hey guys(and girls) I thought this would be the best place to ask about this.

My bass has regular chrome harware such as tuners, input, knobs. I would like to spraypaint them gold. Is there anyhting I need to do to the hardware before i paint or can i just do the job as is?
You can't do that. The paint will have nothing to adhere to, plus it'll look tacky.

You'll need some muriatic acid (watered-down hydrochloric acid) to pickle the metal.

I wouldn't reccomend doing this, though, as it is very dangerous and can easily destroy your hardware.

You could also electroplate it, but idk how, or if it'll work worth a damn.

Just get some gold-plated hardware...
sand the **** outta it so the paint will stick then paint it itll prooly turnout like **** tho
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.

-Timothy Leary
Spray paint on metal like that comes off really fast. I mean you wont get it back on before it has chips in the paint. If you want gold hardware you gotta buy it plated. Even then places your hand rests will rub the gold off.
acetone could do it... You could try spray paint for metal, but it'll most likely suck, ruin your hardware and or turn out looking like ****
personnally i dont know of a gold paint that would look good! it sounds like your gonna do it anyway but i agree with everyone else it wont look good after it starts to peel off! but if you must change the color break out the phone book and get them electra plated by a proffesional!!!!!!!!!! good luck
Electric Guitars Samick Torino,Jay Turser warlord, Jay turser jt-xg2( thats a double neck) New york pro Strat copy Acoustics Ibanez pf , new york pro and 3 nylons from the 70's
Er. I did his to a cheep guitar once. It worked out well. I scuffed up the bits well first. I used High Temp Engine Enamel though. It was black though. I don't think that stuff comes in gold. It looks good though. I just put several coats on and let it sit for about a week to let the paint finish doing it's thing, and because I forgot about them. It has been through a show and so far no chips. I know it will eventually, at which time i will touch it up. Just be careful with it. You should be careful with your guitars any ways.
they actually do make some spray paint for metal... like i spray painted my scooter with it and it looked cool... and it stayed on...

but as soon as you finally paint it all (assuming you paint it) it's going to start chipping and looking worse than the chrome ever would have... cause that's life
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
I've thought about going to the car painting shop to get the hardware sprayed black,that wouldn't work too?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
alright so it sounds like my best bet is to buy one. I guess Ill just do that.

but will replacing the tuners be something out of my reach or is it easy?
Quote by Broken-pick
I've thought about going to the car painting shop to get the hardware sprayed black,that wouldn't work too?

i would think that the money you pay for the shop to do it (if they even do it since it is a car shop) it would easier and probly cheaper to buy a new set...
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Quote by NCBass93
alright so it sounds like my best bet is to buy one. I guess Ill just do that.

but will replacing the tuners be something out of my reach or is it easy?

No, it's pretty simple.
O O

___