well i have this multi effects pedal i got a while back but its a guitar pedal and i was wondering if i could use it with my bass then run it through my bass amp. will this work? ive tried it before and its worked but i was wondering if i was just lucky with out damaging my gear. im really just worried about my amp but i dont wanna ruin the pedal either it was kinda pricey. im just wondering if the bass frequencies will screw with the pedal or if the distortion levels from the pedal will mess with the amp.

thanks
'
-damian
bass - That thing that goes bum bum bum.
It won't damage your gear. Worst thing is that it won't pick up some of the Bass' low frequencies and may sound wierd at times, but that never REALLY happens.
well im not worried about wierd cause thats what im looking for. ive been experimenting with alot of different sounds lately. but your sure it wont mess with my gear?
they said it would be fine but they ovbiously wanted to sell it....
You'll just lose your low end thats all. Look how many bassists use the Big Muff, its a guitar pedal. No damage there so there isnt anything bad gonna happen except the loss of your low frequencies.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
You'll be fine!
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
It won't damage anything. However, it will probably sound like ass with some of the effects, as the pedal will cut your bass's low end.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I know the instrument we play is pretty hardcore, but not hardcore enough that the electric signal that represents its soundwaves could damage a device that reads, interprets, and augments those signals. As was said, you'll just lose some presence, as guitar effects are programmed to work with a higher frequency range.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
alright thanks guys. i had it put away for a while cause i was worried. what about my wah?? its a regular crybaby wah.. and i had an octave pedal that i took a few things out of im not really sure what but now its a killswitch pedal. should i worry about that at all since i altered the wiring?
Hi!

It will definitely not ruin your stuff: I use to play throug guitar effects before, buying some specific for bass (distortion, chorus & wah). My gear is still alive : )!!! You'll just loose some low end (like they said above).
Wah, chorus, distortion are all devices that augment signal. You can plug a guitar, bass, keyboard, microphone, CD player, electric drumset, or a talking Buzz Lightyear toy into any effect or pedal given you have the proper connection cable. No damage will occur, though the sound produced won't always be quite what you want unless you get an effect geared toward bass. And even then it won't always be the sound you want.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
alright thanks whylater that really helps. will it really work with a mic? yougives me ideas
A wahisone of the effects where you really should usea bass pedal, as the sweep of the wah is programmed to work with guitar frequencies. If oyu try to play a bass through it, you get what I best describe as a tinny mess.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Heartika
alright thanks guys. i had it put away for a while cause i was worried. what about my wah?? its a regular crybaby wah.. and i had an octave pedal that i took a few things out of im not really sure what but now its a killswitch pedal. should i worry about that at all since i altered the wiring?

Guitar wah on bass: You'll loose a LOT of low end, but if's that what you're looking for...

Guitar octave: It won't catch the lower frequencies (that's why digitech made a bass whammy (octaver and other fx), it's the only one I know that catches every bass frequencies... unfortunately they're no longer in production ...)
You could avoid loosing your low end if you bi-amp or blend an unaffected with an affected signal together.

You could get some quite unique tones this way.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by Heartika
alright thanks whylater that really helps. will it really work with a mic? yougives me ideas

the mic works.
my mate lives next to a nursery, and we plug a mic into his guitar multiFX board put on some distortion, delay and wah and tried to scare the little kids.......
Quote by jb_reborn
the mic works.
my mate lives next to a nursery, and we plug a mic into his guitar multiFX board put on some distortion, delay and wah and tried to scare the little kids.......

hahaha sounds like fun. what do you guys recomend for bass pedals cause i dont have an accual bass made pedal i only have like alot of guitar ones.

im looking for something that has killer tone and something that reallly makes it special. ive been looking at a few DI output boxs or whatever thier called but what do they really do and are they worth it? the real reason im looking is cause i have a crap behringer 180watt amp and i would accually like to start using it but the tone is so bad it makes me wanna throw up. my tube amp just isnt pushing enough watts lately.

thanks guys
-damian
hey me and my friends wanna do a few muse covers. and i need a bass distortion pedal for cheap. we doin time is running out,,, hysteria,,, and supermassive black hole. im kinda new but i can play all of those good enough.

So any suggestions on a cheap bass distortion pedal would be awesome.
TS a cheap EQ pedal(behringer) would improve the tone of your behringer amp, but if you want alot of tonal improvement its best if you get a new amp, cos as alot of people in this forum would agree, behringer amps do not have any tone.

and Slappy 1221, look into behringer distortion pedals.
You can change the eq on some guitar multi-effect so it picks up the low more. I've used mostly guitar effects for years. It takes some tweaking to find what sounds good and what sounds like crap, but it is possible to use them. A lot of effects behave differently on bass than guitar, but will keep the low end - wah pedals are a big exception.
I use a digitech GP200 with my bass (and guitar) and it works fine to give me extra gain, more middy eq, chorus, delay, or distortion if I needed it. I had to program setting to use exclusively on bass - which consequently sound crappy on guitar.
aight thanks jB_reborn im lookin into that. and im lookin into a russian muff but since i dont know a whole lot i might just take ur word and try for the one u said.
Quote by slappy1221
aight thanks jB_reborn im lookin into that. and im lookin into a russian muff but since i dont know a whole lot i might just take ur word and try for the one u said.

The Bass Big Muff has now be released, so if you want a big muff for bass, get it. It isn't great, but neither were the original Big Muffs.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
They came out withi the past couple of weeks. Finding one will be a challenge for a while (excepting major online retailers).

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
ive got a bass overdrive, cost me about £15, works, not great, the amout of distortion is stuck i think, so i can only blend the wet and dry signal, i am looking into buying a boss one.
i spoke to my friend who worked in guitar shops for 3 years, he reckons that behringer pedal tones are only slightly inferiour to boss ones, but the quality and reliability doesnt last long. ive got 3 behringer pedals, bass chorus, bass overddrive and bass EQ. the bass EQ works flawlessly, can definatly compete with its boss counterpart, but the bass chorus pedal broke after using it once, and the bass overdrive sucked after 2 months of use. ive had them for a bit over a year now.
A general rule is that Behringer instrument equipment should be avoided like a plague. Not saying all of it is bad (the pro audio equipment is supposed to be good value for money) but it is a good ground rule.

Also, I would avoid the Boss overdrive pedal. It has an incredible distinctive edge, and was really over the top, and I felt like I had very little control over the core tone while using it. I could never find a tone that would satisfy me for more than an hour or so at a time.

I would just say to play without distortion now, and then invest in a decent distortion later.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by slappy1221
wat about a behringer distortion pedal?

I got a Behringer Distortion pedal. It broke in two weeks.
mines not authentic. but i always think that squier is the most inferior type of bass out there. am i right?
You are wrong. Many people will tell you that the Vintage Modified Squire basses are just as good if not better than MIM Fenders. The Affinity series is not as good as the VM series but still really good for beginners.
i dont know what affinity or mim basses are but mines jus a squier jazz bass. i also have a squier p bass that i might sell. should i sell or keep for practicingn at my house and then keep jazz bass for band?
Affinity is the lowest range of squire basses, but the maple body means occassionally you get a great one. Mostly lowest quality squires, but they are still pretty good.

MIM = Made in Mexico, usually refering to the cheapest line of Fenders.

By the looks of it, you have a standard squire, which is inbetween the Affinities and VM series as far as general quality goes.

Many people would recommend any squire jazz as a starting bass, as they very rarely have horrible construction (though I have found one where I could wobble the neck around in the neck pocket), so if you test them first, they are generally solid first basses.

Squire is certainly not the lowest of the low. Many begginner brands have far lower standards, and do we even need to go into asian eBay specials?

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1