Page 1 of 2
hey,

me and some friends recently started a band,
the bassist absolutely SUCKS.
Like.. he doesn't even HAVE a bass.. he has to borrow one.

So.. we have 3 guitarists..
can this still work?

And are there any successful bands without a bassist and 3 guitarists?
Thanks.
we had the same problem when i was in a band, one of you guys are gonna have to bite the bullet and take up the bass until you can find a new bass player.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by mig-29
one of you guys are gonna have to bite the bullet and take up the bass until you can find a new bass player.

+1

Or you can just scoop the mids on the guitars like crazy and tape quarter to the bass drums, Metallica did that once and completely drowned out the bass.
The white stripes?

A bass isn't NECESSARY... neither is a guitar. Or drums. Or Piano. Or Constantina. Or Harpsichord...

But you can't orchestral music without a ****ing orchestra.

See what I'm saying?
The White Stripes.

And I heard a metal band last February without a bassist, and their sound wasn't missing anything. Granted they tuned down a fair bit.
Quote by roshjosh
The white stripes?

A bass isn't NECESSARY... neither is a guitar. Or drums. Or Piano. Or Constantina. Or Harpsichord...

But you can't orchestral music without a ****ing orchestra.

See what I'm saying?

white stripes arent good, they're too simple
the doors didnt have a bass player.
they would use them sometimes when recording but did not perform with one.
Quote by okitsandrew

+1

Ohh and,

they are all my friends though.. i'm the lead guitarist.. and i don't wanna be the one who tells one of them to leave.. =/
Quote by okitsandrew

i think jack white is one of the most innovative guitarists of our time. just because the songs are simple says nothing about the quality
Quote by exect4500
nile doesn't have a bass player but i don't think you want to emulate them

They did, and Dallas plays bass on the last album.
id say bite the bullet and have one of you play, especially if you're so much better and have a bass yourselfs, 3 guitarist is just too much hot air on one stage
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by okitsandrew

So good music has to be complicated?

That was a very ignorant statement.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
hahahah nobody ever wants to be the bass player. thats why if you can play the bass you always find a job
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by chuckflan333
So good music has to be complicated?

That was a very ignorant statement.

Agreed. Way too many good songs that are simple, and way too many bad songs that are very complicated to even argue that point.
As for the bass, depends on the music, if you detune or play heavy distortion you may not need one. I play in a band that plays cleaner music like the chili peppers, dave matthews, lynyrd skynyrd (yes, were kind of random)...and it sounds weird without the bass, like somethings really missing
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
The bass is a more important instrument than guitar. Bass along with drums is the most important...believe me. 3 guitarists is too much!
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
Quote by Chasing Shadows
Do All That Remains have a bassist?
I'm sure they don't...

and they DO kick ass

lol yes they do
and shes a chick
The Doors
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Quote by okitsandrew

OPINION... maybe

they are popular and jack white is a talented guitarist he just doesnt need to play a million notes a second to get across feelings...yeaaahhh but thats an opinion too

and i do think bass is necessary (muse fan wooo) but you could do similar with a rhythm guitarist. i think..
Oh :P

Arrhh... I'll just get the drummer to kick one out... I don't wanna... they both asked ME if they could join.
yeah yeah yeahs don't have a bassist (although their second guitarist imaad play bass occasionally on some songs live). and they're the best thing that has come from the 'indie' scene ever.
Quote by Chasing Shadows
I'm sure they don't...

and they DO kick ass

Yes, Jeanne Sagan.

Rolling Stones also don't have a regular bass player. They just hire session artists.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
i think bands without guitar players come out better than bands without bass players, unless they're a metal band with 4 guitar players and tune down to drop F#. death from above 1979, absolutly amazing, no guitar player.

so my advice is get rid of your bass player and have one of your guitar players play bass until you find a new bass player.
Quote by Chasing Shadows
I'm sure they don't...

and they DO kick ass

yeah they have one... It's a girl that joined the band recently
Try working with the bassist after a couple of months he should be able to at least play straight 8th/16th root notes in time and eventually he might be decent.
Wait so.. if i keep the bassist... and teach him some stuff..

when hes good enough...

will 3 guitarists AND a bassist work?
the bassist probably doesnt suck hes probably just a stuck up asshole that wants to be 'different' and have no bassist just so people will like their gimmick or some **** cause they have no musical talent
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by ash_attack
the bassist probably doesnt suck hes probably just a stuck up asshole that wants to be 'different' and have no bassist just so people will like their gimmick or some **** cause they have no musical talent

no no..
he really does suck.

Like... Okay heres a demonstration..
Top of the Suck-O-Meter

HIM

US :]

GOOD
Last edited by Chasing Shadows at Jul 20, 2008,
White Stripes, Black Keys, and the grindcore band Pig Desroyer (i think) dont have bass players. One of you guys could pick up an EHX octave pedal and use the octave down feature to kinda emulate a bass for awhile.

EDIT: Yea, 3 guitarists and a bassist will work, like in Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, even tho they normally dont have 3 different guitar parts at once.
I would never reccomend being without a bassist. I will reccomend someone that isnt good enough on guitar to play bass or GTFO. Or if the singer f.ex plays guitar he could play bass instead. Or then just get a decent bass player!!!
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!