What is your opinion on World Youth Day/The Pope? (Aussies in particular)

Page 1 of 2
I was going to post this in the Religion thread, but I figured that's more about debate on the various philosophies of religions and stuff, this is about an event.

Anybody from Aus will have been aware of the Papal tour under this "World Youth Day" guise and all the hype surrounding it. Now that it's all over and the Pope is leaving, what did you think of the event? What do you think of the Pope? Did anyone see if those chaser boys ended up doing anything?

I'm not trying to be inflammatory to the catholics here, not at all, but I do believe the whole World Youth Day title is a blatant ploy to boost Catholic numbers by targeting impressionable young people...that's just how it seems to me, if you think I'm totally wrong don't get angry with me, just tell me your reasons, I'm certainly willing to be convinced otherwise.

Oh and please guys, I know this is the pit but I don't want to start a holy war in here, just your opinions on the event, whether it was good for australia to have the pope visit etc...
I don't think the government should be funding it, even though it may bring large revenue to sydney etc. secular government ftw
We had that here a couple of years ago. It was just a giant party for everyone. Drugs, alcohol and sex in abbundance, I tell you that. I think that was not what the church intended...
Quote by YetAnotherMuso
I'm not trying to be inflammatory to the catholics here, not at all, but I do believe the whole World Youth Day title is a blatant ploy to boost Catholic numbers by targeting impressionable young people...that's just how it seems to me, if you think I'm totally wrong don't get angry with me, just tell me your reasons, I'm certainly willing to be convinced otherwise.

I totally agree with you on that, but that being said I don't think that's a bad thing. I thought WYD was great, I was in the city on Thursday, there was a very.. Peaceful vibe there, I thought it was nice.
HI
A friend of mine went to World Youth Day becaue it was cheap to travel to Australia (;
It was government-funded? In my opinion a government shouldn't fund any religious organization or event. It only encourages them.
¬_¬
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I reckon the church should have payed for most of it.
The catholic church is one of the richest organistations in the world and yet they still have thier hand out for monay all the time.

I'm a bad speller I know.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

I dislike most of what the Pope is all about, so I didn't care for it at all.

And I wholeheartedly agree with the misleading title of "World Youth Day". What a farce.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Did he (Pope) ever end up apologizing to that family where the daughters were raped by a priest?
Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
I reckon the church should have payed for most of it.
The catholic church is one of the richest organistations in the world and yet they still have thier hand out for monay all the time.

I'm a bad speller I know.

yeah i cant believe it was government funded, and then the church gets all the profit. They should at least give some money to charity, after all they do believe that jesus was on this earth to teach compassion.

It's all one massive lie. No-one else in the world knows about it, so it's not "world". There's like 70 year olds going, so it's not "youth". And it goes for 5 days so its not a "day". The pope should have to confession for all the lies he's been telling.
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
It was government-funded? In my opinion a government shouldn't fund any religious organization or event. It only encourages them.
¬_¬

exactly. But Iemma argued there was large economic benefit to NSW.
Quote by YetAnotherMuso
I was going to post this in the Religion thread, but I figured that's more about debate on the various philosophies of religions and stuff, this is about an event.

Anybody from Aus will have been aware of the Papal tour under this "World Youth Day" guise and all the hype surrounding it. Now that it's all over and the Pope is leaving, what did you think of the event? What do you think of the Pope? Did anyone see if those chaser boys ended up doing anything?

Oh and please guys, I know this is the pit but I don't want to start a holy war in here, just your opinions on the event, whether it was good for australia to have the pope visit etc...

No one's forcing the 'impressionable young people' to go. As for it being a Papal tour, that's hardly what it is; it's just a visit to a country. I'm Catholic, and in my experience, nobody other than Catholics (and the people who live in the host country) knows anything about the event at all. I think it's aimed at younger Catholics, not for non-Catholics (though no-one would shun them, if they wanted to come. But as I said, no-one's forcing them to come).

