Hello all. I bought a starter guitar kit about 1 and a half years ago and I think it's time I get a new amp. In the starter kit I got a Fender Squier Strat and a 15W Frontman. I've been looking on Guitar Center.com and I think I've settled on either a Marshall MG15MSII Micro Stack or a Fender FM65DSP 65 Watt 1x12 Frontman Combo Amp. I need your opinion on them and maybe some other suggestions? I play all types of rock and alternative. I do gig very rarely but I have band practice so I need to be able to haul it around. Thanks for your time!
from that, the frontman, if youre gigging, but theyre both pretty dire

whats your budget, location and styles?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by Rockin'15
I think about $300.

well, the marshall mg is terrible.

i'm guessing the fender isn't much better, though i'm not too familiar with them.

i'd probably consider a roland cube 60 or vox valvetronix...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have a Frontman and wouldn't recommend it - especially for gigging. Although better than the MG - you can find better.

Oh, and the RULES state no VS. Threads so you know. There is a Sticky at the top of each forum that states the Rules. Welcome to UG by the way.

$300. Hhhmm, can you go used. Are you in the US? Go to Craigslist.com and search on guitar amplifiers.
seconded on the cube ^
cube is probably the best if you have to buy solid state
"A good song should make you want to tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I’m only interested in writing great songs." - Tom Morello
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i have a Frontman and wouldn't recommend it - especially for gigging. Although better than the MG - you can find better.

Oh, and the RULES state no VS. Threads so you know. There is a Sticky at the top of each forum that states the Rules. Welcome to UG by the way.

$300. Hhhmm, can you go used. Are you in the US? Go to Craigslist.com and search on guitar amplifiers.

+1.000.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
What's your area, Ill find a deal for you.

This is my favorite Crate, only about $100 over your budget, but the best one, and loud.http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-V-Series-V50-112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-487054-i1322695.gc
Quote by chip46
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Jul 20, 2008,
Yeah I looked at that too, but it looks pretty big and I have lug it around.
Don't get the Frontman or Marshall MG. The 15watt FM will not have much of a tone difference than the 212 or any other FM. The MG has terrible distortion... I have nothing to suggest
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Check it out: Energizedbyvitamins.com
it would be worth lugging around if its a good tube amp
"A good song should make you want to tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I’m only interested in writing great songs." - Tom Morello
Thanks for all your quick replies. I'll take any amp models that you think would be best for about $300. I would like to get a tube amp but it doesn't matter too much.
Quote by Rockin'15
Thanks for all your quick replies. I'll take any amp models that you think would be best for about $300. I would like to get a tube amp but it doesn't matter too much.

do i have to post it again?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
this

that was easy wasnt it?

+1
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Check it out: Energizedbyvitamins.com
well if you are not bothered about tubes, then cube. i dont know how good that tube crate is but if its good, it will would better than any solid state amp.

based on what you've said, i say cube 30 or 60
They look good, but I've heard they're unreliable.
Quote by chip46
Quote by Rockin'15
I have also been look at the Digitech RP250. What do you guys think?

The RP250 is OK, I have one, but it won't sound good thru a Tube amp necessarily.

It does sound OK thru my Frontman but I still don't think these are the right choices. PM me if want you more info and I have clips in profile of RP250 strait into a PC.

What effects do you think you need?

MORE importantly tho is: What kind of music do you play?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by Rockin'15
I've been thinking and if I really stretched my budget then what would you guys think of this?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG100HDFX-MG412-Half-Stack-with-Digital-Effects-482805-i1145907.gc

No, it's appalling.

Forget the Digitech too, no point wasting money on things like that when you need an amp.

Frontman=crap
Marshall MG=crap
Line 6 Spider=crap

What kind of music do you play? If you can go to $500 then the Kustom Defender might be worth a look...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-The-Defender-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482291
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
agreed... paying more for an MG100 is paying more for something which sounds equally bad, just louder.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've been looking and what would you guys think of the Peavey Valveking 212? It has some good reviews.
Quote by Rockin'15
I've been looking and what would you guys think of the Peavey Valveking 212? It has some good reviews.

It's a pretty good amp, but you DON'T NEED 100W ALL TUBE. get the VK112.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I went Guitar Center yesterday and I found a Marshall MG100DFX. I absolutely love it? You guys have an opinion?
OMG - I hope you are not trolling.

I don't care for that amp at all but if you like it...buy it.

I would Search on that amp up in top right and read what others have said.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 28, 2008,
Quote by Rockin'15
I went Guitar Center yesterday and I found a Marshall MG100DFX. I absolutely love it? You guys have an opinion?

From a few posts up, in response to the exact same amp

Quote by steven seagull
No, it's appalling.

Either quit trolling or start reading what people post.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Rockin'15

It's not the best amp you can get for the price. Basically an oversized practice amp, but not too bad for a beginner. Where do ya live I'd give you mine for cheap

A small tube amp would be fine or a modeling amp like a cube. Either way you're not going to find great quality in a cheap solid state.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
^ agreed. we'll find your new thread, too. EDIT: dang, it's been reported, so we can't post in it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This thread is hilarious...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Hey Rockin'15,

Why did you now create a 3rd Thread in one night asking the same thing? Maybe there are more and I don't see them. There are a lot of recommendations in your first thread here so personally, I would just come back here to keep bumping and asking questions instead of creating new threads and bumping/trolling. Also, personally, I would spend some time using the Search Bar provided here and web sites like Musiciansfriend, HarmonyCentral, and Google. The Rules thread that is stickied might also be something worth reading thru.

you may think I'm being a prick but people spent time trying to help you and you just start new threads which causes more work because people are going to have to ask you the same questions over and over. There I feel better now. Go to GC and try some of these amps. So far you've got Crate amps, Roland Cubes, Peavey Classic 30 and Valveking, and then the MG100 and Frontman 65 that you originally considered. Also add in, a Fender SuperChamp or Blues Jr., Vox Valvetronix, Epi Valve Jr, Blackheart and possibly a B-52.

Good luck I realize you are 13 so I'm trying to give you a break.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Hey Rockin'15,

Why did you now create a 3rd Thread in one night asking the same thing? Maybe there are more and I don't see them. There are a lot of recommendations in your first thread here so personally, I would just come back here to keep bumping and asking questions instead of creating new threads and bumping/trolling. Also, personally, I would spend some time using the Search Bar provided here and web sites like Musiciansfriend, HarmonyCentral, and Google. The Rules thread that is stickied might also be something worth reading thru.

you may think I'm being a prick but people spent time trying to help you and you just start new threads which causes more work because people are going to have to ask you the same questions over and over. There I feel better now. Go to GC and try some of these amps. So far you've got Crate amps, Roland Cubes, Peavey Classic 30 and Valveking, and then the MG100 and Frontman 65 that you originally considered. Also add in, a Fender SuperChamp or Blues Jr., Vox Valvetronix, Epi Valve Jr, Blackheart and possibly a B-52.

Good luck I realize you are 13 so I'm trying to give you a break.

Thanks for actually being nice about it.
Well if this thread hasn't completely failed yet and you're still looking for recommendations, look at the B-52 AT-112
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build