Poll: Do you class yourself as being open-minded when it comes to music?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you class yourself as being open-minded when it comes to music?
Yes, I think I am.
104 85%
No, I only like one or two genres.
18 15%
Voters: 122.
Page 1 of 2
Open minded in a way that you listen to almost anything...
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
I try to be open-minded. I respect all (good) music, but usually just listen to Rock and stuff. What pisses me off is when someone plays music from a band that clearly puts very little effort in to their music, and when I say I don't like it, I'm a 'closeminded musician'. :-/
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Yes, I'd like to think I'd listen to most kinds of music without being biased.

I love quite a big range of music, from thrash metal to jazz.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
Music is subjective, therefore this question is invalid.
I like both types of music
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
i consider myself to be the type who listens to all types of music.

but i still have the main genres that i listen to, you know, the couple that might be your favorite.

im pretty sure everyone is like that.
ADD

Check out my self-recorded demos on my profile!!! C4C

Separation is an illusion.
Yeah, I'd like to think I listen to most stuff. Been getting into the real old blues lately, and before that I had a jazz-splosion where I was really getting into that... I'm mainly a rock fan, but I will listen to most types of music, dance, electronica, pop, and so on.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by DIV ON!
In a sense listen to every kind of Metal really

So diverse.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
I usually listen to Rock and Punk and Pop music... I don't really listen to other music, but when I hear it, it still sounds nice - its not like I hate it.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
Yeah, i'll give anything a try. I just tend to enjoy rock music the most.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
For most genres, yes. If someone told me they listened to some good rap song on MTV I would expect to hate the song, other than that I give all music a chance.
Quote by fob12
Him -"Hey, give me a high five!"
Her -"hahaha why? *high fives*"
Him - "Because I just dumped you for the lulz!"
Her -"... what?"
Him -"*runs away*"

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
killswitch engage has some dissonant riffs, they're kind grindcore tho

I am open minded to the poin that i will give everything a chance... im not gonna say that i acitively listen to all genres, because i dont, but i wouldn disregard something because of its genre either. Esp these days when genre differentiation is as cloudy as........... a cloud
Quote by BobSlay
Well atleast im honest....

Not quite 1 or 2 genres, but y'know...

Same here.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I'm open minded when it comes to listening to it, but what I'm far more discriminating with regards to what I'll pay for.
Not really that open minded, i don't hate any music, i just don't enjoy tons of different types music.
But really i bet most of the people who said they were open minded really aren't.
I'm open-minded, that doesn't mean I can't hate music too. I listen to everything, and try to find good in it, but sometimes the music just sucks. Bright Eyes has good (meaningful, not just catchy) lyrics, Stanley Jordan does incredible 2 guitar playing, Danger Mouse makes some good beats (dawg), Alexi Laiho can play like a beast (I don't like to listen to CoB but it's refreshing to hear technicality sometimes). Being open-minded doesn't mean you listen to everything and love it, that means I could belch and smack my cat with a lamp, then record it and put it on a CD and demand that everyone has to like it.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Panasonic SX-KC211 Keyboard
BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah (Fixed!)
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
Tascam DP-01FX Digital Recorder
And I define open minded as listening to something at least once before giving up on it. You don't have to like the music, as long as you give it a chance.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
i try to make a very conscious choice on listen to music i am not into head over feet. especially the big names, like i have never really listen to Malmsteen so i did and i really like most of it!
音乐是生活
Music is Life

Ibanez RG2550Z, Edwards Jimmy Page LP Relic Custom, 06 Fender Clapton SS, Line6 Spider III 112, Peavey Classic 30, Boss HD-1, Boss Green Label Chorus, Boss SD1 Overdrive, MXR Fuzz, Blues Breaker
Quote by Steve The Plank
Yes, but who gives a ****?

Iunno, I was just thinking I am pretty open-minded about music, so I decided to ask UG, get a bunch of smart arses like your good self answering, and just seeing how I compare to the rest of UG
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
I'm open-minded, that doesn't mean I can't hate music too. I listen to everything, and try to find good in it, but sometimes the music just sucks. Bright Eyes has good (meaningful, not just catchy) lyrics, Stanley Jordan does incredible 2 guitar playing, Danger Mouse makes some good beats (dawg), Alexi Laiho can play like a beast (I don't like to listen to CoB but it's refreshing to hear technicality sometimes). Being open-minded doesn't mean you listen to everything and love it, that means I could belch and smack my cat with a lamp, then record it and put it on a CD and demand that everyone has to like it.

Like i said people who said they are open minded really aren't.
You don't have to enjoy all music, but at least realize it's all opinion and that there is no good or bad music.
When I was younger, I went through a rap phase, and a few years ago I went through a rock phase, and last year I went through a classic rock phase, but it's safe to say I'm quite open-minded nowadays. I'll listen to everything from classical to blues to jazz to classic rock to modern rock. I don't usually actively listen to a whole lot of rap, but that's not to say I won't give it a chance, because I will.

Of course, whether or not I like everything from a specific genre is irrelevant. There is certain acts I like and certain ones I dislike in every genre.
SAVE THE JAZZ

"Remember, there are two kinds of people in the world:
People who finish things, and"
I do think I am open minded but also have a tendency to be a musical snob at times.
Quote by fob12
Music is subjective, therefore this question is invalid.

Not sure that really works somehow.

And on topic, I listen to pretty much everything. So yea, I like to think I'm open minded...
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
No I'm not. I don't give anything cheesy (i.e. DragonForce) a chance. Cheesy lyrics, image or sound don't really appeal to me.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
I can listen to almost anything unless it´s popular music(such as:Fergie,50cent etc,etc).

My friend however can almost only listen to rock and refuses to listen to music thats made by "Wierd" musicians. Wjen tried to introduce him to Buckethead he covered his because quote: He looks like a fag. Then when i showed him Spokes on the wheel of torment by Buckethead withot telling him who made he loved it then asked me who made it. I replied Buckethead and then he said it sucked.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

I can listen to pretty much anything, but my favorite genres are the various forms of metal and pop punk.
Metal is definately my favourite genre, but yeah I like Classical, Rap and Indie too... So yeah, I'm open-minded.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Demoralising women is just one of the many services we provide here at UG
I don't think there is such a thing as being "openminded" when it comes to listening to music. You can like one genre, two or even all of them but it's not because you're oh-so-tolerant.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Page 1 of 2