Okay, now that think about it, it wasn't as easy as that, but still, at least there isn't any electronics or stuff to worry about.

Basically I took my old Cort (Z22) and cut out a sheet carbon-fibre sticker into the shape of the body and headstock.

This was how it looked before (sorry, I forgot to take pics of my own before I started the project so I just grabbed some pics off the net):

End result:

(Click for big image)

(Please ignore the messy room in the background ^^')

I quite like the end result, please tell me what you guys think of it.

BTW, just noticed my guitar has a slightly different pot/switch arrangement to the one I found on the net... Oh well, nothing important anyway ^^'.

Rock on,
WmH
wow, that's a pretty sweet end result.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
It'd be sick to have a guitar with a carbon fiber finish with like a steel pickguard, one with like the little cross bump thingys.

That look pretty cool though, good job.
Quote by kenan6346
Looks cool, how is it to play? Does the body feel weird at all and is the tone the same?

i doubt putting a sticker on your guitars going to make much difference to the tone.

and good job, where did you get the sticker from?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
i doubt putting a sticker on your guitars going to make much difference to the tone.

and good job, where did you get the sticker from?

so wait is it actual carbon fibre or just a sticker
Quote by kenan6346
so wait is it actual carbon fibre or just a sticker

Basically I took my old Cort (Z22) and cut out a sheet carbon-fibre sticker into the shape of the body and headstock.

learn to read :P
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Wow, thanks for all the feedback. Glad you guys liked it. ^^

And just to make it clear, it is just a sticker, not real carbon-fibre...

I got the sticker from a big DIY type shop called Hornbach (I live in Switzerland) and they did actually have a metal flooring type sticker too:
http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/v/vi/victorix/495074_metal_floor.jpg

I actually hesitated on which one to get but I decided to go for the carbon fibre one in the end.
I might go and get it just to cover my pickkguard with it though.

The sticker was just a roll, I think about 55cm by 1.5m, so I had to cut it into the shape of the guitar myself.

---
Edit: For those of you looking for a REAL carbon fibre guitar, look here. O_o
Last edited by wmh at Jul 21, 2008,
Lol, thanks... I think. Everyone has their own tastes I guess.

You don't have to use carbon-fibre btw, you could use a sticker with a different pattern like brushed metal, metal flooring (see above), or anything you can find (that you like). I liked the carbon fibre so I did that.
very good job , the result is great does it play well ?
Well it doesn't really affect the way it plays... Plays the same as it used to (it's a cheap cort... what do you expect? ).

Just in case I still haven't made mysellf clear, it's just a sticker, not real carbon fibre...
Last edited by wmh at Jul 21, 2008,
Wow, nice!

Couple of questions: How did you get it on without loads of air bubbles/creases?

And if you change your mind, will it come off without messing the original finish up?
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
That's pretty sexy looking. I like the carbon look and I'd imagine the diamond plate steel (the criss/cross metal plate ) would look awesome too. And also some pretty neat cutting/fitting of the sticker itself, must have been one hell of a job to do.
First make/find a template of your guitar's front and cut the sticker into shape leaving about a 3-5mm extra edge.
The key to avoid bubbles is to make sure the surface of the guitar is as clean as possible before you start putting the sticker on.

While putting the sticker on, start from one side and stick it on gradually moving toward the other side and pulling it off if there are too many bubbles forming.
Since the surface of the guitar is really smooth, it's not too hard to peel the sticker off in case you have to adjust it or get rid of bubbles.

Once you're satisfied with it's position, use a long VERY sharp blade and carefully go around the edges of the guitar, cutting off the excess sticker, also making sure you aren't cutting/scraping your guitar's own finish.
Once that's done, it should stay there pretty tight although (depending on the material and/or glue of the sticker) you should be able to peel it off in case you change your mind.
Make sure you have some of that liquid to remove sticker goo though...
I think it is a great job , I just fail to see what was wrong with the great look of it originally.
Hey if you like the steel look in a guitar , there is always the option of buying "steel"

This is a reasonably cheap guitar but there are plenty cheaper & also the holy grail of resonators i.e. National
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix
I think it is a great job , I just fail to see what was wrong with the great look of it originally.

Meh, I've had that Cort a long time now and I just wanted to try something a little different with it. This seemed simple enough and it's not too hard to revert to its original look if I change my mind later on.