I got some pickups (humbuckers, from irongear)and while i like their sound, there is annoying feedback on higher gain.

But bear in mind, that i dont use death metal amount of gain, it's more like shred level. And feedback is not the one you get from overtones, but a shrill very high noise that doesn't change it's pitch when i use my whammy bar, and it gets even noisier when i hold my hand very close to the pickup. With the 'usual' feedback i dont have problems.

I use peavey classic 30 and fulltone ocd, of which i'm almost sure they dont cause this, because i tried it on my other amp and feedback also occured.

What can I do about this?
wire them properly.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
grounded improperly? (although usually its a buzz or hum, not feedback)
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
its most likely to be a hum comming from the pickups cause theyre either not grounded, or you have used the wrong type of cable inside.

it might also be worth sheilding the inside of your guitar if you havent already.

if the problem persists get an amp/guitar tech to take a look at it, but im sure its the wiring
theres loads of schematics on thw web if your stuck
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by Cobe
I got some pickups (humbuckers, from irongear)and while i like their sound, there is annoying feedback on higher gain.

But bear in mind, that i dont use death metal amount of gain, it's more like shred level. And feedback is not the one you get from overtones, but a shrill very high noise that doesn't change it's pitch when i use my whammy bar, and it gets even noisier when i hold my hand very close to the pickup. With the 'usual' feedback i dont have problems.

I use peavey classic 30 and fulltone ocd, of which i'm almost sure they dont cause this, because i tried it on my other amp and feedback also occured.

What can I do about this?
the symptoms sound like microphonics.
possible solutions:
  • use less gain/volume
  • move farther away from the amp
  • turn down the treble, turn off the brightness switch
  • dial down the tone control on your guitar
  • make sure the pickups are mounted securely.
  • if you have a steel pickguard, get rid of it. use plastic instead.
  • pot the pickups in wax
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.