So I'm having trouble with neck on my bass. I've been told by a few music store employees, working bassists, etc that your supposed to keep the neck straight, but I've read here on UG that your supposed to keep a slight bend in the neck to maintain good intonation. Which one is it? Also, whenever I've tried to put the neck straight, i get terrible fret buzz, because the strings are nearly glued to the fretboard (not literally) even when the action is as high as it can go. Is there any way to counter this?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Are you sure theyre talking about fretted basses? Because having a straight neck on a fretless is what gives you the mwah sound.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
Are you sure theyre talking about fretted basses? Because having a straight neck on a fretless is what gives you the mwah sound.

Surely it's the not having frets thing that gives it the mwah sound?

The neck should not be straight. It needs a slight curvature to

a) Give you a bit of relief
b) Give you correct intonation.

If the neck was straight, then you'd get stupid fret buzz due to no relief. And the problem with intonation is self-explanatory.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Surely it's the not having frets thing that gives it the mwah sound?

According to the fitz
Quote by The Gospel According to Fitz - Chapter 4: Jaco Ton
5. THE MOST IMPORTANT ELEMENT OF JACO'S MWAH: Neck relief and action. First off, getting mwah (as in Hejira) involves picking the string between the neck pickup of a Jazz and the 15th fret (more on this later). That said, the neck relief of your bass has to be laser straight. Let me explain why; the mwah actually comes from the strings slightly fretting out. Now, since the fingerboard has no frets, the strings are choking out on the wood. Now, since your fingerboard is epoxied/polied, it's growling on the finish. Get it now? You need to adjust your action to the exact point the strings start choking out on the fingerboard. Too low, and it'll choke way too much. Too high, it won't choke at all, and you simply will not get this tone. Now, I didn't address why the neck is straight; with a straight neck, the strings will choke out evenly in any given fret position. This way, the strings will mwah at any given position. With a bowed neck, the bass will mwah at some positions more than at others. With a straight neck, your tone will be much more even and wonderful. It's a delicate operation and takes time to find the perfect spot, but once you have, you're set for life. Now, this is the most important feature: a fretless bass with flatwounds and humbuckers will sound more like Jaco with this neck setup than a Tribute Jaco signature without the neck setup. This, combined with the other steps, gives you the perfect bass to sound exactly like Jaco.

/offtopic
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
How much curvature would you need to give correct intonation?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
How much curvature would you need to give correct intonation?

Intonation is adjusted by the screws at the back of the bridge. I don't think the truss rod is the way to change the intonation.
Quote by guitarhero_764

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11898256&postcount=8

Here Ben has put in all in black and white. IF you don't understand what he's saying, take it to a shop and have them show you.

[edit] Aww...Ben beat me to the post...