Has anyone ever tried putting acoustic strings on their electric?

I much prefer the feel of steel strings, and I find I play better on acoustics than electrics, and since most of the music I play requires thick and full distortion, playing acoustic all the time just doesn't work.

Would it work?
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Um. I'm gonna guess yes, although I've never tried it, based on the fact that when you buy Ernie Ball mixers they say strings for electric or acoustic on them...
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Okay, so how do you explain electro-acoustic guitars with magnetic pickups?

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Nope. Electric guitar strings need to be able to be picked up by the pickups' magnetic field.

i did not know that... wow
yeah ive done it. [acoustic strings on electric]
its not that great though.
putting electric strings on acoustic is nice though [in my opinion] - allows for a lighter sound.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Nope. Electric guitar strings need to be able to be picked up by the pickups' magnetic field.

I know that, but conisdering that most acoustic strings are made from bronze/steel/other metal, they should be picked up by the magnets should they not?

I'm going to have to try this myself aren't I.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I'm certain it will 'work', I'm not 100% sure how well, though. I think the primary reason that acoustic and electric strings come in different packs is just that acoustic sets tend to come with a wound G, rather than a plain one, as opposed to any major, material difference.

I'm near certain it will be fine... Try it anyway, and get back to us, it's not like it'll cost you much.

Quote by Doodleface
Has anyone ever tried putting acoustic strings on their electric?

I much prefer the feel of steel strings, and I find I play better on acoustics than electrics, and since most of the music I play requires thick and full distortion, playing acoustic all the time just doesn't work.

Would it work?

yeah
as long as the strings say elactric/acustic
I've seen it done and it works.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by Doodleface
I know that, but conisdering that most acoustic strings are made from bronze/steel/other metal, they should be picked up by the magnets should they not?

I'm going to have to try this myself aren't I.

Why, yes. You are.

I wouldn't think it wouldn't work... most acoustic strings are bronze, yes... but they're not magnetic like Nickel is. The reason acoustic/ electric guitars pick up a signal is because they use a piezo, I thought.
The reason acoustic/ electric guitars pick up a signal is because they use a piezo, I thought.

Many do, but not all.