I wish to choose between a Squier Vintage Modified Strat, which you can see here:
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301200505

and a Squier Jagmaster, which you can see here:
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0320700500

Both guitars are great in my opinion. But here's the thing.
The first one is a squier vintage modified strat, so pretty much a squier strat. Which means I know how it well, i'm used to the shape, handling it etc. because i've had strat guitars before. And i've tried this at a local store, it feels great and plays well, sounds good.

The second one, a jagmaster, I haven't tried. But I know it has to be good because of the reviews i've read online, and 'coz it's the most expensive guitar within the squier sub-brand.

So guys, do any of you own/have owned/have played any of these guitars, and what would you recommend? thanks in advance. And by the way, I play grunge, post-grunge, alternative etc. Think Alice In Chains, Nirvana, and also some Creed, Staind etc. through a Roland 30X amp. thanks again.
Your dreams are all out of focus;
Knock you up when you're feeling down.
And all the world feels so unreal...

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
if you buy squier you're gonna get burned in the long run, after several years. the quality for the price is crap. and no, just because 20 little kids wrote how much the squier rawks doesn't mean its a quality guitar. but, if you ARE gonna go ahead and get one, get the strat, just because of the availability of aftermarket parts.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
jagmaster cause of humbuckers
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
well right now I have a Fender Standard Stratocaster which cost me all for a while, and I've just sold my Affinity Strat to a good friend who's moving away, and I want a second guitar which I can trust and love. The affinity was alrite, but it didn't really satisfy me, wasn't too comfortable, but then what can you expect for $150? so i'm looking to buying a Squier, and these are 2 of the best models as far as I see.
And I forgot, the jagmaster does have humbuckers.

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
If you've already got a strat, there's no point in having 2 when you could have a Jagmaster.

This means but the Jagmaster.
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
if you like grunge, the jagmaster should be great at making feedback (a common feature in grunge music) as it's loosely based on the fender jazzmaster, which was used by sonic youth. Also if you already have a standard strat I'd see more point in getting the jag simply because it looks and sounds different, whereas the squier strat will probably be a slightly worse version of your current guitar.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
The Jagmaster II that they're selling now isn't very good at all.

Look for a 2001-2003 Jagmaster model, or if you can afford one, find a Vista Jagmaster.
Quote by wouldyakindly
if you like grunge, the jagmaster should be great at making feedback (a common feature in grunge music) as it's loosely based on the fender jazzmaster, which was used by sonic youth. Also if you already have a standard strat I'd see more point in getting the jag simply because it looks and sounds different, whereas the squier strat will probably be a slightly worse version of your current guitar.

Jagmasters don't feedback that much - they're humbuckers and NOT P-90's.

And fairly low output humbuckers at that.
Well the thing is I'm leaning over to the Jagmaster side because of its looks, quality, humbuckers etc., and i think it's more suited for grunge, but I haven't tried it or anything.

How are the humbuckers on the jagmaster?

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Jagmasters don't feedback that much - they're humbuckers and NOT P-90's.

And fairly low output humbuckers at that.

Ah, my bad, i'm not familiar with the science of pickups, or the jagmaster for that matter.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
I suppose you could install humbucker sized P-90's into the Jagmaster though, that be interesting

The stock Jagmaster pickups aren't particularly good, but they're passable.
wait, somebody mentioned something earlier about Vista Jagmasters/01-03 jagmasters. What's the difference, and what's the vista model?

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
If I were you I'd try and get a really uber cheap fender duo sonic or a squier supersonic.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MoonageDaydream
If I were you I'd try and get a really uber cheap fender duo sonic or a squier supersonic.

what's the deal with duo sonics? i have been looking at one for a while
signed,
your favorite poster
Don't know but apparetnly for the price they're the best guitars like, I mean, $300 a go for a 60s Fender?

If I had the money, I'd get one, but I'm saving for an Orange halfstack and I've just bought an Epi SG so no Duo Sonic for me. Someday though...

I know Nick from Tera Melos wants to buy one.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I don't know about the second guitar, but owning a Vintage Modified Strat myself... it's really ****. I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Jagmaster i have a 04 one in candy apple red and it plays really nice, its the nicest fretboard i have played on.

Flame me i don't give a monkey.

UG Mods really have no sense of humour.....

If you already have a Stratocaster type guitar, I wouldn't advise getting another if you're already familiar with the tones.

As for the Jagmaster, I really can't suggest this guitar. It's decent for what it's worth, but its humbuckers do leave a lot to be desired, and the biggest drawback for me is the thinner body construction. Despite being "Standard" Squier, it has the same thin body spec as the Affinity guitars. A friend had tried to drop a full sized steel block replacement trem into his Jagmaster, and the trem block + springs stuck out far enough to make it impossible to reinstall the back trem cover.

I'd suggest going for a Squier Telecaster Custom, or maybe a Squier Vintage Modified HSS (Fat Strat). Despite what some say, the Squier VM Strat is a step above Affinity and Standard Squiers. After a decent setup, they're pretty good players.
Quote by Teen Spirit
I wish to choose between a Squier Vintage Modified Strat, which you can see here:
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301200505

and a Squier Jagmaster, which you can see here:
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0320700500

Both guitars are great in my opinion. But here's the thing.
The first one is a squier vintage modified strat, so pretty much a squier strat. Which means I know how it well, i'm used to the shape, handling it etc. because i've had strat guitars before. And i've tried this at a local store, it feels great and plays well, sounds good.

The second one, a jagmaster, I haven't tried. But I know it has to be good because of the reviews i've read online, and 'coz it's the most expensive guitar within the squier sub-brand.

So guys, do any of you own/have owned/have played any of these guitars, and what would you recommend? thanks in advance. And by the way, I play grunge, post-grunge, alternative etc. Think Alice In Chains, Nirvana, and also some Creed, Staind etc. through a Roland 30X amp. thanks again.

For what you play, the jagmaster is probaly best suited as the humbuckers, I haven't played a jagmaster but I've seen one and it looked nice and good quality. Although, the strat is probaly more versatile, I'd personally go with the strat, but that's just me.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2