there is no difference in the fingering of a 6 n 12 string, but chicken picking is harder
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
if youve been playing for a while it shouldnt be a problem.the only time i played a double 6 was at a gig i should have had an electro-acuostic guitar and had to play on that 12 stringed.I played it in front of like 30 people and it wasnt a big deal.chords feel more nice but the picking is a bit harder
what is chicken picking? that term always pisses me off haha, is it fingerpicking? whats the difference between "chicken" picking and finger picking?
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
I don't really know much about 12-strings at all (hence I'm asking here before I go burn a chunk of change on one). But how much do you think you have to spend for it to be a decent quality guitar and do the strings just essentially harmonize with one another?

Edit:
How much harder are bar chords?
it's harder to solo on it...there's no difference in chords tho.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
chords are no different. the strings go e E a A d D g G B B E E i think thats the right ones. Youll get some more high end out of a 12 string
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Shawnstoppable
I don't really know much about 12-strings at all (hence I'm asking here before I go burn a chunk of change on one). But how much do you think you have to spend for it to be a decent quality guitar and do the strings just essentially harmonize with one another?

Edit:
How much harder are bar chords?

Chord shapes will be the same. Technique to play them may need to change a bit tho, due to those octave strings.
The 6 standard size strings are all tuned to standard, concert pitch.
The low E, A, D, and most of the time G, octave strings are all tuned to one octave above their counterparts, in other words to the same notes as those at the 12th fret of a standard 6 stringer. So you'll have: standard tuned low E + octave low e, st.A + oct.A, st.D + oct.D, std.G + oct.G. Then for the last two pairs, the B and high E, they are all tuned in unison, same note, no octave.
All this gives a 12 string a very full, chimey, bell like sound with lots of sustain and volume.
Barre chords are going to be a bit harder to fret. Twice as many strings to hold down, but they aren't so bad if you already have hand strength to do them properly on a 6'er.
I've been scouring the 'net for quite some time in search of a quality solid wood 12 string, preferrably a jumbo size, but made left handed. I've about given up because they 1)simply aren't offered, 2)are lousy cheap, or 3)are so expensive I'd rather spend the money on a new car. Emails have been sent, replies have been received, and I'm down to Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Yairi. Thus, sadly, I just can't afford one.
Good luck to you tho, I hope you land one that's just right for you.
i had a 6 string acoustic and recently bought a 12 string.at first it was a bit different but after only playing it for a week i can play all the chords just as well as on 6 and i can solo somewat well on it.i love my 12 string and would definetly recommend buying one and i dont know much about the one your looking at ony ebay
Guitars:
Gibson SG
Alvarez 6 string acoustic
Alvarez 12 string acoustic/electric
B.C. Rich Warlock
SQUIER
Ibanez 4 string bass

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace
-Jimi Hendrix R.I.P
I'm considering buying a 12-string acoustic guitar. How hard is to adapt to playing one?

Depends how long you've been playing and the style(s) of music you wanna play. If you just want to strum then you want find it much different. Techniques like fingerpicking and playing lead parts will take more practice.

And is it a bad idea?

Only you know that. Depends how interested you are in the 12 string guitar.

I wouldnt recommend it. If you want something decent, you wouldnt have to spend much more to get something far better. If you want something cheap you could probably spend less and get something the equal of that guitar.
Quote by Shawnstoppable

I haven't heard of this brand before..

And I think twelve-strings are easy to get used to, strumming wise. The 12 strings are paired and are so close together that it's almost acting as a single one. And it's easier for some (read: me) with big hands because of the wide fretboard it has, which is a little bit smaller than a classical guitar neck.

Picking is a little bit trickier to get used to. It's awkward at first, but then u get used to it.

I don't "like" the guitar from the link.. and I'm only judging it by aesthetics (to be honest). If you're looking into purchasing a 12-string and you're not too sure if you'll like it, I'll recommend you go to the nearest guitar store and try them out. That way, you'll have a better feel for the instrument.

And. Good luck!