How involved do you have to be at sight reading when going to college for music? Assuming I'm going to major in something like jazz composition. Like sight reading 128ths or something insane like that? Thanks.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Blues Jr.
Quote by goulde shaw
Like sight reading 128ths or something insane like that?

No
maybe some compound time signatures with different feels
it really depends on the college and what you're aiming for, if you're going for a scholarship you should be able to do things others cant.
I don't know what the standards are over there, but I do know that it's a big no no anywhere to start and stop when you make a mistake. If you hit a wrong note just keep going. If you stop, doubt, the tempo starts to fall and you really do a much worse job. It also takes quite a lot of points away if you're dubious and keep start-stopping.
You need to be good. You should be able to identify two notes and like *that*, be able to identify the interval and know where to play it 3 different places on your guitar. Sight-reading for guitar is different than piano because you have to think in intervals and not just muscle memory and recognition. I would also strongly suggest reading chords off the clefs. Sight-reading is a must for any music class at college.
Quote by goulde shaw
How involved do you have to be at sight reading when going to college for music? Assuming I'm going to major in something like jazz composition. Like sight reading 128ths or something insane like that? Thanks.

128th notes? LOL dude, your not applying for Paul Gilberts school of shreddery.

You'll have to be able to read. If your going for Jazz composition, they will expect you to be familiar with jazz (which means knowing that you will never see 128th notes). You will likely be asked to play some Jazz standards.

get your reading chops together

become familiar with jazz (or classical if your going for that)

Learn some jazz tunes (build up a repertoire)

study with a teacher who can help you prepare.
shred is gaudy music
One thing to remember, be able to read in ALL positions. Not just 1st - 3rd.
12 fret fury
become acquainted with "The Real Book", that should prepare you well enough
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
You should get a book of rhythm studies. Like "Rhythms Complete" published by Charles Colin. That or like Berklee's Melodic Rhythms for guitar. Those will be very useful. I like Rhythms Complete the most. You should work on books like that and be proficient at that level of work. Also get yourself a copy of The Real Book, and start learning tunes. You should know at least the basic forms for 7th chords (major, dominant, minor, minor7flat5, dim7). And if you're going for comp, I hope you like classical music, cause you'll be doing a lot of analysis of it since you'll be writing, and you gotta know where you came from to know where you're going.
TS, if you want a .pdf of a sight reading book and/or of The Real Book, just ask. I can "sell them" to you. *wink wink*
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
metal4all: That'd be great...

Thanks for the great information thus far.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Blues Jr.
Quote by goulde shaw
metal4all: That'd be great...

Thanks for the great information thus far.

I'll need your e-mail.

Edit: Where in Ohio are you?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
^ I totally want in on this arrangement....
Quote by metaldud536
Yes. When the shield generator on Endor has been deactivated, Rogue Squadron is easily able to enter the Death Star II without repurcussions.

...And that's how menstruation works.
Quote by goulde shaw
email: alexcredico@gmail.com

I live right outside Cleveland, the nicer area

Oh. I live in Newark, aka "Nerk", which is simply a city filled with a bunch of idiots that live a little East of Columbus.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I recommend Guitar Freak Workstation with SightReader Master.
It's totally adjustable to the users level and works on reading notes with rhythms. I've looked around and there's nothing for guitar or bass software that deals with sight-reading but this. The download site with some info is www.prolevelguitar.com
PS it does chords and a swing function for jazz as well. From what I can see, you can upgrade the software to a whole bunch of tools I haven't seen before... there's some videos on them.