Hey UG, I was just wondering if you guys knew any tips, techniques that i should learn in order to learn songs by ear. Im trying to learn by ear, but I'm basically stumped. Any advice would be appreciated.
Well I haven't learned by ear, but I've found that after quite a bit of playing, I can hear some things and just find them on the fret board fairly quickly and easily. My advice would be to use tabs or noodle around the neck until you have some control of the instrument, and your ears and hands will begin to work together. That's how it's kind of worked for me. Hope that helps some.
Just do it - seriously, the only way you'll learn how to do it is by starting to make the effort to use your ears.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
start tabbing out easy songs first. first you'll be searching the fretboard for that first note and it'll take forever. then once u got it ur on the second one. each time it'll be easier than the next. but once you have a whole song u'll be used to hearing sounds and finding them on your guitar. the more songs the better u'll be.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
It'll help if you know some basic scale shapes because those are what tend to get used during solos.. for random rock stuff though just find whatever combination of strings/frets sounds closest and then jiggle them around til' it's perfect.
http://www.good-ear.com/

This sites a good start, in the beginner section it plays an interval and you have to listen and choose what interval it is, dont worry if you dont have a clue to start with, as you keep practicing it you will get familiar with how things sound and then you'll be able to relate to them.

Besides doing stuff like that, Tab something..find the notes on the fretboard, start with single notes and power chords and work up to chords.

Learning from ear is really fun, and frustrating, especially if a certain part is quiet and hard to get, or really fast. After playing for a while and listening to lots of things you will start to hear certain passages licks scales and intervals and especially how different chords sound.

You can also hum a familiar melody and try and find the ntoes on the guitar, thats all good ear training.
Quote by BFI
http://www.good-ear.com/

This sites a good start, in the beginner section it plays an interval and you have to listen and choose what interval it is, dont worry if you dont have a clue to start with, as you keep practicing it you will get familiar with how things sound and then you'll be able to relate to them.

Besides doing stuff like that, Tab something..find the notes on the fretboard, start with single notes and power chords and work up to chords.

Learning from ear is really fun, and frustrating, especially if a certain part is quiet and hard to get, or really fast. After playing for a while and listening to lots of things you will start to hear certain passages licks scales and intervals and especially how different chords sound.

You can also hum a familiar melody and try and find the ntoes on the guitar, thats all good ear training.

thanks i just visited the site and tried some the exercises, they seemed helpful i feel like i'm learning a lot, and its also very fun. Are there any scales i should first learn ?
Quote by DGen92
Are there any scales i should first learn ?

I assume you mean learning some scales to recognise the beginner intervals? is that right?

What you're really doing on that site is recognising what certain intervals and such sound like so you can hear something and know that this is in the key of A major or thats a Major 7 etc , there are better sites Im sure, but I guess you don't know what a major or minor 3rd means? or what a 5th means?

This is going into an entire different thing, theres tonnes of info on UG about it all, and you should learn as much as you can, you can't go wrong with learning scales and chords, familiarize yourself with how everything sounds and why it sounds like it does. Learning the major scale is a good start, everything else is built around it.

Ear training really incorporates everything, mostly what you can recognize. For now play around with that site and pick a simple sounding song you don't know and try and tab it out yourself.

As you learn and play more songs, riffs, licks and some theory you will encounter familiar sounds, you can then learn what makes them sound that way and pick them out of other music.
im assuming your a guitarist and not a bassist - but what i did (as a bassist) was put songs i wanted to learn on a CD (easy at first) and plug them into my stereo which has fairly larger speakers and pumps and incredible bass, and then i'd just sit against the speaker and "feel' out the thumps while fingerin around on my bass till a simpler vibration alone almost told me where i needed to play.. dunno if that helps for guitar, but thats how i began.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
Um do you know any tools to help in identifying the key of a song ?
I have a suggestion..again..

Offspring
Greenday
AcDc
Black Sabbath

These are fartists that have power chord based rhythms...or at least you can play
power rhythm for their songs..This is a good way to learn to recognize chords.

Jimi Hendrix and Stevie ray vaughn are good for soloing. They used simple tekniks
but pushed them as far out into left field as u can go. Learn your pentatonic scales
and you can play along. Tony Iommi did alot of solos that fit into pentatonic or blues
scales as well..These are advanced guitarists but when u start to really know that
scale..you can figure out alot of solos..

12th fret pentatonics makes me think of Hendrix solo...
When i think of the A-Chord it triggers ACDC..lol
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Thanks for the suggustion, do you know anything that will help me know the key of a song ?