Page 1 of 2
well im looking for an amp to gig and its generally small to medium venues
what kind of wattage in the head and cabinet am i gonna need (solid state and tube cuz they are different)
will there be a PA system for you to run through as well? if so, you wont need as big of an amp.
Tube - 30 watts would be an ideal amount, loud enough but still with enough headroom.
Not sure for SS cus generally u dont wanna turn them up too much either as they get worse the louder they are as opposed to tubes which get better generally.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
ive been told for single state 60 watts is fine for most venues, and as i said, if theres a PA system to run through, you dont really need to worry anyway.
theres a chance i might be hooking up to a pa sysyem but i dont want to have to though
and i was lookin at amps that say 100 watts and the head is tube but thwe cabinet isnt, how would that work
What do you mean?
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
what do i mean about the head being tube driven and the cabinet not or the not wanting to have to hook up to a pa system?
head and cab thing, cus cabs dont need tubes, the tubes amplify the sound, the cab is essentially just a speaker in a box.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
30 to 50 watts is all you would ever need, that only depending on how much clean head room you need.

No cabs have tubes to my knowledge. Cabs have speakers in them Amp heads are the "amp" and have the tubes in them. Welcome.
i saw the other day at the music place in town said the the pre amp was tube driven and that the cabinet (i guess was a power amp and i dont know why they had a head on one was solid state)
i think those people a re just dumbasses
im pretty sure i dont plan on playing clean
what im playing with is a dean mlx and i got a line 6 uber metal
yesterday in the forums i tryed to find out the best brands and from what i got the best way to go were tube amps, and the companys marshall, randall, peavey, or crate
so im lookin into half stacks, i just need to know a w2hats good wattage
id like to be at a good volume without having to turn it all the way up
Quote by Deth is iminent
i saw the other day at the music place in town said the the pre amp was tube driven and that the cabinet (i guess was a power amp and i dont know why they had a head on one was solid state)
i don't think "those people" are the problem.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Well as I said 30 should be ideal then
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by gregs1020
30 to 50 watts is all you would ever need, that only depending on how much clean head room you need.

agreed. however, what type of music do you play? not all amps are available in all wattages, and it'd be daft to overlook the perfect amp for you if it happened to be, say, 10 watts over your arbitrary limit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
all you need is a 30-50 watt tube combo. and you definitely do not need a half stack.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
yeah, i mean, if you play metal, getting the exact wattage is a little less important. a lot of metal players like the tone of a 100 watt amp, even if they can't turn it up all the way.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i mean, if you play metal, getting the exact wattage is a little less important. a lot of metal players like the tone of a 100 watt amp, even if they can't turn it up all the way.

yeah thats what i mean and thats why im looking into a half stack or a combo amp
what's your budget?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed. however, what type of music do you play?

Yep that should have been my question... I smell a Laney coming once we get a budget! ;-)
had to take me sick dad around town, if anyones still around, doubt it, my budget will be up to about 500 to 700 at the very most and i need 2 of the same amps for my rythem bro to
jeepers, 2 amps for $700? that's pushing it to be honest... maybe a peavey valveking combo. you might be struggling to even get two of those for $700 though. you might have to go used. EDIT: though if you're willing to go solid state, maybe a roland cube 60, or some of those SS randalls (i haven't tried the randalls though)?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Deth is iminent

The cabinet only has speakers it isn't SS or TUBE.

don't call people dumbasses if you don't know what your talking about
GEAR worth mentioning
GUITAR: XPT700 SOON AGILE INTERCEPTORPRO725
AMP: TRAYNOR YCV50BLUE
EFFECTS: BOSS ME-50 | MXR-109 6-Band Graphic EQ
Quote by char_107
The cabinet only has speakers it isn't SS or TUBE.

don't call people dumbasses if you don't know what your talking about

**** you man i ws saying what the dumbasses, and they are among other things, were telling me
Quote by Deth is iminent
500-700 for 1
and the n i need to get 2 of them

oh ok! you could maybe get a peavey 5150/6505 or xxx second hand for that. Or a mesa f50. If you're getting two, i probably wouldn't get two of the exact same amp, for a bit of variation. maybe get a 5150 and a xxx, or a 5150 and a mesa f-series.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh ok! you could maybe get a peavey 5150/6505 or xxx second hand for that. Or a mesa f50. If you're getting two, i probably wouldn't get two of the exact same amp, for a bit of variation. maybe get a 5150 and a xxx, or a 5150 and a mesa f-series.[/QUOTE

we wanted them to be alike except for he [rythem] just use his neck pickup
are you sure that's sensible? i mean, you can do what you like, but having two slightly different tones might sound thicker. all of those amps are easily capable of metal, they'll just sound slightly different.

it is up to you, of course. if you both try them all and both like the same amp best, then i guess it makes more sense to get the same amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
50 to 100 watts should do just fine...

Just buy something with a good clean sound with about that wattage. If you're using the Uber Metal for distortion, just get a solid state amp with a good clean channel like a Fender
fender is a definite hell no
never ever ever will i buy anything from them, or gibson
cuz gibson and fender ****in suck ass
i mean the gibson brand les paul is the most bought, but also the
most flawed guitar around
thanx for the help though
No offense, but don't go by how others use their amps. I was using Fender amps for the longest time and would blow Mesa's out of the water with my rig. But then again, it's more of how you are as a player, than your rig

Try a JC 120 if you don't like Fender
I will probably catch a lot of **** for this but if you're looking for an amp thats great for metal then try to find a couple of Randall RG100s... they will have to be used of course because they don't make them anymore so I would say check ebay.
Quote by Deth is iminent
yeah, thanx ill do that
ill take your advice and just try a ****load of them

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Deth is iminent
fender is a definite hell no
never ever ever will i buy anything from them, or gibson
cuz gibson and fender ****in suck ass
i mean the gibson brand les paul is the most bought, but also the
most flawed guitar around
thanx for the help though

hahahaah are you kidding? fender and gibson are the two most prominent electric guitar company's... if they suck so bad why do millions of people use them. including thousands of professional artists who have access to any company they want.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
well I agree with the guy who said 30 to 50 watt. but do you play with a drummer because if you do you might wonna go more in the 50 watt direction. However with a tube 30 watt would be more than suitable.
Quote by danyellenik
hahahaah are you kidding? fender and gibson are the two most prominent electric guitar company's... if they suck so bad why do millions of people use them. including thousands of professional artists who have access to any company they want.

the general public buys them because of the name, thye fact that everyone else says they are the best, and the status icons
and the pros use them cuz they get paid to endorse that crap
without slash (****in sucks) and other cliche bands and artists, gibson would would crash and burn
like i said before, the les paul is the most flawed guitar in existince, even the epiphone and cheap copys are made better than the gibson kind
gibson wonty change it because that means they would admit its flawed design
out of all guitars the les paul neck breaks the most so **** off you dumb sonofabitch
Page 1 of 2