I've had this Squire Strat from Fender for about 2 years now and it's my only electric guitar, so recently I started saving up for a new one, but I'm not well educated in guitar purchasing, so I've come to UG for help.

I'm sticking around a 500$ price range, and I just want a guitar that stays in tune and holds up well. I just joined a band a month ago and they've all got Fenders too, so I also want a cool looking one that's not a Fender.

Does UG have any suggestions that would fit my criteria?
Well get a Fender if you really want. Depends on the feel and such.
What kind of music are you playing?
And go research guitars and look up reviews to get an idea, then try them out at Guitar Center. In fact, try ALL the guitars until you find one that suits you.

Fenders are good for blues/rock and some metal
I go for Ibanez though, better for shredding, for me at least. I love mine.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
So what music are you going to play with that guitar and what amp are you using? Also, do you have any preferences when it comes to tremolos, pickups or anything else?
The more information you give us, the better we can help you.
Alright. Personally I like to play blues/classic rock mostly, but my buds really like alternative rock and I'm also into that a lot. I'm not a big fan of shredding, but like the band really likes RHCP and Third Eye Blind.

The point of this guitar is for the band too, I'm fine with the Fender for myself.

And no, I don't really have a preference in tremolos or pickups.
Try the Ibanez SA260 then, it has a high output bridge humbucker (nice for anything rock and metal oriented) and single coils in the middle and neck position which will cover RHCP and similar stuff very well. The tremolo on it is reliable, too.
Overall it's not much different from the Squier, it just has higher output pickups and is made of superior materials. The neck is thinner than on Squiers, but you'll get used to that in no time. They are a common sight, so you should be able to try one out at the nearest guitar center.

Or if you can find one, try the Yamaha Pacifica 412V, it is similar to the SA, but the pickups have a lower output, the tonewoods are different, too. What you like better is a matter of choice, I consider both guitars equal quality wise.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jul 20, 2008,
Well I too am a big fan of RHCP and 3eb so...

I would suggest you look at the Fender Strat and Tele, the Standard MIM ones. Also look at highway one strat/tele. Epiphone LP is another idea. I'd get one of those three. RHCP uses mainly single coils, i've seen strats and teles. 3eb i've seen LPs and Teles. Of course both bands use other stuff too but either one of those three would be a sweet upgrade.
You could go with the best of both worlds and get a strat that is HSS, then have the humbucker pup tapped so you can switch between single coil and humbucker sounds.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
I'd look for something used.

Have a friend who has more experience help you through Pawn shops, local craigslist and local ebay to find yourself a nice bargain.

I suggest:

Carvin
Washburn
Godin

Do a little research before you buy, on any specific model you're not sure about.
So they all have fenders so be different. Get a godin exit 22 HSS guitar and make them cry.