k so i just started messin with music theory yesterday and today i decided to jack with it a bit and try to figure out chords myself and then check them in this chord book i bought. i tried make a C# with the tonic C#, subdominant F, and dominant G# and i was right. YAY! but i noticed in the book it had F labeled as E# which yeah i know its the same thing but my question is is this the standard practice to label all the notes in a # chord as # or is it just like whatever. cuz then i looked up Eb and it labeled the notes as Eb Bb and G. why not Ab instead of G just for consistency? lol is it just random?

edit: derr Ab = G# not G but still an answer to the first question would be appreciated.
Please read the first 4 "chapters" of the theory link in my sig. It should explain this and if you're still confused, I'll work with you afterwards. However, I need you to understand intervals, scale construction, and the major scale.
i tried make a C# with the tonic C#, subdominant F, and dominant G# and i was right.
The subdominant of C# is actually F#

i noticed in the book it had F labeled as E# which yeah i know its the same thing but my question is is this the standard practice to label all the notes in a # chord as # or is it just like whatever.
In a diatonic scale such as C# major there are seven notes and each of the seven letters must be used only once. So C# major is C# D# E# F# G# A# B# instead of C# D# F F# G# A# C. You are correct that E# and F have the same pitch, but this makes reading and writing music easier
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums