Hi

I'm learning how to play, have an Ibanez RGR421EXFM and a Marshall MG10CD practice amp. When I look at videos or tutorials and watch people play, I always wonder what settings I should do on my amp and guitar tone and pickup selector, to sound the same. I play around with the settings, but very rarely does it sound the same.

I'll post some video links here so someone can tell me what the optimal settings for both the guitar and MG10CD should be.

Video 1 -- intro and distortion and the playing that starts at time = 1:08
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=4dQG7dg_eSE

Video 2 -- http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=y5DmRqiKvfI (pretty much the whole thing)

Does anyone here have this guitar?

PS--How do I get a cleaner Strat like sound? Should I use strings of a different gauge?

Thanks in advance.
you hvave a heavy metal gutiar, and a heavy metal amp (cliché

and you want a strat sound..

does ya ibby have a single coil pickup??

other wise, second position from top or bottom would coil split ya pickups, should sound singlecoil ish.
*Enter Sig Here*
If your just starting out on guitar, don't worry so much about your tone! It's not the most important part in your stage of playing, worry about what's actually going on and how to play it, not how to get the sound.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
thats a good point (lil macker)

on a practice amp, turn bass all the way up, middle all the way down, and treble about halfway, and the tone shouldnt hurt your ears.

but in general, your not gonna sound great untill you get better gear,

and IMO alot of tone comes from how you play the guitar, so you should start sounding better as you ahh.. progress..
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
thats a good point (lil macker)

on a practice amp, turn bass all the way up, middle all the way down, and treble about halfway, and the tone should hurt your ears.

but in general, your not gonna sound great untill you get better gear,

and IMO alot of tone comes from how you play the guitar, so you should start sounding better as you ahh.. progress..

Fixed.

He doesn't have a "heavy metal" amp at all, he has a bog-standard generic starter amp.

TS, just fiddle around with the settings until you get something that sounds nice, unfortunately you're not going to be able to get anything remotely approaching the sound in that first video - he was using an amp that cost well over $1000, yours cost about $50.

I see your guitar only has 2 humbuckers, in which case strat-type tones are out of the window. Best thing you can do is turn the guitar volume down a bit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
unfortunately you're not going to be able to get anything remotely approaching the sound in that first video - he was using an amp that cost well over $1000, yours cost about $50.

Lol, ok.

Hale, no base or treble settings on the MG10CD...it just has clean channel volume, distortion (gain and volume) and overall tone (contour) controls. Ok, so basically I want to kill the bluesy tone of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings.

(As an example, if I play the second or third part of something like "Sweet Home Alabama", I don't get the right tone.)

I have a standard audio amp with several more controls...perhaps I could try shaping the sound a bit with that and hook it up with the Marshall in series cascade. Has anyone tried this?
That won't work very well, hi fi equipment doesn't do a particularly good job of instrument amplification...it's designed for sound reproduction, not sound construction.

Honestly, there's nothing you can really do - the amp sounds the way it sounds. All you can do is put up with it while you save up for something better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ahk, i thought the marshall had a few tone controls,

i had a crap fender amp, and a few others (got for free from school!!)

and that worked on most (the full bass, no mid thing)
*Enter Sig Here*
You're lucky . Anyway I guess I'll save for the next decade or so (:liplick for a Strat and meanwhile learn whatever I can properly. I felt disappointed momentarily because I thought I have a metal only guitar and can't play anything else on it

E.g. I would like to have a clean tone like he does: http://www.amazingguitarsecrets.com/videos/ugc/1/. I think he has two single coils and one humbucker in the bridge.

PS--You're probably right about the higher end Marshalls. I got this one because I'm still learning and ended up spending more on the guitar than on the amp.
Quote by FordDal
Dont Bother with the tone and **** just put it to wat u want

Not sure what you really mean, lol but okay...
you can get heaps of sounds out of a ibby, but the stock pickups are fair one sided.
*Enter Sig Here*
sweet home alabama... wasn't it played on a tele? its pretty bright.

glad to see my country has the same type of music store salesmen... lol... classic

edit: your guitar has a decent sound... its all up to your fingers now. the tone that jeff beck gets from fingers alone is incredible. as for your amp... i have no idea... whichever side the contour shapes that the mids become nasal and mosquito like.... well, a 3 o clock or 9 o clock position from there should do i guess
Last edited by evolucian at Jul 21, 2008,