I understand the V50 is a Class A/B amp, so it should be somewhere along the lines of doing metal. Despite what everyone says, the Peavey ValveKing sounds really good as well, not to mention it is super versatile. Just try before you buy, but good luck finding the V50 somewhere to try out
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
you should go to an out of town shop or somthing, cuase the valveking realy is the amp your looking for from your discription. I have the 112, I get fantastic cleans from it, and great distortion too...if your wantin to do SUPER heavey metal, you'll need to buy an OD, but I play A7X/B4MV stuff through this and I can nail the tone perfectly.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Oh really! That's surprising to me

I have never tried a V50, and I have no idea how that would compare to the VlaveKing, but I know that the ValveKing is really versatile, and nice sounding.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

I think you will be happy with it. Just make sure you try the **** out of that V50! Try dialing in tones from the bands you play, and see how easy they are to dial in. If you can't manage to get any good tones when you try it, make sure you don't get it.

Try it for at least 30 minutes. Just as long as you possibly can.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

I never understood the hype surrounding the valveking.

Just because its tube does not mean it sounds good.
Quote by al112987

I don't care if it's tube or solidstate, or a giant ball of ****, as long as I still get the same tone I'm getting now.

Just cuase it's an affordable tube amp doesn't make it bad.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
The Crate V30 is an affordable tube amp, it doesn't sound bad.

ditto with the Peavey Classic 30. Laneys are not that expensive either, all decent amplifiers.

It just seems like I'm seeing the valveking everywhere these days and I've always been underwhelmed.
Quote by al112987

I've tried the ValveKing. It sounds really good IMO. I'm not assuming anything just so you know.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Quote by al112987

The Valveking is an awesome amp for cleans and overdrive...

The bad thing about the valveking is that it not that great for metal.
Its only slightly better than some of the 120 solid state amps. There
are Solid states with more harmonic response actually. Hot OD
pedals will give you that 5150 tone..but none of the harmonic response
that you want to go along with it...

The valveking isn't great for metal...but everyone seems to get the
impression that it was made for it. If you dont want to play metal
it will definately be good for you..

If you like to change genres and dabble in aggressive rock tones..
it wont be the best choice.

You can find amps that have good cleans and insane settings at the same time.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
its pretty decent for metal IMO. you do need a OD and an EQ pedal to dial it in. see my profile for clips.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
^, I would describe the sound of a VK to be along the lines of Metallica's Marshalls with the slaved Mesa preamp. win for metal, especially with an OD. Change the speaker to a WGS V-30 and you get a very nice, fat chugga chugga sound.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by sg622
^i wouldnt give it that much credit...

I'm not saying the sound is as good, the VK's good but it ain't a Mesa. I'm just saying that's along the lines of the type of sound you get.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the V is more british voiced than the VK, if that affects your decision.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the V is more british voiced than the VK, if that affects your decision.

I'm not sure that's totally true. I've heard the V50 is pretty metal! The VK has a switchable class knob, which allows you to go from british voicing, to modern voicing.

The V50 is the only Crate V that is class A/B
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

I agree about speaker changes and such...but you get to a point where you've
hot rodded up things and you learn that its just better to take all of the money
and get something that is gonna be better than all of the upgrades anyway.

sometimes with amps $250 can make a world of difference.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Valvekings are so terribly mediocre, i don't get where all this praise is coming from?
It's probably because the VK is the only tube amp they have played.
I can't see the V50 doing metal all that great. So maybe just get a quality distortion pedal (no, not a metal muff) such as a Damage Control Solid Metal or a Blackstar HT-Distx.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
Valvekings are so terribly mediocre, i don't get where all this praise is coming from?
It's probably because the VK is the only tube amp they have played.

way to make a retarded assumption.
its versatile and cheap. anything else i need to add?
Quote by sg622
way to make a retarded assumption.
its versatile and cheap. anything else i need to add?

it sounds awful to my ears, anything else i need to add?

if you like it good for you, but I'm going to have to disagree, theres just better choices out there.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
it sounds awful to my ears, anything else i need to add?

if you like it good for you, but I'm going to have to disagree, theres just better choices out there.

there are better choices but the VK is the jack of all trades. master of none. which is great when youre on a $350 budget. finding an amp that can do metal with some help and good cleans is hard to do ESPECIALLY in that lower price range.
i wouldnt consider the cleans that good, for metal, you might as well get a used 5150 combo if you're going to spend money on new tubes, a new speaker and an od.
basically, if you want to play metal VK's are not a very good deal, for rock and stuff they're fine but the B-52 AT112 sounds better IMO and you can get them used for the same price.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
i wouldnt consider the cleans that good, for metal, you might as well get a used 5150 combo if you're going to spend money on new tubes, a new speaker and an od.
basically, if you want to play metal VK's are not a very good deal, for rock and stuff they're fine but the B-52 AT112 sounds better IMO and you can get them used for the same price.

you dont need new tubes or a new speaker to get metal tones.
and as for me, i dont only play metal and im sure most people who buy the VK dont ONLY play metal as well and we actually need usable cleans so the 5150 is out of the question.
and as for the b52, its a good deal and a fine amp but its just a bit hard to find and a bit more expensive (new) and a VK is a suitable substitute in those circumstances.
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx

Peavey VK>5150

The VK can give you a decent tone for just about anything you would want to play where as the 5150 is really only good for "teh br00talz" as the people on UG would say.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Peavey VK>5150

The VK can give you a decent tone for just about anything you would want to play where as the 5150 is really only good for "da br00talz" as the people on UG would say.

i wouldnt go that far. the Dist on the 5150 is far superior for a brutal sound but lacks in cleans.
the VK has decent cleans and i think a pretty good distortion channel (with a OD and a EQ pedal of course).
its a give and take relationship.

But seriously, please dont go around saying "VK>5150". you give us VK owners a bad name.
Quote by sg622
there are better choices but the VK is the jack of all trades. master of none. which is great when youre on a $350 budget. finding an amp that can do metal with some help and good cleans is hard to do ESPECIALLY in that lower price range.

Amen
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

whats with all the amp bashing these days? sure you may not like an amp, but that doesnt mean its crap. maybe YOU just cant get good tone from one. I know alot of people who have tried out my amp, and not like it, but when i play live i get compliments all the time for my tone.
Ive played VK, and its not amazing. but you know what, its also very affordable. people say "well if you spend all that money on upgrading it, you could just buy a better amp." although thats sort of true, it doesnt really apply if you slowly upgrade it over a long period of time. go try the amp out, perhaps youll love it.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Sandman61
what about blackheart with OD pedal?

Not loud enough for some people? I dunno.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Quote by the.spine.surfs
Ask to play the V with a TS9, and see if it's metal enough for you.

+1
And please don't order an amp on line that you have never played, that's asking for trouble. The V50 has 2 - 6L6 power amp tubes, so I doubt it's british voiced but that's anyone's ears opinion.
Try the VK and a B-52 and the V33. Try everything in your price range, seriously. These are all good starter tube amps.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
how desperate are you?

Well he was going to buy a VK off of flea-bay without trying one. What does that tell you as far as desperation? <--- yea I clarified that.
Maybe it's the Palominos I'm thinking a British voiced. yeah it is, 'cause they've got EL84s instead of 6l6's
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75