Page 1 of 2
Although it will be a sad day, but soon ill need to upgrade my dear Ibanez RG350, or perhaps sell it to make way for a new guitar.

Im generally more interested in amps, so im not too good at choosing a good guitar, so help would be apreciated. Id like a guitar capable of metal thats no more than £700 really, NO trem please, and if you could avoid recomending LTD's tht would be great

Anyone have any ideas?
if you find one which plays like a peach i don't see why not dude.

jackson, schecter and washburn have some decent hard tail models in your price range.
the schecter hellraiser is fantastic you should check it out
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 81TW/89
Fender 60th Anniversary Strat with Gibson P/Us
Line 6 Spider III half stack
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP50
i'm not certain, to be honest- £700 is a funny amount of money. you could (depending on model) chop £200-£400 off that and not get much worse (e.g. ibanez rga121/rg1570/washburn x50 pro), or add a similar amount and get quite a bit better (e.g. esp, vigier, even a custom build etc. etc.).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah this kinda price range is difficult for everything really. If i was sensible i wud get the washburn x-50 with the EMG's... as i have the x50 with SD's... but with an EMG 81, and i know tht plays well and sounds gd with the EMG... but i want something different i gues..
ah i didn't realise you already have a washburn...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
im still interested in a gibbo SG special... are they actully up to gibson standards, or are they just knock off's? Cus with an EMG i think it cud be quite an interesting guitar...
I'd recommend the following:

- Ibanez RGA121H with a pickup swap with leftover cash.

- Jackson RR5, leftover cash for pickups and you can resell those SD's.

Usually I have more but tonight I'm kinda out.

EDIT:

Quote by vitchb
im still interested in a gibbo SG special... are they actully up to gibson standards, or are they just knock off's? Cus with an EMG i think it cud be quite an interesting guitar...

They are considered to be the lowest quality of Gibson guitars; to be honest if I was going for a Gibson, I'd get a Standard at least. However, it's up to yourself. Try it out in store since Gibson QC is a tad sketchy and if you find a good player, get it!
Is the menace meant to be low quality too? seems like a bit of an odd ball of the gibson lot...
Quote by vitchb
Sorry no trem plz

oh sorry didnt read lol, the washburn x50 with the emgs would be a good one. maybe this washburn if you dont want to spend as little as possible http://machinehead.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/21_49/products_id/270 that seems like a bargain to me. ibanez rga121 looks nice as well but a bit pricey http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71824
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by Mwoit

EDIT:

They are considered to be the lowest quality of Gibson guitars; to be honest if I was going for a Gibson, I'd get a Standard at least. However, it's up to yourself. Try it out in store since Gibson QC is a tad sketchy and if you find a good player, get it!

+1. Prestige Ibanez are always a solid buy, and the RR5 is a sexy instrument.

I also would not buy a cheap Gibson (actually, I would probably never buy a Gibson period, but that's just me). With UK pricing, you'll get an even worse deal than you would in the US.
Quote by which ones pink
+1. Prestige Ibanez are always a solid buy, and the RR5 is a sexy instrument.

I also would not buy a cheap Gibson (actually, I would probably never buy a Gibson period, but that's just me). With UK pricing, you'll get an even worse deal than you would in the US.

O right maybe not then, its just that in the UK we can get a sg special faded for £450. Are SG standards good quality?
Quote by Mwoit

EDIT:

+1

Quote by vitchb
O right maybe not then, its just that in the UK we can get a sg special faded for £450. Are SG standards good quality?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=517222 that's not the faded version, and that's £100 cheaper in the USA. i haven't tried the sg standards, but they're meant to be higher quality than the fadeds.

Quote by vitchb
i've taken an interest in this now...

http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_RGT6EXFXBK.html?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Froogle

Is the fact that its not prestige mean it suffers on quality/playability, because its as expensive as other prestiges?

it's more expensive because it's neck-thru; it's probably not as high quality as an MIJ prestige.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
idealy id like a prestige, but there dont really seem to be any fixed ones that match my criteria.
the rga121 is prestige. it's bolt-on, though, and quite bright-sounding, if that affects anything.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the rga121 is prestige. it's bolt-on, though, and quite bright-sounding, if that affects anything.

Not sure about the looks with that, and pickups. Im considering just saving and perhaps investing in a gibson lespaul studio.
Quote by thedonutman
What about an ESP Edwards, Greco, Tokai or some other Japanese made Gibson knock-off.

Possibility.... my main concern about the LP is if the neck is too thick, being a metal player it might be a bit sluggish to play.
hm. i'd rather have a japanese copy than a gibson studio; however, your point about being a metal player is a good one, and also they don't sound all that tight for metal (though switching to more metal pickups would help). LPs are more rock than metal guitars if you ask me. though obviously zakk manages (but then his aren't exactly stock LPs either- i think they maybe have maple necks as well as emgs).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
hm. i'd rather have a japanese copy than a gibson studio; however, your point about being a metal player is a good one, and also they don't sound all that tight for metal (though switching to more metal pickups would help). LPs are more rock than metal guitars if you ask me. though obviously zakk manages (but then his aren't exactly stock LPs either- i think they maybe have maple necks as well as emgs).

OKay cheers for that. Considering my lack of options, i think i might take suggestions of trem guitars, which opens up a lot of options in the Ibanez RG prestige department...
^Why not just save up some more? A couple more hundred bucks could give you a mega huge selection to choose from.

Also, have you considered going used? Opens up many choices that wouldn't be available to you at £700~ range.
Why no LTD suggestions? i've always thought they were better than most others around the price, especially low end Gibsons.

Anyway, £700 is like $1400 right? I was sure you could get an Ibanez RG321F for around there, but i could be wrong. As Dave MC Said, RG121 is great.
i could go for something used your very right, have to have a look closer to the time. But i happen to hate the RG121 And the RG321 would be no improvement to my 350.
^ Oh...hmm...are you SURE you dont want an LTD MH-400?

Were my prices correct conversion wise? because i once suggested a guitar to an australian $800 out of his price range, thinking i was still under. I get confused on Occasion.
the conversion is right yes, and the mh400 does interest me, but i dunno... something about LTD's just dont really appeal to me, its like having a chinese copy of an Ipod... you just dont really feel satisfied by it. I KNOW that ltd's are good guitars, but i just feel if im ever going to get an ESP, its gunna be an ESP.
I have no idea about shipping costs, but when i did a quote on my Carvin it came out under 1400. Carvins are great. If your into signature models a (used) PGM301 would be great, but the looks arent for everyone.
Quote by Tubyboulin
I have no idea about shipping costs, but when i did a quote on my Carvin it came out under 1400. Carvins are great. If your into signature models a (used) PGM301 would be great, but the looks arent for everyone.

'Fraid i couldnt ship over a guitar, would cost a fortune.

A while ago i saw my guitar in a natural flat colour, with EMG's, fell in love, but i cant find it anymore. If that came back id snatch it up... but to be fair, i still dont see whats wrong in getting the X-50 pro FE... i know how it plays and sounds, and i wont be dissapointed :P
I do have an X-50 :P.... but for live, i need 2 guitars, standard and drop D tuning.... and D standard and drop C.

Cheers for helping, but i think ill have a better idea when i start getting more money to my name...
Quote by Tubyboulin
Why no LTD suggestions? i've always thought they were better than most others around the price, especially low end Gibsons.

ESP and LTD guitars are so badly priced here in UK that it's just plain rip off.
Quote by vitchb
'Fraid i couldnt ship over a guitar, would cost a fortune.

A while ago i saw my guitar in a natural flat colour, with EMG's, fell in love, but i cant find it anymore. If that came back id snatch it up...

?

Could you be a bit more specific?
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by Mwoit
ESP and LTD guitars are so badly priced here in UK that it's just plain rip off.

Have to agree with you for most cases there, my friend was sold a mh100 for £400, plays like a £200 guitar, havnt told him he got ripped off tho.
Page 1 of 2