I've been playing bass since 'jan now, and i've got a bit of spare cash lying around. Thinking of getting a pedal, but can you give any advice as to which ones are essential/decent/epic-sounding and as to the price?

Thanks.
It depends what you want. I wouldn't get an effects pedal just so I had an effects pedal.

But anyway, for a cheap, but good pedal, I'd recommend the Electroharmonix Big Muff.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
An overdrive pedal is normally the first effect a bassist would get, but it depends on what sound you are after. What genre of music do you play?
An overdrive pedal would be good for a rock situation, but for something like funk you might want to get a phaser.

Also, what gear do you have? It might be better for you to just save your money and get a better amp/bass in the future.

x

EDIT: oh and ignore the guitarist, the big muff is a guitar pedal, and can only really be used well on bass if you bi-amp your signal.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
^^ I've got an ibanez BTB200 and Roland 30 amp, it'll do me for quite a while still.

I'm into funk/rock -esque stuff. RHCP, Primus, RATM, Incubus etc.

Any pricing ideas?
chorus is usually a nice place to start, good bass fuzz pedals are pretty expensive
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Maybe you should get a multi-effects pedal to start messing around with. The Boss ME-20B is really good.
not to plug my gear ad but i have a zoom b2 multi effects pedal for sale, £25 shipped, its got all your basic effects
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
not to plug my gear ad but i have a zoom b2 multi effects pedal for sale, £25 shipped, its got all your basic effects

And you live in Liverpool, you say? I'll have to consider that!
im afraid im home from uni at the moment so im up in scotland, but still, 25 shipped
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
paypal for the win my friend

EDIT: or a wire transfer but i forget what part of my bank details you need
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Last edited by CaptainJack666 at Jul 20, 2008,
I waited 5 years to get my first pedal. It gave me more time to understand the Bass's true sounds, without being put through a pedal. I find playing bass without a pedal more fun, and sounds like the bass should sound. Although, pedals can add the tone you wish to have.
DB Player
I just got an Ibanez Synth pedal, its cool, but now that I have it, I don't know what I'm going to use it for, I like clean tones. But the auto-wah is pretty handy so I'd suggest looking at wah pedal.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
If you like funk, you should get a wah or envelope filter (auto wah).

The one by DOD is quite popular and Flea from RHCP used it before. It costs 50 dollars.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
from what ive heard on here, check out the ashdown hyperdrive for overdrive, distortion effects. i think the humanity has a clip of it on his profile.
also if you like punk, get a phaser or a envelope filter for some funky sounds.
I'd go for a phaser, chorus or envelope filter. Envelope filters are pretty fun to play around with and can sound really good on a percussive bass solo.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
sorry i meant chemicalfire in my previouis post. hes got a clip of what a ashdown hyperdrive sounds like.
i use a boss MT2 for distortion tones, its a guitar FX pedal but you dont lose too much lows on it.