hello, i want to buy a set of string for drop c on my 25.5in guitar,
i see people looking at things like 11 and 12 and that's too much for me,
i was looking at the Ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom 2215 and i think it fits me,
the one problem i think is that the 5th string (would be a G) is 0.42, i currently use 0.9-.042 strings in standard tuning, tuning a 0.42 to a G isn't exactly like tuning my current low E, 3 semitones up?
that would make it extremely tense and maybe even snap!
can anyone explain this to me?
You use 0.09-.042 for standard, right?
You can also use it for drop C if you want, as I played around with low string gauge and drop c, and it was pretty comfortable, and very usable.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I use Ernie ball skinny top heavy bottoms on my dean ml 24" 3/4 in drop C and if anything the G tends to be a bit loose, the gauges suit drop C perfectly, I cant stand normal tuning anymore!
God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed.
how can that be?
am i wrong assuming that the tension would be just like tuning my current 6th string up to G (3 semitones up)?
Most people use a Heavier 6th string in drop tunings - Like using 9-42 you mentioned, but replacing the 42 with something a bit heavier (for drop D in this case). As drop C only involves the other 5 strings down one step, I'd try like a 10-46 (like ernie ball regulars) but change the 6th to something heavier.
Quote by guynaa
how can that be?
am i wrong assuming that the tension would be just like tuning my current 6th string up to G (3 semitones up)?

yes youre wrong, 3 semitones is fine for a string in either direction
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.