Hey guys,
I currently have a Boss MT-2 in my pedal board (NOTE: I'm not a guitar noob that thinks this pedal is in anyway amazing, I am simply using it as a booster pedal through my amp overdrive). Thing is, I know this pedal on its own sounds like utter w*nk, at the moment im using it as a booster to get that tight distortion sound and extra sustain through the amp (which in actual fact are probably the only redeeming features of this pedal).
More to the point, this pedal still gives that annoying Boss Metal Zone "nasal" sound and despite many many months of playing around with the EQ knobs and seperate EQ pedals to try and recitify this cr*p, I'm finally giving up on it.
So basically, I'm after another pedal to boost distortion through my amp yet give a very tight distortion, with good sustains and more-over a good tonal sound!
I play the usual metalcore and modern metal stuff, any recommendations of pedals would be great!

NOTE: I'm pretty sure I'm not the only MT-2 user who is after a change as well
Get an ibanez or maxon ts9 and run it through your effects loop.

or get a bbe sonic maximizer
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
With my metal zone i just run it into an eq pedal and shaped my sound thru that, sounds pretty decent although i am modding the one i have spare to hear how that sounds. Thats two ways you can try with your current mt2.
Guitars:
Ibanez RGR321EX
Schecter Omen 7 (with Dimarzio D-Sonic in bridge and Air Norton in neck)
Effects:
Tokai TFL-1 Flanger
Boss RGE-10 Graphic EQ
Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Amp:
Laney IronHeart IRT60 212
Yea I got a Tubescreamer TS9, very good pedal but lacks any tightness or that distortion feel really......unless your running it through and actual amp head like a peavey 6505/5105 or whatever
oh yea, and also why would you run it through your effects loop??????surely it would go through your pedal loop with all other distortion effects
Sounds like you need an EQ pedal rather than another distortion box, especially seeing as you already have the Tubescreamer and a DS1.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
And anyway even if I did use the EQ that wouldn't really eliminate the set tonality of a pedal! It would merely scoop out bits/or pull up of the frequency range!
Quote by Teh GIR
Get an ibanez or maxon ts9 and run it through your effects loop.

or get a bbe sonic maximizer

Why would you run it through your FX-loop? Putting a distortion type pedal in the loop sounds like crap.

A Sonic Maximizer wouldn't give him any gain and is a waste of money if you can buy a good EQ imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Am I right in thinking that EHX Metal Muff's are quite old school metal sounding i.e. Pantera and Metallica?
Quote by MetalMatt243
Am I right in thinking that EHX Metal Muff's are quite old school metal sounding i.e. Pantera and Metallica?

someone said "pantera in a box"

their taste in tone is questionable though
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by MetalMatt243
And anyway even if I did use the EQ that wouldn't really eliminate the set tonality of a pedal! It would merely scoop out bits/or pull up of the frequency range!

I guess you've never spent much time messing with an EQ pedal then? They're probably the most useful pedal you can get.

Trust me, it's what you need. Tubescreamers produce more than enough gain, if they didn't you wouldn't have shedloads of metal guitarists using them in their rigs, you jus tneed more control over the voicing.

Likewise the DS1 isn't a great standalone pedal, it sounds pretty cruddy actually if you just run it through a clean amp. However, if you knock the gain right down and boost the level it'll work fine boosting an already overdriven tube amp, it'll just be dirtier than using something like the Tubescreamer...it worked well enough that way for Steve Vai to use it.

If you can't get the tones you want with the your amp and your existing pedals plus an EQ pedal then I'm afraid it's time for a new amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Ok then, what EQ pedals are affordable yet effective? I know MXR do a few but they tend to be pricey!
Quote by steven seagull
I guess you've never spent much time messing with an EQ pedal then? They're probably the most useful pedal you can get.

Trust me, it's what you need. Tubescreamers produce more than enough gain, if they didn't you wouldn't have shedloads of metal guitarists using them in their rigs, you jus tneed more control over the voicing.

Likewise the DS1 isn't a great standalone pedal, it sounds pretty cruddy actually if you just run it through a clean amp. However, if you knock the gain right down and boost the level it'll work fine boosting an already overdriven tube amp, it'll just be dirtier than using something like the Tubescreamer...it worked well enough that way for Steve Vai to use it.

If you can't get the tones you want with the your amp and your existing pedals plus an EQ pedal then I'm afraid it's time for a new amp.

+1 to everything in that post, also, i use a boss DS-2 in the same way, it acts as a kind of treble boost.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by MetalMatt243
Ok then, what EQ pedals are affordable yet effective? I know MXR do a few but they tend to be pricey!

The MXR 6-band is probably what I'd go for, but if you don't want to spend too much then the Behringer EQ isn't all that bad, certainly not as bad as their modulations or distortions are...let's face it, it's hard to muck up an EQ pedal! It's a bit noisy but no more so than it's Boss equivalent and it's only £17.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/mxr_m_109_6bandeq.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_eq700.htm
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by MrCarrot
Alternatives to the MT-2?

Death.

No, that would be similarities!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
No, that would be similarities!

No its an alternative pedal.....muppet
i second the behringer EQ. it cost me like $20 and it does the job well enough.

I see you're using a Laney LC-30. is it an optimal amp for metal??
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
That is a good question; it is a very very good amp and despite Laney's description of it being a Hot USA sound it does sound rather bluesy/muddy/crunchy probably most ideal for classic rock and blues sounds! None the less it is an amazing amp with seriously good tones and the tubes are great too! But yea I was thinking that at some point I should look into investing into a half stack of some sort.....
Alternative to the mt-2? Sansamp gt-2.

But if you want a boost pedal, get a ts808. or a cheap one which is good, the bad monkey.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots