Im a newbie on guitar and I can only play 10 or so chords well at the moment but to the next lot of songs Id like to play all contain an F chord which I can't play. My fingers aren't strong enough for my 1 finger to hold a bar whilst the others pick too. Any help plz
It could just be the guitar you're playing. I always thought I sucked at barre chords but it was actually because my guitar had really bad action.

But there's a way to play a non-barre F chord. It's (xx2311)
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Yeah but I got to get past it at some stage and I don't think my guitar is bad, its just a plain accoustic beginners guitar, its more like I can't make my fingers press hard enough all together to get a nice sounding chord :S
i know it doesnt sound like very good advice, but you just have to keep doing it and doing it and doing it. try it around the 3rd to 5th frets, it is a little bit easier there.
don't bar the bottom notes...just do this....(xx321x) that's what most newbies can do...eventually you'll be able to bar it...
Try some lighter strings maybe. A really good technique my teacher taught me when I was starting out is to tuck your fret hand elbow right into your rib cage when doing F barre chords, and stick it out when doing Bb barred chords.

The elbow postioning really helps in each case, because on the (elbow in)-F it helps naturally put more pressure on your 1st finger and the same in the Bb-(elbow out) which needs pressure on your 3rd finger; all without having to use major finger strength to get it done.

Just try it with the F with your elbow way out, and then tuck your elbow right in, and you'll see the difference right away. Really valuable technique.

Hope this helps. It made a big difference for me.

Good luck
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Quote by Beam Sword0
don't bar the bottom notes...just do this....(xx321x) that's what most newbies can do...eventually you'll be able to bar it...

That IS an easier way, but it's an Fmaj7...open F is xx3211 (SLD.Potatoe's right), but you'll be glad you started out with the right technique later on when your playing crystal clear full barre chordes because you learned it the right way.

No offense Beam sword, but let's get this guy on the right track.

Cheers
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Last edited by Guitarminator at Jul 20, 2008,