well not really sure, the neck looks ok, and the truss rod still works but the hex key no longer fits in there, its like now is too small for the hole so i cant keep adjusting, i have tried for an hour to make the hex key "lock in" but it just doesnt work!!!
HELP!!, how do i solve this??!

i know my english is not really easy to understand but help please!!!
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Last edited by litus at Jul 20, 2008,
different size key?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
your hex key probably wore out or something.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
the key is fine
i even tried with the other side of the key to check that but i am almost sure its the truss rod hole
help!!!
could a bigger key solve this?
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Perhaps you have 'threaded' the key slot?
This is when the hexagonal shape has rounded as a result of a smaller key turning it.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
Perhaps you have 'threaded' the key slot?
This is when the hexagonal shape has rounded as a result of a smaller key turning it.

but what do you mean with a smaller key?
that the key i was using was the wrong one? that i should have used a bigger one?
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
but what do you mean with a smaller key?
that the key i was using was the wrong one? that i should have used a bigger one?

That's what he means... lol.
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
Quote by Deliriumbassist
use a range of allen key sizes, but don't force them- just see if they fit snug, you should be able to tell when you put an allen key in if it's snug or not. If not, you may have stripped the nut.

you mean like the bone nut? i don know if thats related but it looks fine
also the key i used came with my bass and it fitted perfectly but now is very losse(i guess that the correct word)
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Last edited by litus at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
not the bone nut, the nut on the end of the truss rod

could you explain some more? how bad is the damage? can it be fixed? would it be really expensive to fix? is it a simple fix? help!!
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by Deliriumbassist
A stripped nut is a stripped nut, and it can't be fixed to my knowledge.

can this nut?(wich i dont know what is it) be replaced?
an how i am sure that it is stripped?
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
the nut is what you put the allen key into in order to turn the truss rod.

You can tell if it's stripped by looking at it- are the edges and angles ok? If it looks rounded, it's probably screwed. The fact that the allen key that came with it used to work, but does no longer doesn't give me much hope. But try and find another allen key of equal size, just in case. I also don't think it can be replaced.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
the nut is what you put the allen key into in order to turn the truss rod.

You can tell if it's stripped by looking at it- are the edges and angles ok? If it looks rounded, it's probably screwed. The fact that the allen key that came with it used to work, but does no longer doesn't give me much hope. But try and find another allen key of equal size, just in case. I also don't think it can be replaced.

it looks that some of the corners(not all) are a bit rounded, also i found this http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Adjusting_nuts/Fender-style_Slotted_Truss_Rod_Nut.html
and this http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Adjustable_truss_rods/Traditional_Truss_Rod.html
in case my nut is striped would any of this solve it???
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
If I'm taking in what you are saying right, then this is most perplexing.

If your neck is fine how it is right now (is it?) then perhaps leave it be and dont worry?
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
If I'm taking in what you are saying right, then this is most perplexing.

If your neck is fine how it is right now (is it?) then perhaps leave it be and dont worry?

what does perplexing means?? like it amazes you???, sorry but my english needs some work

my neck is not as i wanted it to be, its prety near but not perfect, and what if i want to adjust the neck again(i am chaging bridge and strings gauge in 2 weeks)
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
what does perplexing means?? like it amazes you???, sorry but my english needs some work

my neck is not as i wanted it to be, its prety near but not perfect, and what if i want to adjust the neck again(i am chaging bridge and strings gauge in 2 weeks)

It's like confusing or problematic/enigmatic.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
A stripped nut is a stripped nut, and it can't be fixed to my knowledge.

but what about using a bigger hex key or a replace nut, i have been told in other forums that its a cheap fix but i need all the info i can get
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
but what about using a bigger hex key or a replace nut, i have been told in other forums that its a cheap fix but i need all the info i can get

Using a bigger one won't help, if you have stripped it, it won't be exactly allen key-shaped any more so none will fit properly.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
if you're still not sure, take it to a shop and get them to have a look at it. better them fixing it than you.
aw that sucks you should just sell it to me lol, but seriously get it checked at a shop
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
i just emalied a local luthier he says the problem is do solbable(did i said that right?) but he want to see the bass for a price(damn i really wich i could repair this kind of stuff)
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
If you have stripped that nut, here is an easy fix:

Does the end of the truss rod stick out on your bass or is it recessed inside of the headstock or end of the fretboard?

If it does stick out, you can always just cut a single straight line down the middle of the end of your truss rod and use a flat head screw driver to adjust it from now on. basically coverting it from a hex shape to a flat-head screw driver shape.

If the end of the truss rod is recessed, you will have a pretty hard/impossible time cutting a line into it, and so I have no advice to give you on that front.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
If you have stripped that nut, here is an easy fix:

Does the end of the truss rod stick out on your bass or is it recessed inside of the headstock or end of the fretboard?

If it does stick out, you can always just cut a single straight line down the middle of the end of your truss rod and use a flat head screw driver to adjust it from now on. basically coverting it from a hex shape to a flat-head screw driver shape.

If the end of the truss rod is recessed, you will have a pretty hard/impossible time cutting a line into it, and so I have no advice to give you on that front.

You could use a very small diameter cutting wheel (on the end of a Dremel Rotary tool or similar device). It would still be difficult, but very doable.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
I'm guessing you've threaded the truss rod (basically, you've rounded the shape of the allen key out of it, so that the allen key no longer fits into the hole and turns properly)

if so, you're pretty much sold out of luck, how you managed to do so without any other damage is beyond me!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
I'm guessing you've threaded the truss rod (basically, you've rounded the shape of the allen key out of it, so that the allen key no longer fits into the hole and turns properly)

if so, you're pretty much sold out of luck, how you managed to do so without any other damage is beyond me!

can i ask you something offtopic?
what does "sold out of luck" means? i understand something like i have been very lucky and probably wont happen again
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I've only done this with bicycles or cars, so I don't know if you want to do this with your bass.

Get a slightly larger allen key, beat it into the slot with a hammer.
Quote by litus
what does "sold out of luck" means? i understand something like i have been very lucky and probably wont happen again

pretty much no chance at all of it happening? thats what i've interpreted it as
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by litus

Means you're out of luck. So yeah.

Its not the end of the world though, im sure your bass is still useable? Like others said, see if you can take it to a professional.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

thanks for all the responses
i am taking my bass to a pro today
also why not use a bigger key? i not doing anything until i see the luthier but just wondering if this could do any damage
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Well give anything a try, as long you are sure its not gojng to harm it anymore.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

i take it to a luthier
he saids he can fix it for 30$ plus the setup
thats a hell lot of money dudes!!
but well, my bass needs it!!
BTW i am getting a gotoh 201 bridge in 1 month, i am going to have to setup the neck like a lot? or just little bit? since now on i not doing long neck adjustments like the last one
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400