The laws against people annoying pilgrims are a bit... well, I don't agree with them. But equally, I don't think people should be twats and be going out of their way to try to annoy them.

Anyway, what would you have the Church do? Ignore Her young people, who want to be a part of it but are not stimulated by the same things their parents, grandparents and so forth were?
Quote by lp_std
damn, i was hoping to start a holy war in here..

You vwant vwar young man?

You sir have gotz it!!

YOU ARE ALL-!

Ah screw it I shant be bothered to start a holy war...

So how bout that Pope-mobile? Pretty funky looking car that one...
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

the pilgrims are so annoying, they are every where within 5km of a train station

im annoyed because "world youth day" isnt really about the youth, if it was, wouldnt you have like people go out to your school and tell you bout it and stuff? im supposed to be the youth and i have no idea of when masses are on until i see them on the news. and all the goverenment funding its getting sucks aswell, they should be spending it on things we need. also, isnt it stupid how its at randwick? and they have to bring in extra seats and toilets and everything when we have a great venue for it, olympic park, just sitting there

arghh
------------------------------------------------------------------

im a girl, dont call me 'he'

Quote by aznmetalhead93
I used to think Eddie Van Halen was a vampire.
WYD and the pope was useless, all it caused was a hassle to get into the city. And anyone can quote me on this, Roman Catholicism is a malevolent organisation with a bloody history, and any practising RCs out there should open up their bible's and see what they are really believing in and how far it is from the real religion.
Well it's certainly put a dint in the horse racing industry, Randwick racecourse being one of the most used in Australia. I don't think they should be able to do such a thing and be funded by the government. It should be privately funded and one private grounds. This is money that could be spend on things like stem cell research which has been proven to actually save lives rather than going down the drain so a few million gullable people can have their egos satisfied.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, but it's my honest opinion.

Catholics = Irish Bastards
Anglicans = Proper people following a trend
Amish = WTF?
Jews = Vermin
Islam = Terrorists
Bhudists = Nice people
Hindus = Telemarketers
Agnostics = Fence Sitters (get a backbone)
Athiests = Satanists in disquise
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster = Correct in every way
Quote by DearLosty
Did he (Pope) ever end up apologizing to that family where the daughters were raped by a priest?

yes

Quote by UltimateDud
Well it's certainly put a dint in the horse racing industry, Randwick racecourse being one of the most used in Australia. I don't think they should be able to do such a thing and be funded by the government. It should be privately funded and one private grounds. This is money that could be spend on things like stem cell research which has been proven to actually save lives rather than going down the drain so a few million gullable people can have their egos satisfied.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, but it's my honest opinion.

Amish = WTF?
Jews = Vermin
Islam = Terrorists
Bhudists = Nice people
Hindus = Telemarketers

prejudice ftw
i dont understand it aye, living so close to sydney it was all over telly and the the news stories, dont know what the fuss was all about just a large gathering of church, like you can alreday do that every sunday cant you???......
Quote by kenan6346
real religion.

Haha, good one.

Should not have been paid for by the govt.

I can't wait till they STFU and GTFO.

POPE GO HOME!! (I could be arrested for that, you know. Horsesh*t)
Quote by slappymoe66
What would I say to the doctor "I got a bad case of tight balls" ? no dice nublet pie
Quote by solidgay
No one's forcing the 'impressionable young people' to go. As for it being a Papal tour, that's hardly what it is; it's just a visit to a country. I'm Catholic, and in my experience, nobody other than Catholics (and the people who live in the host country) knows anything about the event at all.

Well it is actually a Papal tour, he's been going around to a bunch of countries, and the hype in Australia has been phenomenal actually, the whole thing was bigger than Ben Hur, huge advertising campaigns all through Sydney, so everybody knew about it. The news devoted about a quarter of their stories to it every night while it was happening aswell.

