Page 1 of 2
I realized that the Pit reads a lot more than I thought (apart from Cobain_is_king who openly admits he cannot read )
so, why not take recommendations and ask for new ones in the Pit?

So how this works? I guess we can recommend certain people certain books, depending on what they are reading now, or what they are interested in.

I like adventure, and some science fiction. I'm a slow reader, but does anyone have any recommendations?
Your dreams are all out of focus;
Knock you up when you're feeling down.
And all the world feels so unreal...

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
Last edited by Teen Spirit at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by blackflag49
fight club
stephen king
catch-22
brave new world
slash's autobiography

this is pretty much the only crap ever mentioned in the average reading thread on this site..
yep.

and there's already a "literature" thread anyway..
Last edited by blackflag49 at Jul 20, 2008,
Lee Child's books are great, start with the first one (Killing Floor) and work through them!
Quote by blackflag49
yep.

and there's already a "literature" thread anyway..

?
searchbar has no literature thread or books thread

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
Slaughterhouse 5 and Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut. (the man was a genius)
I highly recommend Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas! I just finished and it is amazing
bernard cornwell.

read the Warlord Chronicles (The Winter King, Enemy Of God, Excalibur)

they really are excellent.
"Their eyes, black in kingdoms of gold, like the rocks of this desert, where we wander in circles, tails up the ass of time..."
Lust lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher moore
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
i blog about the books i read, so check out my blogs. I read bios on artists mostly, but the odd famous actor and celeb. I also read a ton of history/informational books. Great thread idea, terrific!
音乐是生活
Music is Life

Ibanez RG2550Z, Edwards Jimmy Page LP Relic Custom, 06 Fender Clapton SS, Line6 Spider III 112, Peavey Classic 30, Boss HD-1, Boss Green Label Chorus, Boss SD1 Overdrive, MXR Fuzz, Blues Breaker
This has been done.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Quote by blackflag49

oh okay, sorry i must've missed out on it when i searched.

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
The Dresden Files, awesome books .
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
I enjoy books about rock stars and what not, although, not necessarily autobiographies of rock stars. I read the book Espedair Street by Ian Banks and enjoyed it greatly, so if anyone knows of any similar books to that I'd love to know...
Zombie Survival Guide By Max Brookes.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
on the road-jack kerouac
just read it,tis immense
Quote by Mike!
This man IS the truth.

Quote by aznmetalhead93
Walk out naked with a sock around your dick. He'll be so surprised he won't shoot you. Then rape him. Hard. With melted butter as lube.

Join the Xbox Live group
Quote by CrazyDavey
I enjoy books about rock stars and what not, although, not necessarily autobiographies of rock stars. I read the book Espedair Street by Ian Banks and enjoyed it greatly, so if anyone knows of any similar books to that I'd love to know...

I've wondered about Eric Clapton's autobiography, and also I've read Heavier than Heaven, read it if you enjoy Nirvana or grunge.
also, I haven't read slash's thingy, dunno if its good.

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
i'll suggest the Dark Tower series by stephen king. best books i've ever read, hands down. oh, and Angela's Ashes. the fact that its all a true story blows me away.
Originally Posted by jimbo09
"yeah man, i swallow and then **** out all my picks, it gives u really good tone, i swear"

Originally Posted by Union Jake

Long story short, 10 minutes later we were all sat there jerking off.
Quote by Teen Spirit
I've wondered about Eric Clapton's autobiography, and also I've read Heavier than Heaven, read it if you enjoy Nirvana or grunge.
also, I haven't read slash's thingy, dunno if its good.

claptons biographys pretty good,nothing outstanding but well worth the read
Quote by Mike!
This man IS the truth.

Quote by aznmetalhead93
Walk out naked with a sock around your dick. He'll be so surprised he won't shoot you. Then rape him. Hard. With melted butter as lube.

Join the Xbox Live group
anyone know about slash's bio?

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Quote by alex-led-zepp91
on the road-jack kerouac
just read it,tis immense

I thought Dharma Bums was much better.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by Teen Spirit
anyone know about slash's bio?

It's alright. Very very gritty and dirty. Not the best book out there but if the story of Slash and Guns N Roses interests you you'll like it.
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
Heavier than heaven is one of my favorites. Anyone else read it?

