This isn't guitar related, but I figured the people here would know something about it.

A fuse was blow in my stereo when we had a power surge and when I took it out it was a 5A 125V. Now I pretty much live away from all civilization so when my parents finally went to town to buy me another fuse they got one that was 5A 250V. Would this fuse work in the other one's place? I'm assuming it wouldn't but I'd like to know before I try it.
And don't suggest I just buy a new stereo, this one was a hell of a lot of money.
Quote by ToffeeandApples
You my friend, put the pwn in pwnt.

Hell Yeah
I wouldn't try it even though those fuses seem more common around my area for some reason. If you do it could potentially let way too much current through in the event of a power surge. That could cause very bad things.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Quote by ibanezrg350ex
This isn't guitar related, but I figured the people here would know something about it.

A fuse was blow in my stereo when we had a power surge and when I took it out it was a 5A 125V. Now I pretty much live away from all civilization so when my parents finally went to town to buy me another fuse they got one that was 5A 250V. Would this fuse work in the other one's place? I'm assuming it wouldn't but I'd like to know before I try it.
And don't suggest I just buy a new stereo, this one was a hell of a lot of money.
no problem. the voltage rating needs to be at least as high as the original value. having a rating that is higher does no harm, nor causes any loss of protection.

there are 2 factors that ARE important.
1 - the current rating. in this case, they are both 5 amperes. good.
2 - the type of fuse. fast acting or time delay.
make sure the replacement is the same as the original.
a fast acting fuse will fail during the start-up surge if used where a time delay fuse is required.
a time delay fuse won't react quickly enough to protect in cases where a fast acting fuse is required.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
o i was hoping 4 something involving explosins
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me