Lately I've been wanting to subscribe to a guitar magazine. I've been playing for a couple of years. I read an issue of Guitar Player all about Jimi Hendrix and enjoyed it. What do you guys recommend?
Yeah, i'd also have to say total guitar. It's a good magazine. It usually covers a variety of styles and/or genres, aswell as having guest lessons. Comes with a CD/DVD of backing tracks, aswell.
total guitar FTW.

i recently subscribed lol.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
I like TG but also Guitarist

However, for learning stuff id go for TG. Guitarist is predominantly reviews of gear and articles/interviews about/with artists.
Don't waste your money.

I personally wouldnt subscribe to a magazine like that, Id just buy it if it has something interesting in it.

But as magazines go, Guitar Techniques is a better mag if you want to improve your ability. They don't do as many interviews or song transcriptions as TG, but the lessons for different genres and techniques are excellent.

However if you're happy with the way Total Guitar is in terms of format and content, subscribe away!
British:
Guitar Techniques
well really that's the only British guitar mag I like, Total Guitar is ok sometimes, but not worth the price IMO (at least not here in the states)
American:
Guitar World (same type of format as Total Guitar only it generally has better written articles and more lessons and whatnot. Mainly focuses on rock and metal with the big articles, but the lessons and tabs cover a pretty wide selection of genres)
Guitar Player (focuses more on technique and gear, has some interviews and whatnot and general interest articles about guitar related stuff as well, but they usually aren't as good as Guitar Worlds)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I've yet to find a guitar or bass mag that focuses on technique development and playing styles over ramming as many advertisements for ****ty gear and intermediate lessons down my throat, if such a thing exists it'd be great to hear about!
Either Total Guitar or Guitar Techniques.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
British:
Guitar Techniques
well really that's the only British guitar mag I like, Total Guitar is ok sometimes, but not worth the price IMO (at least not here in the states)
American:
Guitar World (same type of format as Total Guitar only it generally has better written articles and more lessons and whatnot. Mainly focuses on rock and metal with the big articles, but the lessons and tabs cover a pretty wide selection of genres)
Guitar Player (focuses more on technique and gear, has some interviews and whatnot and general interest articles about guitar related stuff as well, but they usually aren't as good as Guitar Worlds)

get nothing but guitar technique it focuses on playing the guitar
GUITARIST!

dont get total guitar unless your 5
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by uk.mace
Guitar World. i used to get TG but found that the tabbing quality recently has gone downhill.

+1

I get both and GW is the better, although it's more about musicians and bands than JUST lessons.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Total guitar is good for learning alot, but Guitar Player is far better than Guitar World if you enjoy more than just metal/rock. It features lots of unknown or lesser known players from lots of other genres.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by Jordan987
How much is Total Guitar if I'm in the US?

at newstands it's like $12, though that may have gone up due to inflation, no clue how much a subscription would be.

Last.fm
i <3 guitar world.
Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.

Guitar Player.

Never Subscribe to guitar world its a terrible magazine.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Quote by Jordan987
So must people like Guitar World but some hate it with a passion?

meh, they do come out with some really bad issues sometimes, usually once every four months or so.

Last.fm