Does anyone else feel that marriage is almost a relationship that is considered "legal"? Really the only thing that actually changes is the fact that if you get separated you have to part your stuff as the judge\jury decide, with one of you having almost no say in it. It's basically like you're being threatened not to leave this person half the time, and the other half it's used to screw people over.

Also, why is it necessary to define someone as your "boyfriend" or "girlfriend"? Can't we be in a intimate relationship without added these labels to them?
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Probably not
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
I'm feeling you man.

... At night
Military use of children?

Infantry.
Because humans like to commit to things then give up halfway. What's the fun in giving up halfway if you're not comitted?

Like when I build that timemachine. I only needed a flux capacitor but it was just too much work to get one. Or that time I thought it was too much trouble reaching for the 5th fret when I played guitar, so I quit playing guitar altogether.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
If you live with your girlfriend/boyfriend, you're in a legal relationship.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
no actaully there are many tax benifits to being married. i have been married for seven years to my high school sweetheart and i wouldnt change it fo the world.
Quote by QuebecMetal
If you live with your girlfriend/boyfriend, you're in a legal relationship.

Unless he/she happens to be a 7 year old... Then your just cool
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Marriage is mearly there to insure two people stay together.
nothing more. husband and wife are just titiles they only worth how much your will to give for it.

for ex. I could br marry to one person but not in love with that person.
and also I could be married and inlove with person.

in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, you have to constantly balence yourself to make sure the relationship contines to move forward. if the relationship doesnt move forward then in marraige it would probly end in a divorce. bf/gf relationship is like a premarraige to see if it would work.
Quote by Kensai
Because humans like to commit to things then give up halfway.

Why do we need a legal document stating that we are commited to eachother and have to stay that way? Is not one of the most important things about commitment trust? I've met people that have been living together for years and it's just like a marriage, but they don't need a license to tell them that thay're commited to eachother.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Quote by DefectedFromGod
Also, why is it necessary to define someone as your "boyfriend" or "girlfriend"? Can't we be in a intimate relationship without added these labels to them?

I do agree. But people like to be in exclusive relationships, so these labels tell other people to back off.
Quote by DefectedFromGod
Why do we need a legal document stating that we are commited to eachother and have to stay that way? Is not one of the most important things about commitment trust? I've met people that have been living together for years and it's just like a marriage, but they don't need a license to tell them that thay're commited to eachother.

So? People are wired different. Some like having someone there, the marriage is an expression of love, trust, e.t.c. Plus you get cool wedding gifts.

Some people don't need that, or are not sure of eachother to get married.

It all comes down to what people prefer.
Quote by DefectedFromGod

+1

Marriage is ridiculous and unnecessary. I'm genuinely surprised someone hasn't brought a court case about it favouring monogamy. You can get lawsuits for just about anything in the USA and I can't see how you'd argue that it doesn't unfairly favour monogamy...
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
+1

Marriage is ridiculous and unnecessary. I'm genuinely surprised someone hasn't brought a court case about it favouring monogamy. You can get lawsuits for just about anything in the USA and I can't see how you'd argue that it doesn't unfairly favour monogamy...

Finally a supporter!

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Quote by DefectedFromGod

Possibly because people LIKE being married or WANT to get married?
To be honest dude these people that you know who've been living together for ages could get married anytime they wanted to, infact I don't see why they shouldn't.

A marriage licence doesn't tell anyone that you're comitted to eachother, it just says that you're legally married, there are tons of marriages where the two people aren't comitted to eachother.

To be honest I can't think of a more explicit expression of commitment than agreeing to spend the rest of your life with somebody for better or worse. If you just live with someone than you could **** off any time you wanted to.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by DefectedFromGod

+ another 1. Marriage is an economic convenience. Its all tied into your social structure, and said structure is directly impacted by the economy of the society you live in. Love, however, has nothing to do with any of that BS.
Quote by DefectedFromGod
Finally a supporter!

Well, you got none other than meths as your supporter so consider that the highlight of your month!!

And i don't know why people bother with all of this.
People just like to commit. Like to be strongly bound and associated with other people.
Just like you call the guys you hang around with your mates, friends, home boys? etc., just like that people like to call the person they are in love with as their "boyfriend" or "girlfriend". Its sorta a way to differentiate them from everyone else and thus making them sorta special.
Now humans are too weak to just feel attachment, specialness on just an emotional level. So they feel the need to materialise it a bit. They buy gifts to please eachother, they label eachother with special names etc. All to make them more significant than the next person.

And about marriage. Well think about it as a mechanism to keep a relationship intact. When a person is married, he/she is strongly committed to the other person to stay with them for the rest of their lives. Now they may cheat n all, but usually marriages last longer than just relationships cuz humans are scared of breaking out of such strong commitments.

All this is basically just cuz humans are too weak to fully commit to eachother for a lifetime without having some sorta legal contract holding them together.

