hi,

im in the market for a new amp, i currently use an epiphone Dot studio and a MG30DFX (i got it for free, and before that i had a cheapo 15w so shh) and just recently got a Digitech RP250 which takes away from the MG's crappiness a bit.

i want to get something i can jam and play small gigs, i basically dont want to rock up for band auditions with a ****ty little MG.

i play rock, punk, pop-punk (the better stuff) and alt rock. i dont play metal at all so i dont care if the amp doesnt sound good for metal.

can anyone suggest an amp that will suit, for $1000 AUS ish, if thats not enough then say so and ill wait longer i guess.. amps arent my strong point, but i guess a marshall or orange? something like that, but not rediculous in price seeing as i dont even gig.. yet

thanks in advance
What do you have against Marshall MGs?
okay they arent great but theyre not that bad

The new Marshall DSLs are supposed to be really good.
It might be worth looking at the Orange Tiny Terror and a matching cab
Dont rule out the Peavey Valve King 2x12 thats a great combo

I play similar music to you and i use a Marshall Valvestate 2x12 for jamming and gigging
you can pick them up secondhand cheaply!
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
i dont really mind the amp, i was getting sick of it before i got the rp250, but i want something a bit bigger and louder, so i may as well get something better while im at it.

what are they tiny terrors like? with an orange cab or other cabs a better option?

i'll look into the other options too. its nice to get an opinion from someone who plays similar stuff. seems to be a lot of ppl on here who are focused on metal
I love my vk for that style of music.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Yeah metalheads are everywhere!

Yeah the tiny terror is amazing, but its a max 30W. Marshall 1x10 cabs are good for it ive heard! but im sure the orange cab sounds just as good

Maybe you could get the Marshall MG250 if you wanted more volume with a similar sound?

The Fender Frontman 100W is a 2x12. its really nice and im saving for one so ide also recomend that, but thats probably for more rockier stuff than for punk.
I still think the Peavey Valve King Combo would be a good amp

just remember with whatever you get...
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Have you looked at the Roland Cubes? They might not be too suibtable with a Multi FX Processor but they're worth a try and suit alot of styles.
Quote by lorrythebassguy

Yeah the tiny terror is amazing, but its a max 30W. Marshall 1x10 cabs are good for it ive heard! but im sure the orange cab sounds just as good

Maybe you could get the Marshall MG250 if you wanted more volume with a similar sound?

The Fender Frontman 100W is a 2x12. its really nice and im saving for one so ide also recomend that, but thats probably for more rockier stuff than for punk.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

Jeez...stop recommending appalling amps!

The Valveking is probably the best bet here, it's not too bad for the price, but the MG and Frontman are just terrible....and don't you buy yourself one either!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
was just looking at the valveking online, need to find someone round here with them instock.

with the valveking, 100w or 50w?
depends what you want personally

GO FOR THE 100! :P

and the MGs arent bad compared to most solid state amps!

DONT GET A CUBE:@

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by lorrythebassguy

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

Awful advice.
I'm not sure if they do them in Aus but you could try a Crate Palomino.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
the 100w would be nice :P

i have looked at the MG100HDFX in a half stack, a lot of ppl seem to bag the **** out of it. some ppl dont know what they are talking about, but you start to wonder if so many ppl are wrong.. sounded alright in some video reviews i have seen. doesnt really matter if it aint perfect coz

a) im not going for the very best right now, that comes later when im getting some sort of a return on the investment.

b) the rp250 will make the sounds i like to make anyways :P

i like the idea of the orange, but more $$, which is a problem when your a uni student
okay i admit i gave bad advice,
except for the try before you buy
thats the best advice after grilled chese!

Get the Valveking or a marshall AVT

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by lorrythebassguy
okay i admit i gave bad advice,
except for the try before you buy

Very bad advice.

The Roland cube is much better then the MG.

The valveking is meant to be average, but better then most SS practice amps.

I recommend the Laney VC15 - $899 AUS.
This amp is better then all of the ones that are recommended.
I highly recommend trying it if you can, to see if it suits your bill or not. You might need some form of OD, EQ, etc., but try it first.

EDIT: The VC15 should also be MUCH louder then your amp, so you can play small venues, AND still play at bedroom volumes.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
+1 on what steven seagull is says- and an avt is trash too. i'd consider a laney vc15 or 30, or maybe a peavey classic 30, if they're under budget in australia.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1 on what steven seagull is says- and an avt is trash too. i'd consider a laney vc15 or 30, or maybe a peavey classic 30, if they're under budget in australia.

+1