Page 1 of 2
I'm going to be getting a new bass at the end of this summer and I'm not sure what to get. I'm upgrading from my first bass, a Stagg BC300GB (which can be described as great looking, sh*te everything else). I've narrowed it down to three basses:
Epiphone EB-3
Epiphone Les Paul Special Bass
Ibanez ICB200EX (Pearl White)
I was wondering whterh anyone had played one or more of these and could give me a little advice. I read the reviews but they all say the same things for every single bass.
Haven't heard great things about the EB-3 if it's the SG bass, but, Epiphone's Thunderbird is great, Epiphone have never done wrong with any of the guitars and basses ive played by them

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Epihone doesn't have the greatest rep on this board. Mainly due to its Thunderbird bass, but a lot of the flack it gets for the Thunderbird gets pushed onto its other basses i.e. The Les Paul and EB-3. However, the steroetyping is done justly; as the basses, from personal experience, really aren't that great. The Les Paul can handle a "rock" tone quite well, but both basses are known for having an "unclear" and "muddy" sound.

If you're truly set on getting one of these three basses get the Ibanez, it'll have better playability, more versatility, and better looks (IMO) then either of the Epiphone basses. But, it wouldn't hurt to look at more basses.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Epiphone EB-3 is terrible, i sold mine today ^_^ its muddy, neck dives like mad and is generally pretty poor, like the thunderbird, the les paul bass also has a few flaws of its own so id pass that, couldnt comment on the ibanez as i havent played it. imho the 3 you have mentioned are very good GUITARS but unfortunaltely havent stood the test of instumental switchover... i suggest you keep looking and try other models like the higher end squiers and sum mid range ibanez models
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
... i suggest you keep looking and try other models like the higher end squiers and sum mid range ibanez models

I like these three guitars especially cos they're all in my price range (£300 max) and none of them look like strats or precision. I like the EB3 because IMO the SG is the best looking thing ever. The Les Paul is cheap and people seem to give it thumbs up a lot of the time and the Ibanez because is active, I can get in the colour I want and is mid range rather than high-low end.
Don't buy a bass just because of its looks. Get the Ibanez or a Vintage Modified series Squire.
Quote by Spaz91
I like the EB3 because IMO the SG is the best looking thing ever. .

that was exactly my reasoning but you really will get sick of it, people told me that when i wanted one an i was leik zomg whatever and now im glad its gone. The sg looks much better on guitars anyway. i used to hate the shape of precisions but i really like them now especially the tone, there isnt really a kiind of music that the eb3 works for its tone is just poor, it cant do punk or jazz, it isnt even very well suited for the classic rock its designed for. the gibson sg bass is a bit better id still take a squier precision over a gibson sg (if i couldnt sell it lol) but seriously im just tellin you that i felt the same about it and i went off it reall quickly after i got one
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Get the Ibanez. I've said it three times, thats how much I really mean it. Epiphone basses usually lack quality and Ibanez basses are the opposite.
Quote by ThatGuy177
Get the Ibanez. I've said it three times, thats how much I really mean it. Epiphone basses usually lack quality and Ibanez basses are the opposite.

dont get any of them, he can easily do better with 300
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I've played 3 EB-3s and they were all pieces of ****. Played 1 Les Paul and it was pretty bad. Played 2 Icemans and they were both pretty nice. Though I think I heard something about a neckdive problem?
Quote by CaptainJack666

Your probably right. A Vintage Modified Squire would be the best choice, but if you had to go with the LP or the Ibanez, the Ibanez is the obvious choice.
Quote by ThatGuy177
Your probably right. A Vintage Modified Squire would be the best choice, but if you had to go with the LP or the Ibanez, the Ibanez is the obvious choice.

yeah, i just sold my eb3 and am usin the money to get a VM precision, the popularity of the VM jazz is huge on this forum but the p bass is more my thing. the classic vibe squiers are pretty cool too, and if your into warwick (which i very much am not) some of their rockbasses are apparently pretty good
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I had a look at the VM Jazz bass and it seems pretty good, if I were to get one then I'd get the 5 string atctive, but it has the same problem as precision knock offs, they're far too bulky. My BC300, the Les Paul and ICB are all just the right size (I'll admit the BC300 looks a bit odd with a small body and a full size neck). If anyone knows of any good small bodies basses, preferably active, for less than £300 don;t hesitate to post a link please.
small body basses nearly always result in neck dive
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Last edited by CaptainJack666 at Jul 20, 2008,
I agree with getting none of them. You can get better basses that are more versitile, but out of the three i would go with the ibanez.

x

EDIT: in fact no don't get the ICB, go with a different ibanez. Something from the soundgear series would suit you nicely i think. Have a look at the ibanex BTB?
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Last edited by shinhoman at Jul 20, 2008,
Epiphone basses are good with the guitar playing at the same time. But it really sucks on its own, due to it's muddiness.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Last edited by KKING911 at Jul 20, 2008,
I 'd actually recommend steering clear of all four of those basses. They tend to have major flaws and are out shined by other basses in that price range. Much like the other the iceman tends to neck dive quite severely. I'd say go with something like the Godin freeway 4 it's a great bass for the price.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
My curret bass is top heavy but it doesnt bother me much, the way I hold my bass is much more suited to small bodies.
Quote by Spaz91
My curret bass is top heavy but it doesnt bother me much, the way I hold my bass is much more suited to small bodies.

then arent u having to support the neck with your fretting hand
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I'd get the Ibanez. They are great for being cheap, not very pricy, and you get what you paid for.

