hey guys , ive just started playing some killswitch engage ( my curse more specificaly) and i need a good distortion pedal to allow me to emulate their sound to the best of my ability. so do any of u peeps have any recomendatons?

at the moments im playing a vintage advanced av1 ( les paul style) through a kustom high voltage 65watt amp. im completely new to effects even though ive been playing for about 3 years so far so dont realy know were to start.
im also considering buying a new guitar specificaly for metal so any recomedations on this would also be greatly appreciated. ( probably up to £ 300.00 -350.00 max) thanks
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Last edited by QuebecMetal at Jul 20, 2008,
thanx for reply but the only problem is that their a bit out of my price range at the moment so are there any cheaper alternatives?
in my opinion the metalcore pedal boss makes sucks big time but then again its killswitch engage so it would be quite fitting, but i would suggest the metal muff if you cant afford the previously stated maxon pedals
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by QuebecMetal

Those won't help unless you already have a high gain tube amp; they are known to use the following: Daul Rectifiers, Framus Dragons and a variety of Splawn heads on record and 5150s in the early days, the Maxons the use are purely for tightening the tone by taking out some bass and adding mids and highs.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Those won't help unless you already have a high gain tube amp; they are known to use the following: Daul Rectifiers, Framus Dragons and a variety of Splawn heads on record and 5150s in the early days, the Maxons the use are purely for tightening the tone by taking out some bass and adding mids and highs.

agreed. the big problem with killswitch engage is that their tone kicks ass, and it's achieved with mega-expensive high gain tube amps, tightened slightly with the aforementioned maxons. It's pretty hard to achieve with a pedal.

I haven't tried the vintage advance av1, but the couple of other vintage advances I tried were remarkably decent for the money. Machinehead is blowing out washburn wi65 idols for £239, which may be worth considering, but (other than the pickups), it's probably not too major a step-up from the vintage advance. you can pick up a washburn x50pro for £300 on e.g. gak, but again it's debatable if that's putting your money to its best use. While a more metal guitar will sound a little more "metal" than your current guitar, I'm not sure it'll make a big enough difference to justify the expense.

Your best bet is either to (a) get a new high gain tube amp (which is difficult at your price range- perhaps a randall rg50tc, but that's more like £350, and it's not amazing, just "decent" for the money) or (b) get a quality distortion pedal which will be useful even when you eventually change your amp. something like an HBE full metal jacket (i haven't tried it, but their other dirt pedals are really nice), or maybe one of those new blackstars (which, again, i haven't tried) or (c) either save up more for a good high gain amp or save a bit more so you could maybe pick on up second-hand; a peavey 5150/6505 combo goes for about £800 new so should conceivably be able to be picked up for around £400 second-hand, or maybe an engl screamer combo (similar price range).

it's really up to you; just what you don't want to do is to blow your money on something which won't achieve what you want, because if you do that you're even further away from getting the KSE tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
line6's spider 3 amps have killswitch engage settings created by kse themselves. ive heard it and it sounds exactly like their tones (the amp has multiple kse settings) .
Quote by grimguitarist91
line6's spider 3 amps have killswitch engage settings created by kse themselves. ive heard it and it sounds exactly like their tones (the amp has multiple kse settings) .

No the Spiders preset does not sound like Killswitch Engage.
I don't necessarily suggest the spider valve in general, as I haven't played on one alot, but the Killswitch setting was VERY close to their tone for the price, and I'm a big Killswitch fan. I ended up getting a Mesa F-50, but the spider valve was a close runner up.
Quote by Burpin'Worm
1fine69's car is bloody gorgeous.
Quote by mightymanlet
thanx for reply but the only problem is that their a bit out of my price range at the moment so are there any cheaper alternatives?

Boss Metalcore ML-2 distortion pedal
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Quote by 1fine69
I don't necessarily suggest the spider valve in general, as I haven't played on one alot, but the Killswitch setting was VERY close to their tone for the price, and I'm a big Killswitch fan. I ended up getting a Mesa F-50, but the spider valve was a close runner up.

When I tried the Spider valve it sounded ok but not as good as Killswitch Engages tone. The spider valve was also annoying as I always got lost in the presets because there are so many of them and most of them are rubbish. There are better things to buy such as the Randall RG50TC which is cheaper and isn't digital.