It usually happens when I'm doing scales and chromatic runs, I'm not sure if its because my thumb is in the wrong place or if my hand isn't relaxed enough. It isn't really bad, but I just feel a little tension in my thumb. What can I do to fix it?
Quote by Taxi_06
It usually happens when I'm doing scales and chromatic runs, I'm not sure if its because my thumb is in the wrong place or if my hand isn't relaxed enough. It isn't really bad, but I just feel a little tension in my thumb. What can I do to fix it?

it's probably both, the position of your thumb might be affecting it's tension, just try different positions and find one that lets you feel relaxed
+1 to :-D

( ^that just looks weird )

Most people starting out don't realize they use a death-grip when they play. Focus on getting clean notes while using as little pressure as possible.

There's a technique classical guitarists (and big band musicians in general) use called 'flapping'. First, hold the guitar and let your left hand go limp at your side. Slowly raise it to the neck while paying attention to any tension in your hand, wrist, arm, shoulder, neck, and back (it's all connected). Place your fingers on the 6th string (low e) lightly enough that the string doesn't move down twards the fretboard. Slowly raise your index finger about 1 inch off the string, then let it fall back under it's own weight (again, not pressing the string at all). Do this with each of your fingers for a couple minutes.

There's somthing called "sympathetic tension" where when you stress one group of muscles, the muscles nearby tense up as well to help you exert more force. It's great if you're lifting heavy stuff, but not so great for guitar as it can cause pain in your hand and slow down your playing. Make sure you're relaxed and comfortable while playing.

Hope that helps
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play