Well, the last time it turned out to be a bad speaker wire, but this time I'm afraid it's more serious.

This is what happens:

I turn my amp on, volume at 0. As I incline the volume, it gets gradually louder (but not as loud as it should) but then once I get to 5 or 6, there is a DRAMATIC drop in volume, so dramatic that the amp is pretty much inaudible. As I continue to escalate the volume, it does go up, but at around volume level 9 or 10, it only has the power of volume level 2 or 3.

HERE'S THE WEIRD PART: If I leave the amp at high volume like this and switch it to OFF, there's a significant surge of volume, followed by the volume fading (as it always has done).

I checked the speaker wires, no problems. All my tubes are lighting up as usual. I even changed them out with some spares and no luck, same deal.

Help...?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Sounds kind of like a bad power tube... dunno about the whole volume swell after turning it off, though.

On a side note, how do you like the amp otherwise? I've been considering one for when I go away to boarding school.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't notice that it was the '76 and not the XD.
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Jul 20, 2008,
vibro champ... the one from the 70s? or is it a reissue? my friend has one from the mid 70's and its kind of a piece of ****. it needs to be restored tho.

+1for the powertube bein bad
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Jul 20, 2008,
Sounds like a power tube to me, though I really couldn't tell you since I don't have the amp in front of me.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
To everyone saying power tube:

The power tubes both light up fine, bright orange, just like they always have.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
hmm nevermind then. maybe its just that the VibroChamp, the 70's ones, break completely after 30 years...

lmfao, every one of them
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by bjovi400
hmm nevermind then. maybe its just that the VibroChamp, the 70's ones, break completely after 30 years...

lmfao, every one of them

Damn, I hope not! I don't have money for a new amp; besides, I had grown quite attached to the little bastard.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Just because the tubes still glow doesn't mean they can't be dying.

The next time the volume swells like you say it does, look at the tubes to see if you can see any little shock-wave type things going up them or a change in color.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^Nope, no noticeable surge in the tubes. They just fade in when I cut it on, fade out when I cut it off.

EDIT: Wait a minute...

One of my power tubes lights up in two different places (at the base and about midway) while one only lights up at the base.

Did I just solve my own problem? I'll buy new tubes if I have to. I didn't think much of my amp before it broke today, but now I realize how valuable it is to me.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Last edited by dudetheman at Jul 20, 2008,