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Anyone read any Orson Scott Card? I read Seventh Son a few years ago along with Ender's Game and loved 'em. Right now I'm reading Empire by Orson Scott Card, it's pretty interesting.

Also, if anyone is looking for some funny books check out Side Effects and Getting Even by Woody Allen. Both are very funny.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
I read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams a year ago, very, very funny and entertaining.

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Quote by slidething31
I thought Dharma Bums was much better.

hmmm haven't read that yet,might check it out,thanks
Quote by Mike!
This man IS the truth.

Quote by aznmetalhead93

Join the Xbox Live group
Quote by Teen Spirit
I read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams a year ago, very, very funny and entertaining.

**high five** Douglas Adams is awesome. If you like science fiction I got two names for you: Frank Herbert and Robert Heinlein. There are many more but I gotta keep it simple or risk ranting. Heinlein's books are usually pretty short and quick to read through, and very stimulating. Herbert's are usually really long but definitely worth the read, he brought literary greatness to science fiction and his series Dune is widely considered the only rival to the supremacy of Lord of the Rings in the science fiction/fantasy field.

EDIT: And I'm currently reading F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Beautiful and Damned". Goddamn that guy could write. Its like a poem in novel form.
Last edited by Dionietzsche at Jul 20, 2008,
^ No problem man. I've read a bunch a Kerouac. Desolation Angels, and Big Sur were both very good as well.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by Dionietzsche
**high five** Douglas Adams is awesome. If you like science fiction I got two names for you: Frank Herbert and Robert Heinlein. There are many more but I gotta keep it simple or risk ranting. Heinlein's books are usually pretty short and quick to read through, and very stimulating. Herbert's are usually really long but definitely worth the read, he brought literary greatness to science fiction and his series Dune is widely considered the only rival to the supremacy of Lord of the Rings in the science fiction/fantasy field.

alrite thanks man, that's something to check out
also, apart from Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker series, have you read the Dirk Gently books?

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
^^Love em! "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."
And I love the way that everything hangs together so impeccably, especially in the first one.
Quote by slidething31
^ No problem man. I've read a bunch a Kerouac. Desolation Angels, and Big Sur were both very good as well.

haven't heard of any of these,i just read the back of a book,pick something it recommends and read it next but i'll definitely be gettin these
Quote by Mike!
This man IS the truth.

Quote by aznmetalhead93

Join the Xbox Live group
Quote by Dionietzsche
^^Love em! "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."
And I love the way that everything hangs together so impeccably, especially in the first one.

I knowwwwwwwww man, it's impossible, that guy was a genious..... too bad he died, have you read The Salmon Of Doubt? sorta like a collection of random works he did.....

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
yeah man, I was disappointed that he died before he could be a big part of making the Hitchhiker's movie. It was alright if you ask me but would have been so much better had he been there for it.

Haven't read Salmon of Doubt. I'm afraid the incompleteness of it will drive me mad with speculation. It was supposed to be a Dirk Gently novel, right?
I recommend the book "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell and "This is your brain on music" by Daniel J. Levitin. Both very good books.

I bought Eric Clapton and Anthony Keitis' autobiography with those but havn't gotten to reading them yet.
FIJI
Quote by Dionietzsche
yeah man, I was disappointed that he died before he could be a big part of making the Hitchhiker's movie. It was alright if you ask me but would have been so much better had he been there for it.

Haven't read Salmon of Doubt. I'm afraid the incompleteness of it will drive me mad with speculation. It was supposed to be a Dirk Gently novel, right?

well its divided into 3 parts, 2 of the 3 are great, they're just like short stories/memories/diaries that he made, but the last part is the continuation of the Gently novel, i went crazy when it ended right where the good parts began but the first 2 sections are well worth the read.

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Quote by Teen Spirit
well its divided into 3 parts, 2 of the 3 are great, they're just like short stories/memories/diaries that he made, but the last part is the continuation of the Gently novel, i went crazy when it ended right where the good parts began but the first 2 sections are well worth the read.

Short stories? I've never read any shorts by him, I bet they are awesome! You've convinced me to pick it up next time I see it.
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

The Idiot

Crime and Punishment

The Brothers Karamazov

Animal Farm

Hard Times

Don Quixote

I am America (and So can You!)
Page 1 of 2