Okay lately I've been thinking of getting this guitar as soon as possible. I'm still rather intermediate, and I only own one guitar and one amp, so I still don't quite know what is a good guitar, etc(not experienced at buying). In fact, they only few guitars I tried were my own, my friend's and occasional tries at guitar shops. I've been playing for about 5 years(quitted a lot, but now I'm more motivated then ever).

The only problem I encounter is that both of my current guitar and amp are pretty bad. The guitar is an Ibanez gax70, which I bought from a friend because I just wanted my first electric guitar. I've never really had the love for it, as it was just the only one I could get from a friend, and for cheap. I reach a few problems with it, including playing above 20th fret, neck-diving, and a body I feel kinda heavy. I've had it for a good 4 years or so now, but I haven't gave it the care I should have. My amp is a crap MG15w. I'm realising I heard very bad comments about both of these. My friend who used to own a gax70 aswell said himself the guitar was crap, now he's playing a Jackson RR3(I think that's one, the 1200$~ one), and he says he's loving it. He's telling me to get one and to get a new cheaper amp aswell(something like a line 6 spider 30w).

Thing is, I'm pretty sure that getting a costier amp then guitar is always a better solution(at least from what I read on UG). So there's pretty much two choices for me. I would get a Alexi600 with a cheaper amp, something like a roland cube 30w, which I heard is a pretty good amp for the sound I want(melodeath/other metal). But thinking about it, would it give me a better sound to get a Alexi200 with a costier amp(something like the Alexi600's price)? What I'll do in the end is get the guitar first, and get the amp shortly after(weeks/few months).

Finally, I'd have to say I love the Alexi600. Haven't tried it yet, but I really would enjoy the higher fret access, and being able to play up to 24th fret. I'm also tired to have a fugly guitar(and a crap one). I've been wanting a V for a year or so now, and I did some researchs. A lot will say looks don't matter, but when you switch from a crap guitar to a very nice one, it does make a difference. And in the first place, the Ibanez I have isn't what you'd call good. In other words, it's a beginner guitar.

Any helpful feedback is much appreciated
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

i've heard pretty good things about most of the alexi models but do not buy the spider. please, whatever you do- don't buy that amp. there are many better amps for that price. i dont have the time to sit here and list them all, browse the internet. if you find one you might like, go to the store and try it.
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Peavey 5150 120 watt combo (considering sale)
I would recommend an RR24 over the Alexi, it just looks better IMO since specs-wise they're both the same except the pickups. About the amp, if you really need a guitar badly, then get the RR24/Alexi 600 and get the Cube. Its a decent enough amp. But to get the full potential out of either of those axes, you should start saving up for a good tube amp sooner or latter.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
I don't like to own signature models.

However, I did go into a local shop and play that alexi model.
I didnt think it would be good because its a Sig and uni-pup.

Let me tell you man...that was one sweet guitar. It's aimed at
the metal and hard rock players but it can do anything. It's well
balanced plays effortlessly. Even though I don't like Sigs I can
not flame this guitar. It's effin awesome.

I would honestly go with a Jackson instead. Get a guitar with two
humbuckers and a floyd rose so you won't be so limited in tone.
If you are willing to pay $1100 for a guitar...just get the
Jackson KVX10 X King V..and upgrade to some active pups.
You still got money to burn. You may even be able to get away
with a bolt on neck if u need to..that will save you even more..
Strat players have had ungodly sustain in the past with bolt-ons..

That bolt-on with upgraded active pups will leave you enough
to get a good used 100 watt tube 212 combo...
Go to a dealer with a good reputation. Mom and Pop type music
stores where the older blues guys do business are usually some
places where u will come across amps that you never thought you
would ever actually see in person..and they are affordable.
Let the other guys waste their money at stores with big
bright neon signs...lol
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jul 20, 2008,
I forgot to add, I don't gig or jam, so a 100w amp isn't really what I'd want
. It's a practice amp that I'll use in my room.

About the guitar, a Jackson was definatly the second choice I had in mind. Thing is, there's something about Alexi's that appeals me. Both the higher fret access and look appeal to me more. The ones I came accross are also cheaper by a tad bit from the RR24's, which is always a plus(can be used to get a slightly better amp), judging by the fact the only difference between the guitars is the pick-up or so. I also thought that since it's my second guitar, it most likely won't be my last. Upgrading the pick-up can also be an alternative later on. Basicly, without having tried them, the Alexi600 seems like the best idea. I also admit that the Jackson RR's interest me a lot, so there's high chances of one being my next guitar(after the Alexi).

Concerning the neck pick-up, it really doesn't bother me. I barely use it right now on my Ibanez, so it wouldn't be a big loss. The deal is that I want a second guitar that won't be my last, but that will still be a very good one I love. And since I mostly play melodeath, this guitar is a good choice.

Edit: My plan was to order from zzounds.com, since there's a rather nice discount on it. I'm just wondering tho, do you just pay the main price and the shipping listed on the site, or is there extra cost?

When I receive it, I'll bring it at a store, try a cube and others and buy one.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 20, 2008,
Okay after further reading and getting more infos, I'm getting more convinced about the Alexi600. I'm just still wondering what's the best sound; Alexi600 with a Roland Cube 30w or a Alexi200 with a costier amp(something near the A600's price). In the end it's 100% sure that I'm getting both a new amp and guitar.

