Im looking to buy a new bass and i'm intrigued by the musicmaster. I have played mustangs and liked them a lot and my first bass was also a squier bronco. If anyone owns or has played a musicmaster could they tell me what they think of them because i cannot find one in any shops and just want some opinions on them. I also play punk, alternative, indie, but also want something that i can play motown and blues on
cheersssss
Last edited by jewishfriend at Jul 20, 2008,
I've got a 78 Musicmaster. Trust me, you don't really want it. The pickup is a six-string Statocaster pickup. What does this mean? That it has no low-end. Also, that the low mids around 100-200 Hz are crazy pronounced. With that being said, if you replaced the pickup (you'd need a new pickguard, as even a single coil P-bass pickup doesn't fit) it's an alright bass.

But really, it's not worth it. What's the price of the Musicmaster? I know you can get much better quality for the same price.
cheers for the advise, theyre around £300 for 76-78 models. I doubt i'll look into buying one now and ill probably set my sights on a p-bass or mustang.
Quote by jewishfriend
cheers for the advise, theyre around £300 for 76-78 models. I doubt i'll look into buying one now and ill probably set my sights on a p-bass or mustang.

dont get a mustang man, u will regret buying it after a while due to the short scale neck
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by TANKER69
dont get a mustang man, u will regret buying it after a while due to the short scale neck

nonsnse. just be prepared to have trouble with long scales if that is the only one you play for a long time. which means jam out in music shops for fun.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I've never been able to play a Mustang, but I imagine they're better than Musicmasters (the only difference is the pickup, which is a big one). But for £300, I'd get a new Standard Fender. Jazz or Precision is your decision.

EDIT: That about not being able to play long scales isn't much true. Or at least for me. I played a Musicmaster exclusively for an entire year, and then played a Precision with no problem.
Quote by the humanity
nonsnse. just be prepared to have trouble with long scales if that is the only one you play for a long time. which means jam out in music shops for fun.

Ive been swapping from long scale to short scale for plenty of time and it is not too much trouble for me. I do have big hands, but also enjoy playing fast runs, which is why i find shortscales useful. Ill probably get a standard mim p-bass anyway because i'm looking for more mmmppphhh in my tone and i play punk and motown so i can get both tones
Last edited by jewishfriend at Jul 21, 2008,
personally, i love the musicmaster, great with a pick
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!