can you tell me under wow this sucks in my mp3 if it sounds decent bc the drums wernt indiviuly miced just one mic so im asking for opoions

thxguys
Last edited by NackerRrhythmG8 at Jul 20, 2008,
Quote by NackerRrhythmG8
can you tell me under wow this sucks in my mp3 if it sounds decent bc the drums wernt indiviuly miced just one mic so im asking for opoions

thxguys

I don't really understand what you're asking man, are you telling us to listen to something and tell you if its good? Just post back explaining what you meant in a bit more detail and we'll be happy to help ya out.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
In here we are all anemic
In here, anemic and sweet
yea thats exactly i just need to no if the drums sound good in messing aroundbc im useing a single mic to record instead ofseperate drum mics
Quote by NackerRrhythmG8
yea thats exactly i just need to no if the drums sound good in messing aroundbc im useing a single mic to record instead ofseperate drum mics

ok man, so what do you want us to listen to?
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
In here we are all anemic
In here, anemic and sweet
Well, for a quick demo, if you were to increase the volume, it would work ok. But for anything else, the entire sound is kinda weak. It's very dry. If you were to add a mic at the snare, and one at the kick drum it would sound way better. Just my opinion but I would work on it some more.

Wadester
Hmmm..... increasing the volume would only make it louder, but it would still sound the same.

It sounds like one mic in a room on a drum kit. Not terrible for what it is. That's what one room mic on a drum kit might sound like. Using a pair of nice quality room mics would make it sound a lot better, but it would still sound like a drum set in a room. I'd take that approach if I was recording a jazz combo, but not for a rock band.

Part of the sound of rock is not a 'drums in a room' sound, but a 'drums in your face' sound. To get those drums in your face, the mic needs to be closer. Much closer. Want the snare in your face? Put the mic an inch away from it.

But won't the snare be louder than the whole rest of the kit then? Yes! Solution - more mics!

A minimal mic setup for a rock band would be a kick, a snare, and two overheads. This gets the kick and snare in your face, and the two overheads (essentially room mics) capture the rest of the kit. For rock, you need *at least* the kick and snare in your face. Note that if you want nice tight pounding toms and stuff, this approach won't get you there.

Want those nice tight pounding toms in your mix to hit you upside the head too? You guessed it! Mic them too!

It can get very expensive, and very tricky to get a big larger-than-life drum sound for a rock recording. I'll venture to say that you won't get there on less than a grand.... minimum.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.