Quote by solidgay

I think it's aimed at younger Catholics, not for non-Catholics (though no-one would shun them, if they wanted to come. But as I said, no-one's forcing them to come).

Well no, you're correct, no-one is forcing them to GO to the events, but the events went to them. Big parades in the Popemobile, road closures all over the place, if you were in the city, you pretty much were a part of the event. And it certainly was about welcoming new people to the fold, they had pamphlets and advertisements to that effect.

Quote by solidgay

Anyway, what would you have the Church do? Ignore Her young people, who want to be a part of it but are not stimulated by the same things their parents, grandparents and so forth were?

I would have the church not put on such a huge propaganda campaign and just do the thing as a more low-key event such as you described first, especially not funded by our government as some posters have pointed out. The Dalai Lama visited Australia just a few weeks before and he didn't make a massive deal of himself, just did a few lectures around the place and went on his merry way. I just think the faith should stand for itself, the church shouldn't need to reinvent itself as a cool thing so the young people won't lose faith in it.
Waste of fucking money. It pisses me off.

2 questions though.
Why is it called youth day?
Why is it in my country? Australia has nothing of religious value to Christians. Why a pilgramage to australia? Go to the Vatican for fucks sake.
Quote by BlackHole1981
exactly. But Iemma argued there was large economic benefit to NSW.

Cant possibly have helped all the businesses who were blocked off from the world for days.
Quote by UltimateDud

Yes, because of course Catholicism is confined solely to Ireland. And no-one on the island has any other religion. Not to mention the fact that Ireland could hardly be called a stronghold of Catholicism anymore, are you still living in the 50s?

I forgot that people are often born into trends, and that trends last for generations.

Jews = Vermin

*reported*
There is absolutely no need for that
Islam = Terrorists
*reported*
No need for that either.
Bhudists = Nice people

* Buddhist dumbass
And no, they are not nice people anymore than any other religion.
Buddhism has horrible and vicious teachings just as much as any religion, for example the concept of demotion through reincarnation which leaves people with no sympathy for those with disabilities.

Hindus = Telemarketers

You=ignorant.
Hinduism isn't confined to India and telemarketing is hardy the most common occupation in India.

I'm willing to bet that if you knew that Agnosticism was you would find that you too are an Agnostic.
Do you see green as I do? As regards to the answer to that question you would have no choice but to be Agnostic.

*Atheists
*disguise
You are so so stupid.

Just because you try to insult everyone doesn't hide the fact that you are an ignorant, unfunny, stupid, racist cunt.
Quote by YetAnotherMuso

What do you think of the Pope?
I think that he's a hypocritical jackass.
He claims to have apologized for the Church sex abuse scandals but the church still tries to get out of paying compensation to victims.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
i disliked it intently its over now so its alllll good

btw flying speghetti monster ftw
I am me. Live with it.
Last edited by DeAd-RiP at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by HeavyMetaldude
Waste of fucking money. It pisses me off.

2 questions though.
Why is it called youth day?
Why is it in my country? Australia has nothing of religious value to Christians. Why a pilgramage to australia? Go to the Vatican for fucks sake.

Exactly for this reason it is in Australia. Australia is a very secular nation compared to others so he is attempting to save the catholic faith here.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Yes, because of course Catholicism is confined solely to Ireland. And no-one on the island has any other religion. Not to mention the fact that Ireland could hardly be called a stronghold of Catholicism anymore, are you still living in the 50s?

I forgot that people are often born into trends, and that trends last for generations.

*reported*
*reported*
No need for that either.

* Buddhist dumbass
Buddhism has horrible and vicious teachings just as much as any religion, for example the concept of demotion through reincarnation which leaves people with no sympathy for those with disabilities.

You=ignorant.
Hinduism isn't confined to India and telemarketing is hardy the most common occupation in India.

I'm willing to bet that if you knew that Agnosticism was you would find that you too are an Agnostic.
Do you see green as I do? As regards to the answer to that question you would have no choice but to be Agnostic.

