yes im upgrading my amp soon, and i am torn between these two amps..

so basically i can buy a 6505 now, or keep saving another $3000 for a mesa.

i love the mesa boogie tone, such as petrucci's, but i dont know whether its worth saving all that money for.. i dont really want to spend $6500 on an amp..

so which is a better amp..

ive played a 6505, and absolutely loved the distortion, but didnt like that it didnt have a seperate eq between channels.. so i would have to get the 6505+ anyways..

does the dual recto have good cleans and distortions?
and is it worth saving for?

sorry if this doesnt make much sense its late and im tired lol.
any help is good tho.
thanks =]
MD5K
IBANEZ
I say just get the 6505.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'd say just go play them both for a while in a store....and if you really love the recto tone over the 6505, then save for it. Your ears are the best guide man...know what I'm saying?

Maybe also try like a Marshall TSL head and a Hughes and Kettner Triamp as other options...

On a personal note, I'm not much of a fan of the cleans on a Recto...I use a Triaxis for dist sounds and a Vox for clean....

Good luck!
This is a lie...no reason why...right from the outset
Well if you want recto distortion with good cleans I would recommend the roadster, it's $2000 for the head and it's pretty much a roadking without progressive linkage
^he lives in australia though so it would be waaaaaay more than 2000
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
I'm really happy with my 6505+. The cleans aren't really as bad as people say they are especially if you know what you're doing with the eq.
If you really love the Mesa tone, import one from the US, it will be WAY cheaper.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Petrucci uses a Mesa Mark IV a lot in Dream Theater, but also used a Roadking, Mark IIC+ and lots of others. If you really like the tones Petrucci gets, gun for a Mark IV. Since they're easily a grand used in the US, finding one in Australia used (or new, if they still stock them) may be tough. Your best bet would be importing it.

Also, try looking at either the DC-5 or DC-10 heads/combos from Mesa. They're basically a Mark/Rectifier fusion that sounds really great. I like messing around with Dream Theater stuff (some of John's solos are a little out of my league atm, but i can play a few), and I can get really spot on to a recent DT sound, especially with my Ibanez. I got mine for about 700 used, so they may be a cheaper alternative that'll sound better (in my opinion) than a Dual Rectifier (it's a lot tighter, yet loose enough so your leads are expressive and dynamic, plus it's got a great clean channel). I've also heard from a few DC and Mark owners on various forums that a bunch actually like the DC as much, if not more, than their Mark series amps, so it may be something to look into.

I like the 5150/6505 series a lot, don't get me wrong, but the cleans aren't exactly the greatest you can get. But, if you don't use cleans much if at all, than that may be the way to go, especially due to your location.
Dual Recto v. 6505

No competition there. Recto FTW.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Dual Recto v. 6505

No competition there. Recto FTW.

Can you say fanboy?

It all depends on the kind of distortion you want. If you want loose, brighter sounding distortion go with the Mesa. If you want a tighter, rawer, darker, more aggressive distortion go with the 6505. If you need that extra EQ the 6505+ is just as good in the distortion department. Sorry if I described the 6505 more than the Rec but I've had a lot more time with that amp in GC.
well i tried both extensively today, the 6505 is way tighter a little brighter in my opinion but not as versitile.

It has more crunch and its not as fizzy as people say if you roll down the treble a bit, but i liked the mesa better.
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
Neither

Get a Rect-O-Verb or Trem-O-Verb combo. Best of both worlds, darker than the recto without the flabby terrible low end.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I like the lead tones the dual rec has better, the leads on 5150's and 6505's just don't sound that great IMO.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by rwalby9
Neither

Get a Rect-O-Verb or Trem-O-Verb combo. Best of both worlds, darker than the recto without the flabby terrible low end.

+1

A local band in my area had a Rect-O-Verb and it had more gain then you will ever need and it was pretty dark sounding IMO
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
TORSION, have a look at the Guitar Gear AU boards (http://www.guitargear.net.au/discussion/index.php). There is a for sale section there, and someone was selling a near new Dual Recto head on there for 2k (australia).
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Theres a trem o verb head for sale over on melband for .... $2100 with power supply, new tubes and recent service.
You might want to go check it out.
In the second hand market 5150's/6505's are normally about $1300 - $1600 and dual recs about $2000 - 2400. When there is less than a grand in it the mesa might be the better option in the long run.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Neither, go for the Mark IV if you like Petrucci's tone.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Quote by rwalby9
Neither

This will also work, but to me the Mark IV is the best Mesa amp today. But, you have to know how to tweak it, and Petrucci's settings he put on his own website himself is on there, and it's very smooth sounding.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Quote by mlkIII
This will also work, but to me the Mark IV is the best Mesa amp today. But, you have to know how to tweak it, and Petrucci's settings he put on his own website himself is on there, and it's very smooth sounding.

But the TS is in Australia, and Mesas aren't cheap over there.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
i use cleans a fair bit yea, thats why i want the seperate eq. i didnt really mind the clean i got on the 6505 either.
i went to a john petrucci clinic and he used 2 dual rectos, and they sounded sweet. i knew he used the mark 4, but yea.. i think dual rectos are cheaper?

are mesa boogies cheaper in america?
if so why?

and what is a rect o verb?
or a trem o verb?
MD5K
IBANEZ
Where will you be buying your mesa from? And also is it 6 grand with the cab, because I'm sure you could get the head for 3700 and the cab for around 1500. Thus making it 5200. Buy second hand whether it be off ebay or somewhere else. I always see dual recs on ebay (aus) going for around 2 grand.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Quote by TORSION
i use cleans a fair bit yea, thats why i want the seperate eq. i didnt really mind the clean i got on the 6505 either.
i went to a john petrucci clinic and he used 2 dual rectos, and they sounded sweet. i knew he used the mark 4, but yea.. i think dual rectos are cheaper?

are mesa boogies cheaper in america?
if so why?

and what is a rect o verb?
or a trem o verb?

it varies depending on what kind of deal you can find. mesa's are cheaper in america because there made here and don't have to be imported or shipped into the country. a rect-o-verb is just a regular recto. with built in reverb, and if my memory is correct a trem-o-verb is a recto. with built in tremolo and reverb....

i personally wouldn't get a rectoverb, to me the extra reverb option isn't worth the money. you can get a regular recto. and buy a good reverb pedal of your choice if you like reverb. just my .02 cents though
Schecter Hellraiser
Schecter S1+
Schecter Gryphon
Mesa Dual Rec.
Line6 Spider lll 75Watt Combo
WAY too many effects to list