I was wondering something while on Musicians Talk. Do you think you become a good guitarist from playing alot each day, or steadily for so many years? I read about John Frusciante playing 10 hours a day as a kid, or Santana playing alot, and Im just wondering. For some reason, I lose interest in playing other peoples pieces, so thats why I am learning theory.
Yea, learning a lot of other people's songs gets quite repetitive to me due in part to some slight ADD, but mainly because I knowing strictly songs. Learning theory has allowed me to actually write my own stuff, which feels MUCH better to play than others. Really, playing each day should only be becuase you WANT to pick up the guitar every day, not because it'll force you to get fast or technically advanced fast. It's much better to be great at stringing together some ham fisted chords and write songs than be able to recite ****loads of theory and playing tons of notes that don't sound musical. Still, it's pretty subjective.

As Devin Townsend said (verbatim): "Practice as much as you need to in order to facilitate the ideas that pop into your head."
It seems like I start playing, and then an hour later, I find myself playing videogames, and I forget how that even happened...
good quote fanman, it's like you dont need to play fast to improv, but if playing faster makes the improv sound better then do it. Also, i like to "practice" (sometimes forced) to make it easier, so its more fun later when i do get ideas, or im playing with people.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Depends on the person. I used to play guitar everyday for long periods of time. Then I ended up having to work and homework, and eventually I just stopped playing. I rarely play now, and as a result my playing has suffered a lot.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
i played every day for years, then quit the guitar to play the bass for 3 years, then quit playing any thing until this past march, now my hands and fingers have to be reconditioned to play for long periods and to do what my brain tells them to do, i had quit for 2-3 years. but things are beginning to get back to where i was 6 years ago.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by AlskiOverload
Do you think you become a good guitarist from playing alot each day, or steadily for so many years?

Isn't it really the same thing, though? I mean...you're putting the time in no matter what, just in different configurations.

Hell, I practice every day and I still think I blow.

Quote by RG_FANMAN
As Devin Townsend said (verbatim): "Practice as much as you need to in order to facilitate the ideas that pop into your head."

Pretty much. Then again, Devin Townsend is a goddamn evil genius.
I think that past a certain point it's not the amount of time that you practice that matters; it's what and how you practice it. You can practice speed picking badly for years and not get it right but if you practice well for about 6 months you can get serious skills to rival the greats. Most people don't though, including myself; I can't force myself to woodshed like that, I'd rather play more and develop speed when I get bored of jamming to the songs I know.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I usually get on my guitar, come onto the UG forums and play while reading. I want to learn some theory stuff but my teacher is going a little slow for me, maybe i'll push him along.
I used to play quite a bit too. I gave it up about 3 years ago, due to work, study, sporting commitments and a young family. I started playing again about 2 months ago and I was surprised at how quickly I picked it up again. Having got over the first two weeks (sore fingers/palms) I found I was really “getting there”. In fact having only played for 2 months (everyday), after a 3 year break, I’d say I’m actually better than I was when I gave it up. It’s like muscle memory, the chord shapes and slickness came with only a little work.
Sometimes I’ll just sit about with my guitar, not plugged in, watching TV, and do scales and finger exercises, just to keep the finger/brain connection working and developing.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site