I understand that gibson are not renowned for their basses and the thunderbird is an overpriced piece of rubbish. However, it doesn't disappoint in the looks department and so I've been looking for a while for a bass that could replicate the looks and not the *ahem* flaws. I recently discovered this:

http://www.gibsonbass.com/RDartist.php

It looks better than a T-bird in my opinion and if you look at the picture on the right hand side of the page, it appears there is no neck dive! Does anyone have any experience wth this bass, or hell, even know anything about it?
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
still looks like it would sound bad lol
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Gibson Thunderbirds don't have neck dive. The strap holder right behind the neck joint unlike the Epiphone. They're also, in my opinion, pretty nice.

If you're going for a T-bird lookalike the Spector Rex signature bass seems like a logical choice. Haven't played one myself though.

Also, that thing in the link looks like a P.O.S.
Quote by CaptainJack666
still looks like it would sound bad lol

well, there's active electronics so it probably sounds however you want.

Funny old world eh.
Seen them before,but didn't know much about them, older gibsons are pretty cool, this, and the grabber and the ripper, why they stop making those,and still mae T-Birds? Just why??

*SIGH* we'll never know

I know Twiggy Ramirez occasionally played one, round the mech animals era, think Gene Simmons gave it to him, then he gave it to Planet Hollywood, and went back to his T-bird...again I dunno why...seems a cool bass, expensive though
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose
Seen them before,but didn't know much about them, older gibsons are pretty cool, this, and the grabber and the ripper, why they stop making those,and still mae T-Birds? Just why??

*SIGH* we'll never know

I know Twiggy Ramirez occasionally played one, round the mech animals era, think Gene Simmons gave it to him, then he gave it to Planet Hollywood, and went back to his T-bird...again I dunno why...seems a cool bass, expensive though

Thanks for saying something helpful.

I've done my research on it and apparently, it has great tone and looks (if you like the looks of course), but it's really heavy and kind of uncomfortable to play. I might get one if I get rich, but for now I'll stick to less crazy basses.

Funny old world eh.
Quote by wouldyakindly
I understand that gibson are not renowned for their basses and the thunderbird is an overpriced piece of rubbish. However, it doesn't disappoint in the looks department and so I've been looking for a while for a bass that could replicate the looks and not the *ahem* flaws. I recently discovered this:

http://www.gibsonbass.com/RDartist.php

It looks better than a T-bird in my opinion and if you look at the picture on the right hand side of the page, it appears there is no neck dive! Does anyone have any experience wth this bass, or hell, even know anything about it?

--
If you're going to put my in your signature, please do not take the quote out of context
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Zycho
Gibson Thunderbirds don't have neck dive. The strap holder right behind the neck joint unlike the Epiphone. They're also, in my opinion, pretty nice.

Played a Gibson Thunderbird about two weeks ago, and it neck dived... horribly
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by lordofthefood1
--
If you're going to put my in your signature, please do not take the quote out of context

my bad, I didn't mean it to seem out of context, I'll make the correction.

Funny old world eh.
Quote by wouldyakindly
my bad, I didn't mean it to seem out of context, I'll make the correction.

Oh, I thought you were using it to refer to the Firebird, which would be.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by ChemicalFire
Played a Gibson Thunderbird about two weeks ago, and it neck dived... horribly

Uh, yea sure. Whatever you say buddy. I mean it's not like it's widely known that you can fix Thunderbird neck dive by putting strap holder behind neck joint or anything. Oh wait. It is.
Quote by Zycho
Uh, yea sure. Whatever you say buddy. I mean it's not like it's widely known that you can fix Thunderbird neck dive by putting strap holder behind neck joint or anything. Oh wait. It is.

Even if thats true, it's Gibson, they charge enough for it. Why can't they get it right? The guy in the store was even like:

"Yeah, they all do that"

So before you bring your douchey attitude down here, think about how it makes you look.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by ChemicalFire
Even if thats true, it's Gibson, they charge enough for it. Why can't they get it right? The guy in the store was even like:

"Yeah, they all do that"

So before you bring your douchey attitude down here, think about how it makes you look.

Lol, whatever kid. I'm not here to argue about the quality and price of Gibson Thunderbirds. The point is they don't neckdive.
... if you modify them

Seriously, pretty much all I could say on the subject is listed in this thread:

Thunderbird Thread

I know you may give me stick for just backing out of the argument, I'm going to, a flame war here is pointless.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by ChemicalFire
... if you modify them

No, that's the point. Epiphones neck dive because the strap is placed on the side of the body to the left of the neck (if you're facing it with strings out). Which means you have to either drill a hole or use the name plate's screws to mount a new strap holder.

Gibsons are neck through and do not have the name plate behind the neck joint. They instead have a strap holder. Which causes it to NOT have neck dive.
wow, my first thread to descend into a flame war... good times.

on topic, has anyone actually played this bass?

Funny old world eh.
Wooooh hold on there kiddies, this doesn't need to turn into a thunderbird flame thread, there is a special thread for that :P:

The TS asked about Gibson rd artist basses not T-bird's.

To the TS, i haven't tried the rd myself, but it shouldn't dive as much as the T-bird as the headstock is not so stupidly large.

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
A local high end used music shop had one of these on consignment. I didn't get to play it plugged in, but the bass was heavy as lead. I play a 13lb bass and this one felt heavier than that. The looks didn't really thrill me. If I was going to go for a vintage Gibson, I'd rather have a Ripper myself.

And lets keep the Tbird rants to the "Tbird" thread please...and this is the last unofficial warning.
Quote by anarkee
If I was going to go for a vintage Gibson, I'd rather have a Ripper myself.

These occasionally go on ebay for quite a resonable price too.

If I was a rich man rather than a jobless 16 year old I would try and get my hands on one myself.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
These occasionally go on ebay for quite a resonable price too.

If I was a rich man rather than a jobless 16 year old I would try and get my hands on one myself.

x

Yes, Rippers = Sex

I played a Epiphone hand-crafted Reissue the same day I tried the Gibson TBird, It was ****ing awesome.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Vintage Guitar did a column on that bass in the only issue I've ever bought, and apparently it neck-dives worse than any bass. The column said that when you reach for the end of the neck, you hit F#.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..