Epiphone.. not so much.
DB Player
Quote by CaptainJack666

this. I'll name a few
Ibanez GSR200
Ibanez SR300
Squier VM jazz bass
Squier VM P Bass
Squier CV 50's P-bass
Squier CV 60's P-bass
Squier CV jazz bass
Peavey Millenium BXP

and that's just stuff I saw at Guitarcenter.com. hope this helps
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
this. I'll name a few
Ibanez GSR200
Ibanez SR300
Squier VM jazz bass
Squier VM P Bass
Squier CV 50's P-bass
Squier CV 60's P-bass
Squier CV jazz bass
Peavey Millenium BXP

humanity just made a list of the exact ones i was thinking, so hes psychic as well as correct
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
humanity just made a list of the exact ones i was thinking, so hes psychic as well as correct

bow to your master. NOW!!!!!!!!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
bow to your master. NOW!!!!!!!!

u may be my master but I remain the lord of sexyness (thanks sig)
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
All of those basses are terrible. All of them neckdive, the Thunderbird is an utter joke. The iceman has as much neckdive as the tbird, although it sounds better. The sg has the most neckdive of all of them, and it has an extremely muddy sound.

All of them suck, but the ibanez sounds the best.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by CaptainJack666
then arent u having to support the neck with your fretting hand

Nope, the pressure from my thumb resting on the pickup is enough to keep it in place, I have it fairly horizontal anyway. I rest my wrist on the top of the body which is why I need a small fram and some topheavyness so that it doesnt slip up.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jul 20, 2008,
Ibanez GSR200 - Exactly the same as my current bass with better hardware, I'm looking for something a bit different.
Ibanez SR300 - Possible but looks boring (looks are important to me and nothing you can say will change that)
Squier VM jazz bass - Very good, has all the right bits but the body is too bulky.
Squier VM P Bass - Never really like the presicion sound.
Squier CV 50's P-bass - "
Squier CV 60's P-bass - "
Squier CV jazz bass - " on the bulky body.
Peavey Millenium BXP - other than the brilliant headstock it looks boring.

PS. The Ibanez ICB200EX is £220, which is quite good value IMO.
save yourself £80 and get an ibanez sr300, way better than all of the basses youve listed TS. they sell it for thomann for £220 something. looks great, balances really well, slim neck so its comfy to play, great versatile tone that can deal with anything.

EDIT: how can you say sr looks boring! http://site.mynet.com/mekan2006/mynet_resimlerim/fieldy.jpg that is an sr and frankly that looks amazing.
Last edited by jb_reborn at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by Spaz91

Squier CV jazz bass - " on the bulky body.

jazz basses arent bulky, unless you play guitar
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
dont let the looks of the bass come before the playability and the tone of it. you might be happy for the first week of getting the thing cos it looks so "COOL" but after that you would get extremely frustrated cos the tone is **** and it feels like a ****ing tree to play with. **** tone and tree neck cant grow on you, but the looks of a bass can.
EDIT: if you really want something cool looking that sounds great and looks great, check out ESP basses. the F104 plays and sounds pretty good, its £250 so its in your price range as well.
Jazzes are in no way bulky, and the Ibanez SR's have greta necks and sound

The Iceman is a bit of a duffer as far as Ibanez is concerned, it looks silly and neck dives horribly, dont go near epiphone or Gibson for basses,and dont buy a bass based on a guiatr design with a bigger neck,it almost never works out as a good design...
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I don't think we have any real input on the situation, but be warned. If you get an iceman, sg, or tbird, it WILL be uncomfortable.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Have you actually been down to a music shop and tried out any of the basses there?

It sounds simple but actually playing the instruments you are thinking about can be a big help in deciding.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
you don't like the look of those basses? hah. you do realize that every good bassist who sees you go up with an epiphone will turn and run, expecting a barrage of muddy root notes and posturing? not too mention that Ibanez will poke your leg? I hate those iceman horns, you can't play sitting down. and the dive is also bad. the VM jazz, which you say has all the right parts, can easily be given a new pickguard, with some cool design or something on it, that Peavey is beautiful, and I have yet to find a genre in which the Ibanez GSR200 does not perform passably. looks are important, but looking like an idiot is worse than looking boring, and you are effectively doing the first. let your playing awe people, not your horns. and don't refuse advice. it pisses me off. say, but what about ________ or something.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

what about a schecter stiletto? i like those and they are cool

oh never mind they are pricier in Europe aren't they?
Gah another bass has entered the fray! It's down to:
Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass V Active 5 string
Ibanez ICB200ex
Ibanez AGB 200
Page 1 of 2