Ok i've been struggling for a while now to find what i need to do to my MIM Tele to make it versatile and sound great.

I have a Peavey Valveking 112 and a cheap overdrive pedal from Target.

I want a great blues/rock kind of tone but i find that my tone is just too thin. sort of like John Mayer's Tone in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0rKZi_fQgg

I think it is the pickups. I've tried to eq my amp a thousand different ways but i still haven't gotten exactly what i want. I was thinking about changing the neck pickup to a strat pickup. Maybe a Texas Special? I also heard that if i stacked some overdrive pedals that would help as well. Would that help?

If any of this isn't really going to help though, should i sell the telecaster and buy strat?

Thanks in Advance.
Last edited by euphorictacos at Jul 20, 2008,
You probally need a new amp to get that tone.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
I would recommend you remove the target OD from the mix immediately. Your VK's drive channel should blow that little thing far out of the water. If you find the tone is thin, one option is always to put heavier gauge strings on it, .011s would do the trick. I wouldn't recommend a pickup change quite yet.
Quote by bBreaker
You probally need a new amp to get that tone.

I was going to say that, the Valveking's not a great blues- rock amp at all.

Also, what kind of Tele are we talking about here?
more mids
stacking ODs can't hurt, but make them decent ones
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
that's more of a "strat" tone than tele. that being said, stock MIM pickups are pretty rubbish (they're ceramic, i think), a switch to something alnico-based should help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm, I think a blues juniour/deluxe would get you closer to this tone. maybe a screamin blues on low distortion, not quite sure bout the pedal though.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Try messing with the height of your pickups to get more bass respones dunno if that would work.
Quote by |Matt Dolan|
Hmm, I think a blues juniour/deluxe would get you closer to this tone.

true- but from what i can remember of the valveking, it had a reasonably fendery clean channel. Nowhere near as nice as a fender clean channel, but it was in the ballpark. Which leads me to believe that it's either the pickups, or the fact that he's trying to get strat tones out of a tele. i could be way off, though, i have only tried the VK a couple of times, and not for very long.

Have you tried the in-between pickup setting on the tele, euphorictacos? that's probably the tele's most "strat-like" tone, i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Everything is wrong.

The VK sounds thin and bland. Not very close to a fender clean really IMO.

The tele is wrong, and has bad pickups anyway.

John mayer uses Dumble clones with vintage formvar strat pickups - these are top-end boutique parts. You'll only find pickups like that from fairly small boutique guys (CorduroyEW/BKP). The amps are pricey... On a budget you could compromise with something like a Blues Jr, but it won't be nearly as good at the end of the day.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
So for now a strat would be the best option?
I know he uses really low output pickups.

I may try to get a strat and blues junior with a tubescreamer?

Would this be close?
Quote by euphorictacos

Would this be close?

Probably about as close as you're going to get on your budget. Not a bad blues rig at all, though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Have you tried the in-between pickup setting on the tele, euphorictacos? that's probably the tele's most "strat-like" tone, i think.

I always thought of that as the tele sound.

TS, while the BJ + TS + Strat won't sound perfect, it should give you a very respectable blues tone. In fact, I would get the BJ and not worry about the strat until you decide that your tele cannot at all give you the tone you want. I have a feeling that with the BJ you oughta to get a pretty nice tone with that tele and a nice overdrive.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by euphorictacos

Would this be close?

yeah, pretty much.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?