*Atheists
*disguise
You are so so stupid.

Just because you try to insult everyone doesn't hide the fact that you are an ignorant, unfunny, stupid, racist cunt.
He claims to have apologized for the Church sex abuse scandals but the church still tries to get out of paying compensation to victims.

How did I know that there was going to be one wanker to come and ruin my fun. It's the internet, if you're taking the internet seriously you've got something wrong. This is simply stereotypes and my ignorant opinion. One asshole takes it seriously an makes a big deal about it. This frustrates me, the internet is for immature people like myself and a majority of UG.

Me = Ignorant/Arragant/Obnoxious
You = Party Pooper
Quote by Ur all $h1t

*reported*
*reported*
No need for that either.

* Buddhist dumbass

You=ignorant.

*Atheists
*disguise
You are so so stupid.

I don't think he was serious when he posted that...
Quote by UltimateDud
How did I know that there was going to be one wanker to come and ruin my fun.
It's the internet, if you're taking the internet seriously you've got something wrong. This is simply stereotypes and my ignorant opinion. One asshole takes it seriously an makes a big deal about it. This frustrates me, the internet is for immature people like myself and a majority of UG.

You = Party Pooper

WAAA!!!! THES SI DA INTERN3T I SHUD B ABLE 2 SAY *** I WANT!1111 OMG LOL

Quote by BlackHole1981
I don't think he was serious when he posted that...

Ya but its stupidity hurt my head.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I don't know if this has been brought up in the thread, but I hope the Pope apologises for the rapes of several children by australian catholic priests- some of the victims and their families are gonna jump him for one or something. One priest was such a c*nt about the entire thing that he said that "World Youth Day is being blemished by people dwelling on old wounds" or something to that effect, about the rape victims, and that they should get over it, pretty much.
In regards to that Holy War

*Plays Megadeth Riff*

I think I started it. :-)

Last edited by UltimateDud at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I don't know if this has been brought up in the thread, but I hope the Pope apologises for the rapes of several children by australian catholic priests- some of the victims and their families are gonna jump him for one or something. One priest was such a c*nt about the entire thing that he said that "World Youth Day is being blemished by people dwelling on old wounds" or something to that effect, about the rape victims, and that they should get over it, pretty much.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/19/catholicism.religion?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront
It doesn't really matter that he's apologized when the organization that he heads still tries to avoid paying out compensation and continues to call accusers liars.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/19/catholicism.religion?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront
It doesn't really matter that he's apologized when the organization that he heads still tries to avoid paying out compensation and continues to call accusers liars.

I totally forgot about the compensation! In the same Times article (yeah, THE TIMES, better than your Guardian ) that some families were only given $2,000 compensation, out of the $50,000 that can be given per case. It's a f*cking joke.
Quote by UltimateDud
How did I know that there was going to be one wanker to come and ruin my fun. It's the internet, if you're taking the internet seriously you've got something wrong. This is simply stereotypes and my ignorant opinion. One asshole takes it seriously an makes a big deal about it. This frustrates me, the internet is for immature people like myself and a majority of UG.

You = Party Pooper

Just because it's the internet, it doesn't automatically give you the right to insult random people.. He's an arsehole because he dared to question you? Honestly mate, you said a stupid thing and someone pulled you up on it, get over it.

And to be on topic.. I don't think the government should be funding any religious event.. If they wanted to do the WYD, good for them, but why does the government fund it all when there's so many more decent uses for the money? To me it seems ridiculous.
I think that the Government funding it was stupid. Rudd is throwing money at groups that don't need it, the stupid fuck he is.
I was going to go because i've heard that there's just lots of parties, but I had to stay in Newcastle and study
The only good thing the event really did was bring in a shitload of money into our economy. But i'm sick of the pilgrims that can't speak any English coming into the store I work at and talk in their native language.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Page 1 of 2