Like I said I do need a new guitar, since I've had this GAX70 for about 4 years now, and I never bothered taking care of it. Not that I intentionnally mistreated it, but I just forgot about it for a while and didn't bother even picking it up. Since I'm aware my next guitar will not be my last, if the A200/good amp set up is better sounding, it would be the best idea.

Edit: Oh and my current guitar is a bolt-on neck... I don't see it like a problem, altho the high frets are hard to reach, but that might not have to do with it. If the difference is just the metal plate in the back, I don't see it as a problem.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 21, 2008,
Well, if you're set on getting a better amp first, why go for the Alexi 200? There are better guitars out there for that price.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Quote by fatboythin
Well, if you're set on getting a better amp first, why go for the Alexi 200? There are better guitars out there for that price.

Well, it's not I'm motivated into a better amp, I just figured that since people say the amp is the important thing, the A200/good amp setup could be better.

Right now I'll probly just end up getting a 600 with a cube 30w or something a bit better. The V shape, good high fret access, 24 frets and tremolo are what I'd want on a guitar, and this guitar has it all, including a look I love(more then the Jacksons in my opinion).

Oh and I think I forgot to mention I don't gig or jam, so I don't need "the" amp.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

spike - being a former Alexi-600 guitar owner I can offer you an unbiased opinion. Here is what I currently own:

Epi LP Goldtop (57 Re-issue)
Epi LP Quill Top (gibson pickups installed by me)
Epi Flying V Goth (EMG 81/85 installed by me)
Ibanez RG
Crate GX212

The alexi is very well balanced, the alder body helps with area and keeps the guitar balanced and straight with the shoulder strap on. Make sure when you get one to have a guitar tech do a quick check on the setup to make sure it's how you want it. Honestly, ESP had the guitar set up very very well. If you want, put a coat of car wax on the body to keep it protected somewhat and looking new. The guitar plays fast, plays well, and sounds well. The passive pickup is somewhat to get used to but now the new ones come with a seymour duncan active which sounds awesome. If you can get a used or new one for a good price then jump on it.

As far as amps, I have played lots at various stores and if you want a real good solid state amp (if that's all you can afford) then get the crate gx212. Great amp that sounds good, sounds clear at all levels.
I've made a further researches, in fact, I checked out a bunch of model. I decided to lower the funds for the guitar, and get a better amp then I had in mind.

I think if the fund wasn't a problem, I'd get a RR24, but I've checked other Jacksons and they're interesting. I think my choice right now would be a DKMG. It's not a V, but it's a very versatile body(sitting, standing up, on a bed), it has EMG81/85's which I heard are really good. It also has 24 frets, a tremolo, and from what I've heard it stays in tune pretty good. I've only heard good comments about it. My V choice would be the RR3 probably, but I haven't tried any yet. I'm gonna wait til I try them out at stores, and find out the one that suits me.

As for the Alexi's, I find out the RR body is much better. At least, in my opinion. I've also heard that the Alexi200(since I decided to invest more in an amp) neck dives, which is a -1. My current GAX70 neckdives a LOT and it's preventing me from playing up.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 31, 2008,
I have an Alexi-600 and I love it, I'm not even into signature models or even COB(I like them but I'm not THAT into them). Due to your current situation, I think buying a 1200 guitar and playing it through a cheap amp wouldn't be the best way to spend your money.

What is the total amount of money you are looking to spend?
What music do you want to play(I assume metal but if there is anything else you should mention it)?

I do think a nice Jackson DKMG plus a new amp will last you for a very long time.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
dont get an alexi 200, theyre not very good at all

also, if you dont really know what you want in a guitar yet then i wouldnt suggest getting a guitar with a floyd rose. they can be a real hassle if you dont know what your doing. although if you think its something that your want then go for it. jsut make sure you get it set up properly
Last edited by necroscience13 at Jul 31, 2008,
Quote by necroscience13
dont get an alexi 200, theyre not very good at all

also, if you dont really know what you want in a guitar yet then i wouldnt suggest getting a guitar with a floyd rose. they can be a real hassle if you dont know what your doing. although if you think its something that your want then go for it. jsut make sure you get it set up properly

Yeah well the Alexi is no longer in my main choices really, but I'll definatly try them and see for myself.

About the floyd rose, I heard so much about it, I know it can be trouble and all but I'm willing to take the trouble that comes with it.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by thefrigginbob
I have an Alexi-600 and I love it, I'm not even into signature models or even COB(I like them but I'm not THAT into them). Due to your current situation, I think buying a 1200 guitar and playing it through a cheap amp wouldn't be the best way to spend your money.

What is the total amount of money you are looking to spend?
What music do you want to play(I assume metal but if there is anything else you should mention it)?

I do think a nice Jackson DKMG plus a new amp will last you for a very long time.

Estimating the DKMG's price at 800 CAD, I'd pay around the same or a little less for the amp.

I do play metal most of the time. The neck pick-up isn't really bothering me, but since the DKMG has one, well it's just a plus.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Well, The jackson is a great guitar. I currently own its little brother and I love the feel and playability . Thats a solid guitar that will probably last you as long as you play guitar.

As for the amp I would recommend the B-52 AT-112

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046

Then grab a tubescreamer pedal to tighten up the sound. That is a really nice little amp for the price, its even a little under you budget.

You can also look into Bugera(personally haven't tried them but people on here are liking them), Peavey Valveking, a used 6505 combo(if you are lucky or stretch your budget a bit) but I like the b-52 for the price.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