I think about any good solid body guitar can be used to play metal, metalcore, etc. The amp is much more important to the overall sound than the guitar, as you can always swap out pups in a guitar to get more bite.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Quote by shredder.cheese
I think about any good solid body guitar can be used to play metal, metalcore, etc. The amp is much more important to the overall sound than the guitar, as you can always swap out pups in a guitar to get more bite.

hmm good point. im hopefully getting a cube 30x, and ive got a digitech metal master, if that helps.

on the pickup comment, could i swap one of the pickups (probably the bridge) for an EMG 81 once i get the money required, and it still sound good?

hmmm is this a better choice?

http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_ENCSMEBH1.html?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Froogle
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Last edited by Hoodoo Child at Jul 20, 2008,
Nope, at least not with the standard humbuckers. Epi's are sort of midrange-heavy tonally, you don't get the overwhelming amounts of bass like with a Gibson LP (speaking about tonewoods only). However, the pickups are muddy as hell, and the middle pickups is useless anyway. The custom with two pickups is a better choice and it's cheaper anyway. If you replace the pickups with a ceramic magnet humbucker for the bridge position (Seymour Duncan SH5 or something like that) and a lower output humbucker for the neck position you'll be settled.
But there are less complicated ways to get a good tone for metal. Jackson, Ibanez and ESP Ltd guitars are a good starting point?

And before you go buying guitars: What amp are you using?
God no, don't go for active pickups unless you have a guitar that is made of premium woods and has been constructed to the highest standards. Epi guitars are nice, but they don't fall into that category. Also, you'll need an excellent tube amp (one that is only good won't do it) to make those EMGs sound good. If you want the Cube, stick with passive pickups.

EDIT: If you go for a cheap guitar with EMGs, you'll only get what people constantly complain about: A sterile sounding guitar that can't do anything but brutal distortion sounds and even those will be mediocre at best.
Seriously, that is a bad idea.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by TheQuailman
Nope, at least not with the standard humbuckers. Epi's are sort of midrange-heavy tonally, you don't get the overwhelming amounts of bass like with a Gibson LP (speaking about tonewoods only). However, the pickups are muddy as hell, and the middle pickups is useless anyway. The custom with two pickups is a better choice and it's cheaper anyway. If you replace the pickups with a ceramic magnet humbucker for the bridge position (Seymour Duncan SH5 or something like that) and a lower output humbucker for the neck position you'll be settled.
But there are less complicated ways to get a good tone for metal. Jackson, Ibanez and ESP Ltd guitars are a good starting point?

a crap yamaha 10 watt amp, and yeah my other choice is a jackson rr3

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by TheQuailman

He has a little Yamaha one, yet he is buying a Cube 30 and a pedal...

My psychic powers win again!

But I would maybe have a look for another amp, maybe a Randall? I dunno.

EDIT: ^ I would have said the Yamaha amp before ya, but I spent ages trying to find out how to spell pshchic
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by TheQuailman

I have to agree with you there but (and there is always a but) some people prefer LP type bodies and necks just as some people hate the Strat style bodies and necks so if the TS is set on an LP type guitar then the best thing (as you also pointed out) is a pup swap - oh and a good amp.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Quote by Lil Macker
He has a little Yamaha one, yet he is buying a Cube 30 and a pedal...

My psychic powers win again!

But I would maybe have a look for another amp, maybe a Randall? I dunno.

EDIT: ^ I would have said the Yamaha amp before ya, but I spent ages trying to find out how to spell pshchic

not BUYING a pedal. ive GOT a pedal.

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
a crap yamaha 10 watt amp, and yeah my other choice is a jackson rr3

The jackson sounds like a better alternative, though I don't know how good the tremolo on it is. Also, if you're going for such a guitar, a tube amp should be your first choice, in order to complement it. If you want high gain and low price, maybe look at the Ibanez ValBee. only 5 watts, but a good tone.
Quote by TheQuailman
God no, don't go for active pickups unless you have a guitar that is made of premium woods and has been constructed to the highest standards. Epi guitars are nice, but they don't fall into that category. Also, you'll need an excellent tube amp (one that is only good won't do it) to make those EMGs sound good. If you want the Cube, stick with passive pickups.

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Seriously!

Active pickups disguise the tone that would be coming from the construction of the guitar. Thats what they were designed for, to even the playing field. EMG's sound exactly the same whether they are in alder, basswood, agathis, or mahogony.

And you dont have to have top of the line gear to make EMG's sound good. You can make EMG's sound good with SS amps, they just tend to sound better through tubes. Damn man, you really need to do some research before you start spewing bad info like that around.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
This is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Seriously!

Active pickups disguise the tone that would be coming from the construction of the guitar. Thats what they were designed for, to even the playing field. EMG's sound exactly the same whether they are in alder, basswood, agathis, or mahogony.

And you dont have to have top of the line gear to make EMG's sound good. You can make EMG's sound good with SS amps, they just tend to sound better through tubes. Damn man, you really need to do some research before you start spewing bad info like that around.

Completely contrary to my experience. If EMGs were designed to even the playing field, then the designers just failed. I have heard and tried many guitars with EMGs, and they were all bad except for the highest end ones.
I'm sure it is. Almost anything is mostly depending on the pickups and such.

I'd go for Ibanez guitars though.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Quote by TheQuailman

Completely contrary to my experience. If EMGs were designed to even the playing field, then the designers just failed. I have heard and tried many guitars with EMGs, and they were all bad except for the highest end ones.

Then perhaps you were talking about the hardware on the guitars. And if so then I apologize. But the type of wood makes very little difference in the tone when you use active pickups. For a while I went through the whole "EMG's are teh sexzorz" thing and I played a bunch of different guitars all having EMG's and they all sounded exactly the same. From the low end BC Rich guitars to the high end ESP's and Ibanez.

Now passive pickups do derive alot of their tone from the wood the guitar is made from. And you may have been talking about the passive HZ series EMG's. But I assure you that active pickups take very little, if any, of their tone from the wood.