All this just to maintain that 1.5% of DNA difference between humans and animals...
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by Meths
+1

bite your tongue! this guy's getting married https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=913921
it must be cool!
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
Quote by Gregoric
Possibly because people LIKE being married or WANT to get married?
To be honest dude these people that you know who've been living together for ages could get married anytime they wanted to, infact I don't see why they shouldn't.

A marriage licence doesn't tell anyone that you're comitted to eachother, it just says that you're legally married, there are tons of marriages where the two people aren't comitted to eachother.

To be honest I can't think of a more explicit expression of commitment than agreeing to spend the rest of your life with somebody for better or worse. If you just live with someone than you could **** off any time you wanted to.

Why the hell do you need marriage to express your commitment? That would be his point. If I was married, I could fuck off any time I wanted to. There is no legal requirement that I live with, talk to or have any kind of contact with my spouse.

Marriage is completely pointless in a secular society. It also unfairly favours monogamy, although I doubt that would bother many of you, it should be taken into consideration. Before you say "oh but that affects barely anyone", the fact that it affects ANYONE should mean it is taken into account and monogamy is only the norm in the West, many other cultures have polygamous/polyandry/polyamorous/poly-whatever relationships as the norm. There is no reason that monogamy should be favoured.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
If it weren't for the economic benefits, marriage would just be an old formality. Plus, it carries a certain social standard. Me saying "Hi, my name is Alex, and this is my girlfriend, Kristine" doesn't have the same impact as saying "Hi, my name is Alex, and this is my wife, Kristine." In a social setting, the idea of marriage is more for other people than the couple in question. It's stupid and a bit arbitrary, I agree, but it still has its functions, however insignificant they may appear to be.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
Quote by Meths
Why the hell do you need marriage to express your commitment? That would be his point. If I was married, I could fuck off any time I wanted to. There is no legal requirement that I live with, talk to or have any kind of contact with my spouse.

Marriage is completely pointless in a secular society. It also unfairly favours monogamy, although I doubt that would bother many of you, it should be taken into consideration. Before you say "oh but that affects barely anyone", the fact that it affects ANYONE should mean it is taken into account and monogamy is only the norm in the West, many other cultures have polygamous/polyandry/polyamorous/poly-whatever relationships as the norm. There is no reason that monogamy should be favoured.

Why not? If you're committed to a partner 100% then surely that means that you only need to shag her?

right?

And I didn't say you *needed* marriage to show you're committed to somebody but if you say it and mean it seriously then it's a damn good indication.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
I don't exactly know why people bother with all of this.
People just like to commit. Like to be strongly bound and associated with other people.
Just like you call the guys you hang around with your mates, friends, home boys? etc., just like that people like to call the person they are in love with as their "boyfriend" or "girlfriend". Its sorta a way to differentiate them from everyone else and thus making them sorta special.
Now humans are too weak to just feel attachment, specialness on just an emotional level. So they feel the need to materialise it a bit. They buy gifts to please eachother, they label eachother with special names etc. All to make them more significant than the next person.

And about marriage. Well think about it as a mechanism to keep a relationship intact. When a person is married, he/she is strongly committed to the other person to stay with them for the rest of their lives. Now they may cheat n all, but usually marriages last longer than just relationships cuz humans are scared of breaking out of such strong commitments.

All this is basically just cuz humans are too weak to fully commit to eachother for a lifetime without having some sorta legal contract holding them together.

All this just to maintain that 1.5% of DNA difference between humans and animals...
Quote by Gregoric
Why not? If you're committed to a partner 100% then surely that means that you only need to shag her?

right?

...I'm sorry, I don't see how that's in the least bit relevant to marriage.

Quote by Gregoric
And I didn't say you *needed* marriage to show you're committed to somebody but if you say it and mean it seriously then it's a damn good indication.

There's no reason to marry someone to show your commitment. All it means is there's the extra little bit of hassle when you break-up (having to file for divorce).

Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
There's no reason to marry someone to show your commitment. All it means is there's the extra little bit of hassle when you break-up (having to file for divorce).

You'll have to understand, it's for people who aren't dead on the inside, Jack
Quote by Kensai
You'll have to understand, it's for people who aren't dead on the inside, Jack

Touché.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by DefectedFromGod

Hey guys, this is Rachael whom I share an intimate relationship with.

It gets tiring every time.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
Quote by af_the_fragile

You must mean between humans and monkeys. The word "animal" is not a specific genetic label and includes humans. And even animals sometimes form exclusive relationships, they just don't need a piece of paper to prove it to themselves.
Quote by Meths
...I'm sorry, I don't see how that's in the least bit relevant to marriage.

i was asked about why marriage should favour manogomy, and that's why.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Gregoric
i was asked about why marriage should favour manogomy, and that's why.

It shouldn't favour monogamy. Your explanation didn't give any logical reason for why the state should favour monogamous relationships.

Oscar Wilde