hello everyone, my question is that i am a full out bassist. classical thump by victor wooten, the dance of eternity by dream theater, i both can play on bass. but now, i just bought an epiphone les paul special model (i know it's not a good guitar, but it will do with me), and i have been having fun messing with it. the problem is that im bad . like i want to become one of those people who switch inbetween electric and bass guitar and are good at both, but im only good at bass at the moment. i would not want to play the electric guitar in a band because i would still rather play bass, but i would like to learn to play because one of the reasons is that i try to show my guitarist a riff, but i cant play it cause i suck :P.

so the questions are:
how hard is the transition?
is it a waste of time?
what are new techniques i would have to learn?
what are good songs to gradually get more of a "guitar styled" rather than bass styled?

P.S, lol the only thing i can really play is smoke on the water (just the main rifs), and improvise on scales. and i don't want to be like a guitar legend, i just want to be good enough to play songs like closer to the heart of layla, no crazy joe satriani stuff
I went from guitar on to bass, but I'll give ya a few tips...
1. CHORDS: Learn them. Learn them well, you won't regret it.
2. Learning a new instrument is never a waste of time. You'll probably find that playing guitar may even boost your bass skills, as it will give you a new perspective on the instrument.
3. Either get lessons, or at least play with other guitarists a lot.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I started with Bass as well, it isn't that hard since you already know the ebb and flow of guitars. But as a guitarist, it's more to memorize and you'll develop different skills.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
It's ceartainly harder than going from electric to bass, but it's do-able. learn chords, learn theory, and after learning gutiar, you'll be much better at bass.

the only thing i can compare it to, is like switching from tuba to trumpet.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
give up..

let me tell you a fact. bass is for you lower thinking retards. i mean 2 extra strings. its hard. and u actualy have to be good an thinking and making stuff up.

i mean lets face it bass sucks and if your good at it its like being good at picking my nose.

so really id give up. then id kill myself. cus u suck noob
Quote by cashewchaching
It's ceartainly harder than going from electric to bass, but it's do-able. learn chords, learn theory, and after learning gutiar, you'll be much better at bass.

the only thing i can compare it to, is like switching from tuba to trumpet.

i am listening to all of you guys, but the one thing is that i have my musical theory almost all down (i feel confodent in my knowledge), EXEPT chords. i don't understand, is there a principle to make the chord you want (like with a series of notes, make an Gm chord), or do you just have to memorise every damn one

and i also don't get what the 7 means in a Em7 or any note like that.

SO........ any ideas of where and how to learn chords too??
Quote by Bedhead03
give up..

let me tell you a fact. bass is for you lower thinking retards. i mean 2 extra strings. its hard. and u actualy have to be good an thinking and making stuff up.

i mean lets face it bass sucks and if your good at it its like being good at picking my nose.

woah, hello. just because it has two less strings, and seems simpler doesn't necessarily mean it is. The bass is the heartbeat of the band, keeps the groove, and the rythym. While modern bass has become simple, it's a very mature, necessary, and thankless job in the band.

you sir, are an idiot.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by Bedhead03
give up..

exuse me, listen to this song and tell me bass sucks (i can play this on the bass)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FvXUVHECwM

and your the one who says bass f*cking sucks, you suck you dick, it all depsends how you play it. Everyone thinks bass is a gay instrument because everyone PLAYS it like a gay instrument. but people like victor wooten play the bass in a cool way, making it cool. so there is no such thing as good instruments and bad ones, only how you play them
ohh i thank you kindly for raising yourself to string a sentance together. now go back to ure telly tubbies.

oh and heartbeat of the band is the drums

but you wouldnt understand that.
Quote by Bedhead03
give up..

i know someone whos a lefty bass player and when he plays one of my guitars he flips it upside down and still plays it amazing, it just takes some practice
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by bassbrotha
exuse me, listen to this song and tell me bass sucks (i can play this on the bass)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FvXUVHECwM

and your the one who says bass f*cking sucks, you suck you dick, it all depsends how you play it. Everyone thinks bass is a gay instrument because everyone PLAYS it like a gay instrument. but people like victor wooten play the bass in a cool way, making it cool. so there is no such thing as good instruments and bad ones, only how you play them

sorry i fell asleep waatcing it. this is like some strange way to increase youre bass ego
Quote by Bedhead03
sorry i fell asleep waatcing it. this is like some strange way to increase youre bass ego

if he can really play that then hes an AMAZING bass player and most likely would pwn you any day of da weekz0rz
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by Bedhead03
ohh i thank you kindly for raising yourself to string a sentance together. now go back to ure telly tubbies.

ok listen beadhead you f*cking loser. When did i diss drums any part of this thread? i never said anything bad about them. the only reason why i don't play them is because i don't have enough money and i don't have a job. and second, there is no heart of the band. no one is better than eachover. the heart of the band is the whole band playing togeather in harmony. now go stfu, and go listen to your stupid ass drangonforce
Quote by Bedhead03
nice to see i made an impact

ya you b*tch cause all you want is attention, f*ck.
Quote by cashewchaching
woah, hello. just because it has two less strings, and seems simpler doesn't necessarily mean it is. The bass is the heartbeat of the band, keeps the groove, and the rythym. While modern bass has become simple, it's a very mature, necessary, and thankless job in the band.

you sir, are an idiot.

whats that bass is the heart beat. wow i swear you just said u didnt say that. your stupidity grows.

of course you cant get a job no one wants to employ a bassist
f*ck im done posting in this thread, i'm done with talking to these 12 year old low lifes, seriously, i'm not coming to this electric guitar section again for my bass to guitar needs. if i want b*tching, i could just piss off people, like what you kids are doing, but i'm not putting up with this, seriously.
Quote by Bedhead03
hmm my work here is done.. let that be a leeson to you all.

im putting you in my sig for being a huge **** sucker
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by Bedhead03
hmm my work here is done.. let that be a leeson to you all.

My God, you don't understand how hard the bass is, do you?

Are you aware that you have to be 13+ to join these forums.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Bedhead03
give up..

lol this just made me think of six string basses i hope this guy knows they exist just to make him feel like a douche
edit: i also think he should know that the bass is the heart beat of the band the part of the drum he is thinking of as the heartbeat is the "bass" drum
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Last edited by alternitivebass at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by cashewchaching

you sir, are an idiot.

This.

And don't even get me STARTED on the finger reaches!!
DIO FOREVER
Quote by Bedhead03
give up..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y5XeVLJeMdE

Claypool thinks otherwise.

i am listening to all of you guys, but the one thing is that i have my musical theory almost all down (i feel confodent in my knowledge), EXEPT chords. i don't understand, is there a principle to make the chord you want (like with a series of notes, make an Gm chord), or do you just have to memorise every damn one

SO........ any ideas of where and how to learn chords too??

Well, it's best to take them a step at a time. I first got the hand of open chords, then barre, and etc..

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by bassbrotha

Thats an E minor chord with an added 7th.

This is where theory comes in
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
Quote by Bedhead03

You come into this thread making that first comment and then you have a big enough sack to start flaming others. GTFO you don't even deserve this comment.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd