I know that in 2/2 a half note gets one beat while in 4/4 a quarter note gets one beat.

Still, I can't tell the difference between them. When I play something in 2/2, I play it the same way I would in 4/4. For me, it doesn't seem to matter whether it says 2/2 or 4/4. Is there supposed to be a difference in the way the two time signatures sound? All I see is a technical difference.
The difference is more of a feel thing rather than a real technique thing; a drummer would know the difference between 2/2 and 4/4 a lot more than your average guitarist will. Think of 2/2 as being short-hand for "half time feel".
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks for the reply man.

I can definitely feel the difference between 3/4 and 4/4, but not between 2/2 and 4/4. Any good popular songs that use 2/2 timing?
Quote by Octopus Garden
Any good popular songs that use 2/2 timing?
You could think of Maiden's "Aces High" as 2/2 with the tempo as H=120 (half note=120) rather than 4/4 with Q=240 (quarter note=240).
So in 2/2, a half note is supposed to get one beat. I have the habit of tapping my foot twice whenever I see a half note. Should I just look at this half note as I do a quarter note in 4/4 (a.k.a. tap my foot once)?
I'll assume you know that Maiden song.

You could count it "1 2 3 4" really fast, or you could count it "1 and 2 and." In the second count, you're tapping for foot half as fast.

You would use 2/2 time only when something is really fast. You generally don't want to write your tempo above 200.

"Should I just look at this half note as I do a quarter note in 4/4 (a.k.a. tap my foot once)?" The answer to that question should be obvious now, but if not, yes.