should get off ur pc n go practice.
USA Jackson RR1
Charvel Model 6
Jackson Performer-2
Orange Dark Terror
Hughes & Kettner 112 V30
Quote by AussieTerry84
^ for a tone nazi, both ur playing and sound suck, u should get off ur pc n go practice.

Stop being so childish.

*reported*
Quote by AussieTerry84

Are you really 24, because you act like a 10 year old?

Once again a supposed "adult" poster turns out to be one of the most immature people on the site.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Are you really 24, because you act like a 10 year old?

Once again a supposed "adult" poster turns out to be one of the most immature people on the site.

+1
I reported that guy in the POD fizz thread coz he bumped that by flaming someone. I don't think he'll be back any time soon.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
oh dear....
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure