Ok well here i go, hurting myself. I was playing football on the weekend and i jammed my finger. My middle finger on my left fretting hand.i can kinda move it so im hoping its not broken its pretty swollen though. What should i do? Just keep kinda playing with the other fingers or stop and give it a break. Its summer so pretty much all i do it jam. I need my guitar ha. Im just kinda at a lose. Ive been icing it a lot. If it is broken will it do any like long lasting toll on my guitar playing?

Thanks. Im just a tad worried.
Gear:
ESP LTD EC 1000 Black
Squier Satin Strat H-S-S
ENGL Fireball 60w Head
Orange 1x12 Cab with Vintage 30's.
Monster Cables
Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3s XL
Ernie Ball 54-11

Quit guitar and give it to me.

P.S - Don't forget the amp and the pedals.

On a serious note, give it a break.
This is the pit, no matter what the question you will have one answer that comes up a lot:

fap.

EDIT: After reading I'll have to say just fap with your right hand.
rawr
Last edited by I Am Jack! at Jul 20, 2008,
is it turning colors?if not you should be all right,give it a brake though
member #4 of the lynyrd skynyrd fan club!

Hell yaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Quote by wshnationals
hell yes, redneckrocker2, hell yes.
I'd probably give it a break; you don't want to get use to using all you're other fingers. That could screw your playing up.
Ok thanks. But liek if it is broken and i need a cast. How could i prevent losing the strength in my hand. I broke my right hand and couldnt even type after that. Im a rep hockey player. I break all my bones... *gulp* Ive just been worried about this.
Gear:
ESP LTD EC 1000 Black
Squier Satin Strat H-S-S
ENGL Fireball 60w Head
Monster Cables
Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3s XL
Ernie Ball 54-11

i was GONNA say inb4fap, but its too late.

ice it some more, take it easy on the playing. should be a few weeks before its completely back to normal. week and a half or so before you can play with mild pain/discomfort.
Toes and fingers you can break and still move to an extent. I broke my toe a couple of months back and it swelled up and went purple. Go to hospital or a doctor's if it's still swollen in a couple of days
ohai little sig.
dam. Ok i mean i wanna play and stuff but if i totally mess up my finger for good i dont think its worth it.
Gear:
ESP LTD EC 1000 Black
Squier Satin Strat H-S-S
ENGL Fireball 60w Head
Monster Cables
Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3s XL
Ernie Ball 54-11

Quote by assparade69
i was GONNA say inb4fap, but its too late.

I just said it so others don't.

Also..

GO RAPE SOMEONE IT'LL FIX IT LOLOLOL.

Rape has been said now too people, don't say it.
rawr
so i should give it a break? Is there anyway to keep strength in my hand while theres a cast on?
Gear:
ESP LTD EC 1000 Black
Squier Satin Strat H-S-S
ENGL Fireball 60w Head
Monster Cables
Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3s XL
Ernie Ball 54-11

If playing makes you uncomfortable, then don't. Playing through pain may be something preached in hockey (I'm a hockey player to) but with something like a finger I personally wouldn't risk hurting myself playing. If it is broken you can't really do anything to keep the strength up (seeing as how they make the finger immobilized) but if they put you in a cast with some weight to it, the you could plant your arm down on a flat surface and slowly bring your forearm up. That will help keep your forearm muscle. Once the cast comes off, get a squishy ball or something to get your hand strength back.

Hope you didn't hurt yourself and that you feel better!
"Forget the rules. If it sounds good, it is good."
-Eddie Van Halen
Dude I really dont know...

If you injured it badly (especially if you broke it) and you dont let it rest yes, it will permanently impair your guitar playing. So its your call.
it happened to me, and after like a week or two it went away. it only affected me when i wanted to bend the string. besides that it was totally normal
ok cool. Ya my friend broke his arm, we sprayed it down with that spray that numbs you for liek an hour and sent him back out. Playing through it is in my blood. lol. I just reli fell like playing. So should i go get it x rayed or just kinda ice it, rest it and see how it goes?
Gear:
ESP LTD EC 1000 Black
Squier Satin Strat H-S-S
ENGL Fireball 60w Head
Monster Cables
Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3s XL
Ernie Ball 54-11

Yes
"Forget the rules. If it sounds good, it is good."
-Eddie Van Halen

Seriously though, better safe than sorry. Just go get it checked out I mean what's the worst that could happen?
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join